Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Review 2016  (Read 23389 times)

zena

Moonangel's Book Review 2016
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
Welcome to my 2016 book review.  Not sure where this post will go since I am considering blogging about my book reviews, but while I am here, I hope I will keep you company with my reads.

Currently I have 2 books on my plate.  The first one is called, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas.  It is a fantasy YA.  The second book I'll be reading is called The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.  This story is now a movie that will be out on January 22nd.  My goal is to read it before I see the movie (daughter is dying to see this one so we'll probably go as soon as it opens).  The 5th Wave is an apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic sci-fi paranormal YA.  This one is not a YA for sure.  The protagonist might be young but it's definitely not anywhere YA just to clarify.

Add:  My goal this year is to read 40 books. I am also going to delve into other fiction and....drum roll...back into....nonfic tion!!!!!  I think I should be able to handle the realities of nonfiction.  It's going to be tough but I think I might be able to do it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:03:02 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Review 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
Finished reading The 5th Wave.  It was amazing!  I just purchased the 2nd book, The Infinite Sea and should receive it by next week.  So excited to read it.  The 3rd book will be out this May!!!

This story is about an alien invasion but not like the green creature with big black eyes.  It's more along the lines of Ender's Game Xenocide alien.  I really enjoyed this story.  I liked the characters and their development.  I like the world building. This author took bits and pieces from other sci-fi stories to create his and he doesn't really try to hide it either, such as:

The Stand by Stephen King
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

The love story is very simple and yet complex.  Cassie loves a boy from her high school whom doesn't know her at all.  She later falls for the human-alien guy Evan Walker.  I like Evan myself...LOL.  Anywho, the romance/love story, whatever you want to call it, is pretty funny, cute and stuff.  I love the humor throughout the book.  One of my favorite funniest part was when Cassie was trying to escape with the guy she had the hots for in high school...his name is Ben Parish, and she says:

"I know the way but I don't know the way to the way."

Ben gives her a funny look and says something like, "The way to the way?"

Then a bit after that he says, "I know the way and the way to the way."

Hahahahaha! Yeah.  Just silly little things like that crack me up.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:08:03 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

zena

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
Finished, Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Maas.

It was okay.  It's about an assassin who was captured and made into a slave whom was rescued by the the prince and his captain of the guard.  They took her to win the champion fighting for the prince's father.  Turns out the prince and the captain of the guard both fall in love with her.  She falls for the prince first but then has a thing for the captain.

This book was kind of enjoyable.  The writing was good so that's what really kept me reading.  The storyline was a bit silly, cliche, and just unbelievable.  By unbelievable I mean that the main character, Celaena, couldn't see that the captain liked her.  It was very obvious.  Same with the prince.  Every night he came to her room to listen to her read and she never put two and two together.  I get annoyed by characters like that.  Just get the liking over with and move on to what's important.  But, I totally get it 'cause author said she wrote the story when she was in high school and college so you can see the change.  The ending was good.  I enjoyed the fight scenes and how much the captain tried to keep her going.  You can totally see that he cares deeply for her. 

There is a second and third book in the series or trilogy but I'm not going to read them.  I enjoyed it but there were things that didn't make any sense.  For instance, she's an assassin but she does not come across like an assassin at all.  There is no where in the book that talks about what her duties are/were as an assassin.  Her characteristic s do not have any assassin-ness to it.  She was portrayed more like a princess in despair.  Locked up until the competition.  She did practice her fighting with the captain but anyone can train with the captain.  I would assume an assassin already knows how to sword fight and fight with other weapons as well.  I would also assume an assassin is much better at fighting then a captain of the guard.  So, I was disappointed by this.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:09:36 PM by moonangel »

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
I remember reading Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising saga.

Definitely a good read.

zena

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »
I remember reading Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising saga.

Definitely a good read.

Looks like this is something I could read to my daughter.  Only 196 pages.  I'll keep this in mind.  Thanks.

zena

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »
Finished, The Infinite Sea, by Rick Yancey.

Another awesome read.  Parts of the writing is super duper like The Road.  No quotations around the speakers.  Very different.  I like it though.  It's as if the character is thinking those thoughts...rem embering conversations.

The book is mostly about Ringer aka Marika.  I feel so bad for her.  I don't really connect with her character because she didn't have a lot of feelings but I liked how she was captured and then inserted with a device to download alien energy so she could control them.  It gave her what felt like super powers...heali ng her quickly from her injuries, giving her night sight, extremely good hearing, etc.  Colonel Vosch seems so evil but I wonder...just wonder. 

In this book we learn that it has nothing to do with humans.  It's really just an alien thing.  I get it now but I want to know why.

Can't wait for the 3rd book!  Comes out in May!  I might just have to buy the hard copy.  The first two I have soft copies.  There's no way I could wait a full year for the soft copy.

zena

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
I also finished, "Dead In The Water," by Suzann Nelson.

Daughter and I read it together at bedtime.  It was slow at first but had a good and very sad ending.

zena

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:08:47 AM »
There was a book on my Kindle I downloaded that at first didn't sound too good but for some reason I tried to re-read it and it's actually not so bad.  I'm going to keep reading and see how it goes.  Sometimes books do that.  I may not be so into it one moment and the next, it's not so bad.  I can't seem to think of the title at the moment...it's something with the word wolf in it.  It's an indie book.  Author sells it on Amazon but offered it for free for just a day.  From my experience, most books I dl for free aren't that great but again, I'm always hoping for that gem no matter where it hides.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »
Welcome to my 2016 book review.  Not sure where this post will go since I am considering blogging about my book reviews, but while I am here, I hope I will keep you company with my reads.

Hopefully you'll keep posting reviews of books you've read.  I may not always respond but I enjoy hearing your thoughts and make notes of 'future reads' on them.   O0

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
Thanks trouble!  I'm glad to know that you read my reviews.  At times I feel like I'm doing duplicate typing.  Suddenly there is this mass increase of bloggers who are reviewing books everywhere so I've just been debating whether I should join them or not.  I haven't decided quite yet but have slowly started reviewing more on my blog just to see.  I will continue to post here and just feel for how things go.

zena

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
Finished, Never Home, by Laird Hunt.

The book is about a wife who leaves behind her husband to be a soldier for the union during the Civil War.  She gets captured and jailed by the confederates but she outsmarts them and escapes.  Then she gets betrayed and thrown into an asylum by the union where she's tortured.  So much happens to her that she doesn't know whom to trust anymore.  Amazing touching story.  I cried so much.  I'm even teary-eyed writing this.  I didn't know women fought in the war so I have so much respect for them.  The Civil War was a vicious war.  So many died for the freedom of slaves.  Too many.  My heart just aches for them all.  Based on additional research, over 620,000 died with the most deaths and the biggest battle at Antietam.  It's so heart wrenching.  So many young boys (not even men yet!) died.  And these brave women who dressed up as boys/men and went under fake names so that they don't reveal they were women to fight to free the slaves is beyond incredible.

There should have been another way to free the slaves.  Not all those innocent lives.

btw, the story is fiction but based on facts.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:19:35 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: +1

zena

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:21:45 AM »
Finished, Blood Memory, by Perrin Briar. 

I was asked to read this book and review.  I haven't reviewed on goodreads yet but will when I actually have the time to do a thorough review.  In short, this is a series story about zombies.  It wasn't so bad, just that there wasn't a lot of depth to the characters so it was hard to understand their actions.  The story moved really fast too and the book was too short.

zena

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 11:27:37 AM »
Finished, Drop-Dead Gorgeous (Rotten Apple #3), by Elizabeth Lenhard

Read with my daughter at bedtime.  It's a zombie story from a non-zombie girl's pov.

Why am I reading so many zombie stories?  I'm not a zombie person.  I don't mind it though.  I'm currently on another book I'm reading with daughter about a zombie dog.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
Are you excited about Rowling's news about the new book(s)?

zena

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
Are you excited about Rowling's news about the new book(s)?

I saw that but I'm just not so into Harry Potter for some reason.  I've tried to like it but it's just not happening.  Not sure what it is.  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it.  I just don't find the story very interesting. 

I also didn't like the Hobbit very much.  It was boring.

Advertisements