Advertisement

Author Topic: Basketball Skills and Tendencies  (Read 6125 times)

bulbasaur

Basketball Skills and Tendencies
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »
Everyone has tendencies.  Some are good, and some are bad.  I am by no means a great basketball player (if I were, I would be pro), but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize my own and others.  Let's look at some. 

1.  The Favorable Hand

Most people favor one hand over the other, but some guys are completely useless with their weak hand.  I am one of them, but I have tricks to hide it.  When I started playing, I couldn't go left at all.  Defenders eventually figured this out, and all I had was the left side.  I eventually started going left.  These days, I prefer going left than right, even though my left is still far weaker.  I can finish with my left hand, but it's not a strong finish.  I prefer to post and fade from the left block, so that is always an option.  I can also pull-up faster going left since my right arm is more in line with the basket when driving left.  I can also do a harder crossover going left-to-right.   

I was complimented by a guy for my ability to go left and right, but the reality is that it is just an illusion.  My drive in general is not very good, which leads us to....

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Basketball Skills and Tendencies
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:21:26 PM »
2.  The Drive

I drive both ways, but my drive is more on deception than the actual skill itself.  After a  couple of shots, most defenders try to stop my shot, so it opens up my drive.  I just happen to have a 10ish foot floater and scoop, so I don't even need to finish hard.  All I really need are just a few steps.  In fact, I don't even consider myself to be a good finisher. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »
3.  The Bad Shooter

Some people simply can't shoot.  I was one of them until I taught myself how to shoot years ago.  There is nothing wrong with being a bad shooter being that most people are bad shooters.  Some guys shoot as soon as they touch the rock.  If you are a good shooter, then it's fine.  If you are throwing  up shots that aren't even close, then consider passing the ball. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »
4. The Ball Hog

Unlike many people, I actually don't have a problem playing with a ball hog.  As long as you are scoring, then whatever.  I have no problem doing grunt work.  I only have a problem when the ball hog can't play.  Not scoring.  Not playing defense.  Turnovers.  Etc.  I have an even bigger problem when the ball hog looks at his teammates like he's the only one playing hard and that his teammates are the reason why they are losing. 

A Ball Hog Story
Four of us regulars pick up the ball hog on the team.  During the game, he kept demanding the ball on every possession.  He wasn't even a point guard, but whatever.  Let's see what you can do.  In a game to 16, he must have turned it over 5 times, taken almost all of our shots, and only made 4.  No rebounds nor defense.  His guy scorched him.  Needless to say, we lost.  We didn't really care.  It ain't the first time we lost because of one guy.  But, the guy was b!tching after the game!  "Man!  I didn't have any help.  I scored 4 of our 6 points.  I got my points!  Those guys didn't run!"  WTF?  I was the only other person on my team to take a shot, and it was a 2 pointer.  I only got the shot because I grabbed a long rebound.  The dumb part is that I had to shoot over him and my defender because he was trying to get the ball from me!  The other guys didn't shoot at all. 

After we sat out a few games, we were up again.  The ball hog refused to play with us.  Whatever.  We picked up another guy.  The ball hog picked his own team.  We won the rest of the night.  The ball hog lost all his games and just went home. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
5.  1s and 2s

I am probably a much better player in games that have 1s and 2s.  A lot of times, I don't have to create my own shot.  I am just waiting for dishes.  In pickup games, I am usually pretty open.  For an open high school 3, I am about 80% (used to anyways, maybe no so much anymore).  Even on a bad day, I can at least make 50%.  So if I take 4 shots at 50%, I am still getting "a point per shot attempt."  If I am above that, I am more efficient.  In straight up games, my efficiency drops. 

That being said, that also means that my game doesn't always translate as well to an organized game where the system is 2s and 3s.  Most teams don't want to gamble on perimeter shooting when it is 2s and 3s.  Any slump might hurt.  That being said, Golden State and Atlanta did it, and they were pretty successful. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »
6.  One Foot or Two?

Some guys jump off one foot.  Some guys jump off two.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  I prefer jumping off one, but I have added a two off jump in the years.  Jumping off two tends to give that "power step."  And if you do it fast enough, you can get away with a travel.  I don't like the "legal traveling," but it's a part of today's game. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »
7.  I'll Cheat if You're Cheating

For the most part, I generally play fair, and I generally follow the rules.  However, I will cheat if you're cheating.  If you're cupping the ball, then I am going to cup the ball, too.  If you're traveling on your first step, then I am going to travel on my first and last steps.  If you're going to change your pivot, then I will change my pivot.  If you're jumping on my back, then I am going to flip you.  If you're going to charge, then I am going to charge.  I don't like playing this way, but no one wants to call cupping violations, pivot foot violations, over the back violations, and charges.   

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:29:16 AM »
8.  Foul Calling

In pickup games, I prefer people call their own fouls.  I prefer all calls to be respected.  I prefer that any foul call negates the basket.  Sometimes hard hits happen, but I still prefer the player call it instead of the defender.  The player could still make the basket.  Personally, if I hit a guy hard  by accident, I wait to see if the ball went in or not then call the foul.  Unlike the NBA, there is no pressure about calling the foul immediately. 

Why negate the basket on a foul call and not play continuation?  Because some douches call a foul on every shot attempt. 

Dumb Foul Caller Story
There was a guy who called foul on everything.  On a fast break, it was 2 on 1, and I was defending under the basket.  There was no way for me to stop them.  The guy got the ball.  I took two hard steps towards him and pretended I was going to jump for a block.  Instead, I just turned and got out of the way.  He yelled, "FOUL!" as he was jumping.  He was expecting me to jump, but I didn't.  He missed the shot all by himself.  Everyone was already annoyed by all his foul calling that day, and they just got extra annoyed at him now.  He got up and just said, "My bad." 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:35:23 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 12:44:21 AM »
9.  Dribbling

People think I am a good PG or a good dribbler, but I am not.  I don't think I am awful, but I am by no means good compared to the people who can dribble.  I am able to hide my shortcomings because I am a decent passer and I am pretty good about not making bad decision.  I am also comfortable playing with my back turned.  I also have a few dribbling tricks, which are more showy than effective.  I have a decent shot, so dribbling by the defense is a bit easier.  With all of these combined, I don't turn over the ball much and I get nifty assists, so I give the illusion that I am a good dribbling PG.  Put me up against someone who has real dribbling skills, and it's no contest. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 12:52:12 AM »
10.  My Fake Defense

These days, I am often asked to shoot.  However, I started playing basketball as a defender (mainly because I had no offense).  My defense is awful now (mainly due to fitness), but it used to be pretty good.  But from time to time, I get stuck guarding someone who is much bigger than me, and the guy is good at the post.  My solution?  Fake defense.  I find that many inexperienced guards aren't good at the inside pass.  So, if I just pretend I am blocking the passing lane, or that I see that they want to pass the ball, they simply give up.  The truth is that if they simply did a good and high pass inside, there would be nothing I could do....which has happened before.  I don't like playing this mismatch defense, but that just means I get the mismatch on the other side.   

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:30 AM »
11.  A Bag Full of Tricks

I think every player needs a bag of tricks.  Even if you primarily play guard, I think you still need a post-up move.  You may find yourself playing with guys who are smaller than you.  The same with big guys.  You  need some sort of dribbling skills because you may find yourself as the small PG.  If you're 6'3, you could be playing PG for some games and center for others. 

Personally, I don't post that much because there is usually someone bigger than me on my team, but I do have some post moves if the situation arises.  I prefer the left block with my back turned.  If I turn right, I can choose between a shot, fade, hook, scoop, or power dribble to go across the paint for those same options again.  If I turn left, I can choose to step back and shoot or try to find space to the basket.  My post moves aren't that powerful, and good defenders can pick up my tendencies pretty easily.  But, I think they are good enough to steal a few points. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 11:48:59 PM »
Never could dunk.  The highest I ever got was the rim.  To dunk, a person has to go above the rim.  To dunk in a game, a person has to have more hops because he has to jump further and over.  Dunking is a big man skill.  Even Nat Robinson doesn't dunk too much in a real game, and he has some mad hops for his size. 

all these and you can't DUNK...pssh! ::)  just kidding, homie!   :2funny:

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:51 AM »
It's just an analysis of my game and the game of others.  So far I have been talking more about myself, what I like to do in a game and what I am not good at.  These are more tendencies than stereotypes.  Very few people are actually good at every skill.  Generally speaking for me, I base my scoring off my shot, and my defense is more on hustle and positioning. 

But if you want to talk about different baller stereotypes, that should be a thread onto itself. 

Is this your version of basketball stereotypes except it pertains to you?

Advertisements