Advertisement

Author Topic: Words at the tip of your tongue and language  (Read 5990 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
Re: Words at the tip of your tongue
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
English is a complex and altogether messy language. It's borrowed, substituted, chopped and cut and pasted from other languages in the past. And when words don't suit our needs, we make more up.

I'm in agreement with you in that words sound better in my inner dialogues than they do when spoken out loud. When I do enunciate words properly or try to, I end up adopting a very uninterested monotone.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 04:47:41 PM »
English is a complex and altogether messy language. It's borrowed, substituted, chopped and cut and pasted from other languages in the past. And when words don't suit our needs, we make more up.

I'm in agreement with you in that words sound better in my inner dialogues than they do when spoken out loud. When I do enunciate words properly or try to, I end up adopting a very uninterested monotone.

Definitely complex but for some reason that's what I love about it.  With the word, "toward," I've had to say it a gazillion times to finally have it sound like the way I want it to sound.  I looked up the pronunciation and found two different ones.  This just confirms why the word is so difficult to pronounce.  One was too - ord and the other was toe - erd.

Wonder how Kylo Ren would say it....LOL.

zena

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
A word that I did not know how to pronounce until like a couple a years ago was: bouy.  You know, those floating things in the water.

I pronounced it as "boy" but it's "boo-ee."  Guess who corrected it for me.  The husband.  ::)

BUT.  I did correct one of his words. It was faux.  He pronounced it "fox."  Told him it was "foe."  ;D

zena

Re: Words at the tip of your tongue and language
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
I've always liked diphthong since I heard it in linguistics.

Say it 5 times. LOL.

zena

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »
I always thought the word, vehement, was pronounced: ve-ha-ment.  It's actually, vee-a-ment.  ::)

zena

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
I always get these words mixed up:

conundrum - n. a difficult problem

compendium - n. a publication containing a variety of works

Advertisements