Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it advisable for one to start on a 1000cc sportbike?  (Read 5634 times)

Hamster_Hero

Is it advisable for one to start on a 1000cc sportbike?
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
I ask this because I want to get the Honda CBR 900rr because I like how they look for being an older bike..... I'm talking about the badazz looking 1st gen dual headlights one (Ya'll know wassup with it's sexxiness!), though I would be fine with the ones that came after it.  Do you think it will be a problem to start off on a big litre bike so long as you take it easy?  Some say it makes no difference whether you start on a 600 or 1000 so long as you take it easy and learn throttle management.

Look forward to seeing this Hmong dude representin' on the big stage that is MotoGP!  Rossi and Marques ain't got NUFFINS on me!  :)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Is it advisable for one to start on a 1000cc sportbike?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:03:58 PM »
I ask this because I want to get the Honda CBR 900rr because I like how they look for being an older bike..... I'm talking about the badazz looking 1st gen dual headlights one (Ya'll know wassup with it's sexxiness!), though I would be fine with the ones that came after it.  Do you think it will be a problem to start off on a big litre bike so long as you take it easy?  Some say it makes no difference whether you start on a 600 or 1000 so long as you take it easy and learn throttle management.

Look forward to seeing this Hmong dude representin' on the big stage that is MotoGP!  Rossi and Marques ain't got NUFFINS on me!  :)

Like most things in life, it pretty much comes down to the individual in terms of "Do you think it will be a problem"...so just depends on you.

The throttle, brakes, clutch, steering, and body positioning are under the rider's control so it can be learn. Some can learn to operate those things quickly but some need more time as learning curves vary.

On the other hand, the weight, height and overall ergo of the bike cannot be control unless you intend to spend a shiny dime to make it right for you.

My suggestion for people that are interested in motorcycling but don't know much about what's right for them or where to start is take the MSF course first then go from there.

yuknowthat

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »
I took the motorcycle safety course. After I got my license. I started with an 250 dirt bike just to get a feel of riding on my own on dirt areas then move on to my 600 crotch rocket that I bought at the time. Now im riding an R1.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
I took the motorcycle safety course. After I got my license. I started with an 250 dirt bike just to get a feel of riding on my own on dirt areas then move on to my 600 crotch rocket that I bought at the time. Now im riding an R1.

Yep, many started your way. Some started on bigger bikes and are OK too so just depends on the individual and his/her comfort level...

My bike suggestion for newbies is usually: Get used and cheap as long as it's mechanically sound and more importantly, you are comfortable learning on that bike. Keep in mind, it's your starter learning bike, not your last one in most cases....

hua

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Its all on you. In general... a 1000cc bike is not very forgiving if you accidentally give it too much throttle, it's why its easier to learn on something smaller like a 250cc.

But it can be done as my brother took the MSF and then hopped on my R1 as his first bike and has never had any incidents with it.

Hamster_Hero

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
Its all on you. In general... a 1000cc bike is not very forgiving if you accidentally give it too much throttle, it's why its easier to learn on something smaller like a 250cc.

But it can be done as my brother took the MSF and then hopped on my R1 as his first bike and has never had any incidents with it.

Do you get chicks though?  That's my main goal in wanting to ride motorcycles.   ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »
Do you get chicks though?  That's my main goal in wanting to ride motorcycles.   ;D

If that's your "main goal" then don't do it...

Hamster_Hero

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »
If that's your "main goal" then don't do it...

I was just kidding, SON!  I'm a hardcore racing enthusiast.... .. I'm talking Gardner, Agostini, Rossi, Bayliss, Doohan, Rossi, etc.  I knows mah shit, SON!

Been watching MotoGP for years now so I ain't no stupid Biker Boyzzzz.  Seriously, one thing that makes me hate the motorcycle world is these people on sport bikes acting like a fool and making other riders look bad, unfortunately these idiots stand out to the general public who doesn't understand the motorcycle world and think that everyone who gets on a sport bike are just reckless adrenaline seeking people. 

But when I do get my bike, I'll meet you Hmong squids on the road course track and show you how to hit the apex instead of boasting how you're a 'racer' by going fast in a straight line.  HATE ME!   ;D

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:15:18 PM by Hamster_Hero »

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »
Mine is only 49cc and i almost got myself in trouble already.  Too much throttle sent me over the curb when I made a slow turn.  Good thing the bike's seat is only 23inch high. 

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »
You can start on any CC bike you want. It is easier to maneuver a smaller bike, but that doesn't mean you have to start out on one. First bike I bought was a 1995 CBR900RR & I only ride liter bikes now. Its entirely up to you what you want to ride.

I know some people who look an R1 to the road course and passed with flying colors. Then you have some people who have to take a 150cc bike to pass the test. Just get comfy with whatever bike you get and practice safe riding. Cheers...

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

Advertisements