Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help ASAP! 2001 Honda Civic LX inner tie rod removal  (Read 3112 times)

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Need help ASAP! 2001 Honda Civic LX inner tie rod removal
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »
Here's the problem. I'd  this car for a long time, changed out the struts and shocks once already but now redoing it again and this time also changed out the lower control arms. After doing this my steering wheel is out of alignment, I've not touch or pull on the tie rods by the way. So in trying to correct this problem. I messed up the inner tie rod threads on the drivers side and end up chopping a good 3/4" because I need to be able to steered out of the garage. My problem is, I got myself one of those Pittsburgh inner tie rod removal kit tool and try to use it on it but this 01 Honda Civic  has a bolt right next to inner tie rod where it attaches to the rack and pinion. Each time you insert the tool to it, it keeps hitting the bolt. What kind of tools do you need to get this inner tie rod out without having to take the whole rack and pinion off? I pretty much gave up on it and called the shops, but they want $500+ with labor and alignment, excluding the parts. I'd already spent way too much money on what this car is worth already. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Need help ASAP! 2001 Honda Civic LX inner tie rod removal
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »
YouTube it, that's normally how I do my stuff.

Eric the car guy. 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »
He has only worked on easy jobs or different designs with the short tie rod with the boots. Mine is a special case. Had scowl the whole internet for diy for this particular make, none has come up.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
He has only worked on easy jobs or different designs with the short tie rod with the boots. Mine is a special case. Had scowl the whole internet for diy for this particular make, none has come up.

Really, looks like plenty of info available...Pl us, you can always join a Civic Forum and ask them too...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=strict&q=2001+honda+civic+inner+tie+rod+replacement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »
Yeh, it does show a lot of hits but no real answers. Guess I'm stuck with chopping it up a perfectly good wrench and modded for this inner tie rod removal procedure. :( No use in joining forums if you don't go often.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:19 AM »
Yeh, it does show a lot of hits but no real answers. Guess I'm stuck with chopping it up a perfectly good wrench and modded for this inner tie rod removal procedure. :( No use in joining forums if you don't go often.

If all that "real" information can't help you, you shouldn't even attempt it. There's even a DIY for the same gen Civic (2001-2005) in the link. Joining a Civic forum is a better bet than here.

Hamster_Hero

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »
Damn, none of ya folks who are mechanically inclined in here willing to help the brother out?

If dude loses control of his vehicle and hit a telephone pole, I'm not responsible for it!   ;D

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 11:41:30 PM »
Naw, wouldn't be our fault, if he drives on it like that, it's on him, he knows better. 

Plus, it's one Internet, just google it.  That's how I been fixing/hooking up my teggie, I just YouTube and search the car specific forums.   

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Sifu

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »
No, shifting blame doesn't work.  Post a photo of the inner tie rod and the steering rack.  Maybe there's something we are all missing.  And post up your Pittsburgh tool.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:22:39 AM by Sifu »

Hamster_Hero

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
No, shifting blame doesn't work.  Post a photo of the inner tie rod and the steering rack.  Maybe there's something we are all missing.  And post up your Pittsburgh tool.

Dude has not responded back in awhile....... I worry for him.  Perhaps he's already a skeleton in a ditch by now, all because of you folks in here not willing to give a helping hand to a fellow Hmong brotha!  Shame on all of you!

yuknowthat

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »
use the pittsburg tool it should work. if not pull the whole rack and pinion out. just make sure you mark your tie rod.

dirty martini

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:03 PM »
you don't need that tool on this generation civic.  All you need is a large enough cresent wrench.  It is a haha doing it on the car though.  The manual suggests to pull out the whole gearbox, that's why the shop  is quoting you so high. 

Advertisements