Advertisement

Author Topic: Moonangel's Book Review 2016  (Read 23407 times)

zena

Re: Moonangel's Book Review 2016
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »
Sorry if I sound drunk.  I'm not.  Just tired.  Need food.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
Hehehe.  No, you didn't sound drunk.  I understood what you were saying.  Some friends saw the movie and they gave it good reviews but they've never read the book.  I was just curious about your thoughts.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »
I C.  I liked the book (and I know I'll like it even after watching the movie) because the book explains why Kyle did what he did.  I don't think that's explained in the movie.  My brother saw the movie and said that if he was a sniper, he'd shoot everyone of them, including the kids because they were all bad.  But, I told him that the sniper couldn't just shoot them all because every enemy that he shot, he had to write a full report as to his reason for shooting them.  If his reasons are just because they were the enemy, he'd be dishonorably discharged like there's no tomorrow. So after I told my bro that, he was like !@#$.  I told him it's not that easy.  There was one incident where Kyle did shoot a boy going for a bomb or putting a bomb down or something and the only reason he got out of getting discharged for that was his partner said he saw the same thing.  The snipers always go with a partner for that specific reason, to make sure that two eyes are seeing the same thing, to protect them.  I should be getting the dvd soon.

zena

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
Books I finished reading recently:

The War of the Moonstone (War of the Moonstone #1) by Jack Conner.  This book was okay.  It's a fantasy that moved pretty quickly.  Lots of fighting, gore, erotica, etc.  The world building was limited and the character development wasn't so great.  The characters were a bit childish to be doing what they were doing.  Everyone didn't seem to be very intelligent.

The Last Star by Rick Yancey.  This was the 3rd book of The 5th Wave trilogy.  It's an apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, aliens invade earth story.  Loved it.  So much emotions. Nearly had me in tears.  I really liked Evan Walker...he's just so amazing.  He reminds me of Superman and you know how much I love Superman.  :D  My only downside is that I wish the author explained more about the alien ship and more about the alien thinking and doings.  I was fascinated by that and wanted more.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 10:42:26 AM »
I C.  I liked the book (and I know I'll like it even after watching the movie) because the book explains why Kyle did what he did.  I don't think that's explained in the movie.  My brother saw the movie and said that if he was a sniper, he'd shoot everyone of them, including the kids because they were all bad.  But, I told him that the sniper couldn't just shoot them all because every enemy that he shot, he had to write a full report as to his reason for shooting them.  If his reasons are just because they were the enemy, he'd be dishonorably discharged like there's no tomorrow. So after I told my bro that, he was like !@#$.  I told him it's not that easy.  There was one incident where Kyle did shoot a boy going for a bomb or putting a bomb down or something and the only reason he got out of getting discharged for that was his partner said he saw the same thing.  The snipers always go with a partner for that specific reason, to make sure that two eyes are seeing the same thing, to protect them.  I should be getting the dvd soon.

Funny. You're brother sounds trigger-happy.  I'd probably feel the same way. :D  If/when you see the movie, let me know your thoughts.  :)

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

zena

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »
I remember now why I didn't see the movie.  It was because the DVD was faulty.  Should be getting another DVD in a couple of weeks.

zena

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 05:30:46 PM »
Books update:

Haven't found any good books lately and just remembered I had purchased a couple of Hmong author books but keep forgetting to read them.  I think right now, I'm just searching for some good Sci-Fi and Fantasy books and there's just not too many really good ones.  I've tried to read a few freebies from Kindle but they just aren't doing it for me.  :-\

zena

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
Books I tried but won't be reading further:

Warrior's Song by Catherine Coulter.  Didn't like the female character.  She's too perfect.  A fighter, a knight, can kill for food all on her own, doesn't need a man, won't marry.  Her father wants her to get married to the prince who happens to be perfect in every way as well.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  If you've read The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, The Host is about a similar alien race.  I tried to read it and kept at it in hopes that it would get more interesting but about 15% in, I gave up.  I don't feel or agree or connect with the protagonist in any way.  Was thinking about reading Twilight by the same author but people say that The Host is better than Twilight.  Well, if that's true and I can't stand The Host then I'm not going to even try Twilight.  As for comparison between The Host and The 5th Wave, I recommend reading The 5th Wave.  Much better voice, much better storyline (more complete and explained pretty straight forward), and lots of action.

Second Chance by Ong Xiong.  Couldn't pass the first chapter.  It was too silly.  How is it that a girl waiting for her ride and a guy picking up a girl at the airport not realize that it's each other they are looking for?  I was really trying to like this but it kills me to keep trying because it's torture.  I'm glad that this is a Hmong author and I'm really happy to know that Hmong peeps are writing and promoting/selling, but it's just not a book for me.

Flowers for Elizabeth by H.H. Vangh.  At first I thought this was going to be a fantasy story 'cause of the author's name.  Usually initialed first name and middle in an author's name means the story is a fantasy genre but I didn't get the sense that this one was.  Either that or I didn't read far enough to get to the fantasy part.  The reason why I didn't read far enough...only got a few pages in, was because there were too many adjectives.  Plus, the story was told and not shown.  Stories that are being told are usually considered not well written.  Not that it means it's not a good story.  I'm sure it is but I think I just read at a much deeper level.  I wanted to like this one too but unfortunately that didn't happen.

I think after having read GOT's series and having fallen in love with the author's voice and style and all, I've set the bar pretty high for future reads.  I try not to but it's really difficult.  I know I am a hard reviewer and super picky and I know I'm not that great of a writer myself but when it comes to reading just for fun, because I know that, I have preferences.  When I read, I'm looking for good voices.  Unique voices.  The storyline doesn't matter much, it just has to make sense.  If I can find another way around a situation, then the story wasn't thought out well enough, and that's where most books fail me.

zena

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
Finished:

Earth Alone by Daniel Arenson (sci-fi, YA) - Takes place post apocalyptic, alien invasion.  Teens enlist into military and the rest of the story is all on the bootcamp.  I didn't like it.  The story went nowhere.

Pouraka by Dianne Lynn Gardner (fantasy, YA) - About mermaids who were being attacked, killed, and/or captured.  Didn't like it either.  No character development, no strong story line.

Both of the above books do a lot of telling the reader what's going on and a lot of times, the author won't tell the reader so the reader gets confused.  If you enjoy this kind of story, read these.  I'm more of a show person. 

Have been re-reading GOT book 3 and The Lightbringer book 3 just to have something fun and enjoyable in there when the bad books just won't do it.  I'm reminded why I love GOT's so much.  Author writes amazing characters and shows details instead of just tell the reader what's going on.  Instead of feeling like I'm watching from afar, I feel as though I am right there in the story.  These two authors are truly gifted.

zena

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Finished, Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden.  This was my second time reading it. First time I read it was over a decade ago.  It was and still is a great book.  Loved every bit of it.

zena

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »
Finished, The Girl with All the Gifts," by M.R. Carey.  Great story and well written.  It's about zombies but it's from a totally unexpected angle.  Had me at the edge of my seat.  There is a movie coming out but I'm not so sure I can watch the actual thing.  Reading is one thing but seeing it visually...mig ht be too much for these eyes.  We'll see.

zena

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 08:10:24 PM »
Finally saw the movie, American Sniper.  It was good, but it wasn't very close to the book at all.  Lots of details were missing.  But, it was still a good action movie.

Like this post: +1

zena

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Finished, All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doerr.  This is a historical fiction that takes place during WWII about two characters who cross paths for a very short moment: a German Nazi soldier boy who is gifted at fixing radios/receiving and sending radio signals and a blind French girl in occupied France. 

This was a well written, heart wrenching story.  Not only were the main characters real and love-able/hate-able, the supporting characters had very clear personalities that touched me too, especially the boy named Frederick.  He had me crying so much for him.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2016, 07:56:09 PM »
Finished, Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden.  This was my second time reading it. First time I read it was over a decade ago.  It was and still is a great book.  Loved every bit of it.

I've seen the movie but haven't read the book.  The movie was ok.  I wonder if I would have a different view if I read the book.....

zena

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:31 PM »
I've seen the movie but haven't read the book.  The movie was ok.  I wonder if I would have a different view if I read the book.....

I didn't like the movie at all.  Love the book to death.  :)

Advertisements