Advertisement

Author Topic: SAT replacing ACT  (Read 8748 times)

zena

SAT replacing ACT
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
In Colorado, after this year (2016), they will only be administering the SAT college entrance exam for both in state and out of state.

What about in your state?  I read that some colleges eliminated both SAT and ACT and are going based on high school GPA.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: SAT replacing ACT
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
Lets see...
Junior college, I think all you need is a diploma or GED and then take the ELM and ELE (?), I don't remember the other one.  But it's the entry level math and english course that is required to be taken in order to be determined where you are placed for english and math.

I think the UC system required both SAT and ACT or SAT1 and SAT2.
But the CSU system only needed SAT. along with the math and english test.

Please don't switch to high school GPA only.  Do not lower the standards of getting in.  Classes are already impacted.  Lowering the standard only increases the number of students applying, and it may increase the number of students getting accepted.  Sure it's great for the school.  More money.  But it doesn't bode well for the students.  Less classes.  More loans.  Higher costs for everything.

Keep the requirements where they are or increase them.  Not trying to sound like some **** elitist, but college isn't for everything.  Especially not the universities.  We should be held to high expectations and we should work our butt off to get there.  If you want to be there, you have to show that you want to be there.  And that means meeting the requirements.  Sounds rediculous, but it's not.  If you want to be a somebody in the world.  You're going to have to work hard to become that person.

It would mean, dumbing down our educational education to allow anyone in pretty much.  Different high schools teach at different levels so this would mean (all other things equal) if student A took regular classes and got a 4.0 in all classes and student B took advanced placement classes but got a 3.0, would the 4.0 student get into college and not the 3.0?  But, if they took the SAT, the 3.0 student would beat out the 4.0 student any day.

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:44:04 AM »
Some of the stuff you said doesn't make sense. 

1.  The number of applicants doesn't increase the number of accepted students.  It might make it harder to get in, but if you're good enough to get in, then you're good enough to get in.  A school is going to accept X number of students regardless of the number of applicants. 

2.  Not using the SAT does not equate to lowering standards.  Maybe it is a good thing.  It forces the school to evaluate students beyond standardized tests.  We don't hire people based solely on the resume.  We ask for interviews and more.  Sometimes the person with the less impressive resume is actually the better option. 

3.  An increase of applicants does not equate to an increase of cost of living.  If anything, it lowers it.  $50-100 per application, and the school pockets that money regardless if the student is accepted or not.  Does it cost $50-100 to process the application?  Maybe?  But it just seems like a profit. 

4.  More students does not really mean less classes.  With more revenue, there should be enough classes.  If there aren't enough classes, then that means the college is scamming you.  A school shouldn't be taking on students if it can't open classes for those students. 

5.  I hate to say it, but you kinda sound like an elitist.  Personally, I think everyone who wants a higher education should at least get a chance. 

6.  If anything, I don't blame these people for the mismanagement of the school.  If a school doesn't have enough classes/housing/food/etc for the students, then that is the school's fault.  That is like paying for a buffet, and there isn't enough food.  It's not the people's fault for eating too much.  It's the restaurant's fault.  If the restaurant couldn't feed all those people, then they shouldn't have taken their money. 

Lets see...
Junior college, I think all you need is a diploma or GED and then take the ELM and ELE (?), I don't remember the other one.  But it's the entry level math and english course that is required to be taken in order to be determined where you are placed for english and math.

I think the UC system required both SAT and ACT or SAT1 and SAT2.
But the CSU system only needed SAT. along with the math and english test.

Please don't switch to high school GPA only.  Do not lower the standards of getting in.  Classes are already impacted.  Lowering the standard only increases the number of students applying, and it may increase the number of students getting accepted.  Sure it's great for the school.  More money.  But it doesn't bode well for the students.  Less classes.  More loans.  Higher costs for everything.

Keep the requirements where they are or increase them.  Not trying to sound like some **** elitist, but college isn't for everything.  Especially not the universities.  We should be held to high expectations and we should work our butt off to get there.  If you want to be there, you have to show that you want to be there.  And that means meeting the requirements.  Sounds rediculous, but it's not.  If you want to be a somebody in the world.  You're going to have to work hard to become that person.

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
Again, you're acting like dropping the SAT requirement is somehow "lessening the requirement and standard."  If anything, it makes the competition harder.  And thus, increasing the requirement and standard.  A student can't just ace the SAT anymore and expect to be accepted. 

And some of the other stuff you said.....it still doesn't make any sense. 

If they want higher education. good for them.  I'm all for it.  Everyone should get a chance at it.  No one should be denied the right to attempt to get an education.
There are places that will accept you and not have a big requirement like some if not junior colleges. Who knows, you may even get a better education from a junior college.
- They should do their best to hold all of us to the same requirements. Does that always happen? probably not.  Most likely, some are let in easier than others. 

But if you want to go  into universities and whatnot.  They have requirements, they have expectations. If you want to go there, you meet their requirements.  If not, well then, off you go.  Not everyone is willing to do that. as said before, college isn't for everyone.

You don't need school to be "a somebody" or be successful in life.  Hell you may be better off without dealing with student loans.  But if you want that degree. You're going to have to earn it one way or another.  And chances are, you're going to have to earn your way in.

It's kind of like a job.  Some jobs are entry level-like and so they will accept you as is.  You may still have to provide resume, go to interview and such, but that's it.  If you want some job that's maybe higher up, you'll most likely have to prove to them why they should take you and that can include anything from an education to years of experience. 

Life doesn't come easy for most of us.
- And I'm not saying it as someone who had an easy way in.  I had to earn my way in, both as an undergrad and a graduate. So I know the struggle, I know the pain, I know the pressure.  I can easily empathize with those who are dealing with it.  It's rough.  But bottom line, if you want it, well you're going to have to sit through the bumpy ride one way or another.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
It would mean, dumbing down our educational education to allow anyone in pretty much.  Different high schools teach at different levels so this would mean (all other things equal) if student A took regular classes and got a 4.0 in all classes and student B took advanced placement classes but got a 3.0, would the 4.0 student get into college and not the 3.0?  But, if they took the SAT, the 3.0 student would beat out the 4.0 student any day.

If you have to look at the school/college admission requirement.  As far as I know in CA........ admission requirement is different for resident, non-resident and international student.  Non-resident and international student need to have higher GPA and score vs. resident.  Example....... ...CA CSU system........ . someone with a 3.0 up GPA SAT/ACT is not required but most student take it as a process in applying for college.  CSU system A-G courses is easier but you just need to take the number of yrs they required.  At least 3 yrs of Math but highest has to be Alegbra 2.  It just that when they pick or select the student they are choosing those with higher academic level, higher GPA and looking at their high school transcript or among the top 5-10% applicants.  CSU system I don't worry about it as my kids are grant admission to one of the campus as long as they meet the admission requirement.  My husband and I took a 9 week courses and after it they give you a certification of completion.  At the same time older campus are more well known and popular and student always want to go there vs. smaller campus.

With the UC system........ ACT and SAT are going to be based on your GPA.  UC system always selected among their top 5% applicant for the well known popular campus like UCLA and UC Berkeley.  If these student don't accept then their spot go to other.  A lot of these student in high school took Honor or AP classes.  They have to push themselves hard to take 4 yrs of Math, Science, etc.  The better your transcript the better chance you have but then among thousand of other applicants is hard. AP high school student have 2 GPA.....regula r and AP scale.  My daughter has a overall 3.6 GPA regular and 3.9 on AP scale.  Regular student or not don't judge them they can performance academically the same.  AP courses may seem harder but once you pass the class you need to passed the AP exam in order to get college credit for it.  A test cost about $100.  My daughter is actually taking 2 AP exam this March/April.  Small private college (just not Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc.) or Christian type usually are better at giving scholarship which draw some student that way.  The average GPA at UCLA and UC Berkeley for incoming Freshmen is 4.17.  Our local UC Merced just open not long but average GPA is 3.7 and because it is a smaller campus and new those student have a better chance at getting in.  UC Merced estimated about 200+ Hmong student from what a Hmong girl told us that major in Biochemistry.  I rather have my daughter go there to save $$ but she don't want to live at home and want to go away.  My daughter has taken all her classes already that meet college admission for UC but she's a Junior so she still has to take Science and Math next year to make it look better on her HS transcript.  Fall semester she got all A except one B which give her a 3.9 on regular scale and 4.15 on AP. 

College is a challenge where they either make it or not so all that hard work in HS may not be work it.  We have a distant cousin and his daughter is valedictorian and she want to do pharmacy.  She got accepted to one of the very few Pharmacy school that we have in CA.  After her 1st year she wasn't performing well so drop out and came back and tried to go to other pharmacy school but they told her the same that if she can't even perform well at the other school what make her think she would do better here.  She just end up living at home and attending the local CSU. 

It up to you as a parent to see where you child stand when it come to education.  Don't pressure them to do something they don't want too but just advised in good way or give them the pros/head up about it.  Get a better understanding of what your state admission requirement is like for resident, non-resident and international student.  Balanced out everything from GPA, test score, etc.  Don't let your child end up taking classes that are not worth it or don't help with making their application stronger.  Many thing come into play and you'll never know why one student you think is better or less is getting into college that make you question. 

zena

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »
My 8th grader will be starting high school next year.  Did I just say that?  Someone pinch me.

Went to parent night at the high school and learned a lot about why they test and why they have such high standards and requirements.  This is a regular high school and they are rigorous.  I don't remember anything like this when I was in high school dinosaurs ago.

This is a very large school.  Incoming fall students is guesstimated at 2,900. They have:

3 Assistant principals
1 Assistant principal to the Principal
4 Academic Deans

When I was in high school, we only had 1 Principal, 1 Vice Principal, and 1 dean.  That was it.

Anyway, they have 3 rigorous programs:

1. Concurrent - get college class credits.  No testing required for the college credits.  Just have to get accepted into a college and program that will take the credits.  Of course have to do well in the class in order for it to transfer as college credits.  Highest GPA=4.0
2. AP (Advance Placement) - Testing required by the state and national.  Highest GPA=5.0
3. IB (International Baccalaureate) - Testing required by the state, national, and international.  Highest GPA=5.0

They require PSAT in 10th grade and SAT in 11th grade and be accepted to a college/university by fall of their 12th grade.

Almost wish my high school was this rigorous. 

During the principal's talk, she said, "Welcome class of 2020.  Can you believe I'm saying the class of 2020?"  And here I was, wiping away tears, trying hard not to think 2020. :'(

zena

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
...and then when we left the school and drove up to the stoplight on our way home, we saw a coyote.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:39:12 PM »
My 8th grader will be starting high school next year.  Did I just say that?  Someone pinch me.

Went to parent night at the high school and learned a lot about why they test and why they have such high standards and requirements.  This is a regular high school and they are rigorous.  I don't remember anything like this when I was in high school dinosaurs ago.

This is a very large school.  Incoming fall students is guesstimated at 2,900. They have:

3 Assistant principals
1 Assistant principal to the Principal
4 Academic Deans

When I was in high school, we only had 1 Principal, 1 Vice Principal, and 1 dean.  That was it.

Anyway, they have 3 rigorous programs:

1. Concurrent - get college class credits.  No testing required for the college credits.  Just have to get accepted into a college and program that will take the credits.  Of course have to do well in the class in order for it to transfer as college credits.  Highest GPA=4.0
2. AP (Advance Placement) - Testing required by the state and national.  Highest GPA=5.0
3. IB (International Baccalaureate) - Testing required by the state, national, and international.  Highest GPA=5.0

They require PSAT in 10th grade and SAT in 11th grade and be accepted to a college/university by fall of their 12th grade.

Almost wish my high school was this rigorous. 

During the principal's talk, she said, "Welcome class of 2020.  Can you believe I'm saying the class of 2020?"  And here I was, wiping away tears, trying hard not to think 2020. :'(

My daughter high school just open or in their 3rd year.  Kinda suck because classes you want was not available or haven't established yet but slowly get there.  Other high school offer more.  PSAT is required in 10th grade and SAT Junior year.  AP courses is a 5 for A while regular is 4.  AP courses are very limited.   Most student likely take it in their Junior year.  If your school doesn't offer it you can take it at another high school or even city college.  In CA you have to pass AP class with a 3 which is a C grade and passed the AP exam to get college credit whike sme state d t required AP exam and they get college credit.  Which is why I mention every state has their own standard.  Driver Ed one semester and health one semester was required when I was in high school.  Now for my daughter if you want driver Ed you have to take it 0 period or before school start.  Most student are paying $25 for online classes if they are so in rush to start driving and get their permit then license. 

I don't know about school in CO.  They basically do everything on their chromebook.  You might think your child is not studying or not doing their hw when you look but they will tell you blah blah.  Trust me they will know all their progress in each class weekly, monthly and their final grade as teacher post it online.  Make you feel like everything is communicated through online nowadays.  If they are not performing well atleast they would have time to get help or tutoring from teacher in the morning.  Their final grade if they don't tell you you would wait for the report card in the mail.  You would wished your child is still learning and doing everything tradition ally like how we did back in our days.  I told my daughter if school keep being this way sooner or later there will be no school and if you want a education then it is fully accrediated through online.  My kids in elementary have chromebook in the classroom but can't take them home.  They do their spelling test on their chromebook that I have to remind my son in 3rd and my daughter in 2/3rd combo to double check each word they type. 

School here we have principal for smaller less population under 500.  If more than 1 principal and 1 vice principal.  Elementary dont have dean but a school psychologist.  Academic dean are just counselor in high school and one will be assigned for A-F and another G-M, etc.   My daughter AP English teacher is also in charge of Dutch American Club which has been in their 5/6th year hosting student from Netherlands.  We are hosting a student this year and she's going to Netherlands too.  She will be here Feb 20th and then my daughter will go during spring break.  Her teacher is also Chair of English department at UC Merced.  They probably have less than 1500 student breaking about 300-350 in each grade level.  That nothing compare to where I came from  about 4-5k making it about 1k student in each grade level.  We have 5 high school and the one I attend is the smallest.   

zena

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 01:52:47 AM »
New schools always have limited courses but that's understandable .  Once there are enough students I'm sure they'll add more courses.

That's correct, they use a scale for AP and IB.  AP's scale is 1-5 and 3 is passing.  IB's scale is 1-7 and 4 is passing.  But, colleges will likely take those that are higher on the scale.

That's interesting about the driving courses.  We don't have that in any high schools in CO. 

We use Chrome books too.  They've been using Chrome books since elementary school but only in school.  They cannot bring them home...althoug h some schools do allow that nowadays.  My husband and I get a grade report emailed to us daily for our 8th grader.  We know exactly where she stands.  I also get text messages from a couple of her teachers on homework and projects stuff.  Grades come home in a sealed envelope given to the student but e-mailed notification to us that we should be expecting grades.  Same process with standardized test scores.  It doesn't matter if someday they go electronic completely.  I will still print a copy.

I would prefer less students, smaller faculty group, and smaller school over the school my daughter will be going to.  Their school is seriously gargantuan.  They just added a fourth or fifth wing last year in preparation for the incoming school this coming fall.  The thing is that they also buss lower income neighborhoods into our area.  It is mostly caucasian in this area because it's an upper middle class neighborhood and I guess they want the lower class to have opportunities too.  It doesn't matter to me either way.  I just hope that it does help them because when I grew up and was poor, I didn't fit at all with the middle and upper class of my school, and it made it hard to do well.

There are only 2 high schools that are close to each other out here and they are about 15 minutes or more apart driving (there's no way you can walk there from our house...it'd take about an hour or two). That other high school is pretty big too.

That's great your daughter is in the Dutch club.  Both my daughters are half Dutch.  We don't have a Dutch club unfortunately but we do have a Muslim club, a Black club, and Gay/Straight club.  And so many others: French club, Spanish club, dance club, chess club, strategy club, speech/debate club, fashion club, acting/drama club, etc.  I can't name them all but there's gotta be like 30 of them.

What year is your daughter in hs?

My daughter came home today from school and told husband and I that she wants to get into the IB program.  I was shocked.  She did score high enough on her middle school standardized test to get into the program so that's good.  They will be retesting in a couple of months and I believe they will use the new scores to place them in high school.  Students who don't take the test will be placed at the regular level and work their way up. 

We don't force our kids to do anything they don't want to do.  But, we do guide them toward math and science, which they both happen to be very good in.

On a side note, I can't say for what the future holds.  I just hope my kids do the best they can. I also hope that they enjoy life and live to their fullest and happiest.  We try to give them a good life so that they don't have to worry about the necessities and just focus on their careers and happiness. It is not about being better than anyone else because I have no idea what anyone else's goals are.  I just know that my goal as a mother is to protect them and teach them to be good citizens and to work for what they want (I actually said, "work hard, play hard.").  Other than that, they need to do what they need to do to get to where they want to be.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »
New schools always have limited courses but that's understandable .  Once there are enough students I'm sure they'll add more courses.

That's correct, they use a scale for AP and IB.  AP's scale is 1-5 and 3 is passing.  IB's scale is 1-7 and 4 is passing.  But, colleges will likely take those that are higher on the scale.

That's interesting about the driving courses.  We don't have that in any high schools in CO. 

We use Chrome books too.  They've been using Chrome books since elementary school but only in school.  They cannot bring them home...althoug h some schools do allow that nowadays.  My husband and I get a grade report emailed to us daily for our 8th grader.  We know exactly where she stands.  I also get text messages from a couple of her teachers on homework and projects stuff.  Grades come home in a sealed envelope given to the student but e-mailed notification to us that we should be expecting grades.  Same process with standardized test scores.  It doesn't matter if someday they go electronic completely.  I will still print a copy.

I would prefer less students, smaller faculty group, and smaller school over the school my daughter will be going to.  Their school is seriously gargantuan.  They just added a fourth or fifth wing last year in preparation for the incoming school this coming fall.  The thing is that they also buss lower income neighborhoods into our area.  It is mostly caucasian in this area because it's an upper middle class neighborhood and I guess they want the lower class to have opportunities too.  It doesn't matter to me either way.  I just hope that it does help them because when I grew up and was poor, I didn't fit at all with the middle and upper class of my school, and it made it hard to do well.

There are only 2 high schools that are close to each other out here and they are about 15 minutes or more apart driving (there's no way you can walk there from our house...it'd take about an hour or two). That other high school is pretty big too.

That's great your daughter is in the Dutch club.  Both my daughters are half Dutch.  We don't have a Dutch club unfortunately but we do have a Muslim club, a Black club, and Gay/Straight club.  And so many others: French club, Spanish club, dance club, chess club, strategy club, speech/debate club, fashion club, acting/drama club, etc.  I can't name them all but there's gotta be like 30 of them.

What year is your daughter in hs?

My daughter came home today from school and told husband and I that she wants to get into the IB program.  I was shocked.  She did score high enough on her middle school standardized test to get into the program so that's good.  They will be retesting in a couple of months and I believe they will use the new scores to place them in high school.  Students who don't take the test will be placed at the regular level and work their way up. 

We don't force our kids to do anything they don't want to do.  But, we do guide them toward math and science, which they both happen to be very good in.

On a side note, I can't say for what the future holds.  I just hope my kids do the best they can. I also hope that they enjoy life and live to their fullest and happiest.  We try to give them a good life so that they don't have to worry about the necessities and just focus on their careers and happiness. It is not about being better than anyone else because I have no idea what anyone else's goals are.  I just know that my goal as a mother is to protect them and teach them to be good citizens and to work for what they want (I actually said, "work hard, play hard.").  Other than that, they need to do what they need to do to get to where they want to be.

The Dutch club is only for AP English student.  About 10 student this year is hosting.  We're excited and got all the information we need and their scheduled.  Unfortunately there is not enough time to do anything.  Today will be one of our meeting that involved parents. 

The bus thing.  My kids old elmentary which was their home school in the south side was not bad just under 500 student.  They got bus transporation.  Bus transporation is like grant to them.  They bus student from north to south side school and north to south side school.  That was the answer someone gave to my husband while we keep waiting to see if our kids could get a spot at the school closer to home.  south side has a lot of Hmong and Mexican student because the school near my husband workplace is also the same school I have a old friend and my daughter bf mother teached there. 

My daughter is a Junior this year.  The school open and served only freshmen and sophomore and then add Junior the following year and then Senior this year.  Class are very limited and teacher too.  There is 2-3 teacher in my neighborhood. 

AP is more common and IB is relatively a small program but I heard CO where you are have it.  The Dutch student from Netherlands are IB in English while my daughter they are just AP English. 

If your girl want or feel confident and want to try something then let them do it.  That how I am with my daughter.  I dont want to push them to do something only to make it harder on them later. 

Chromebook are very affordable so I rather buy then used the one school provided.  You have to buy insurance for it if you want and at the end of the school year give it back to them unless you are already signed up for summer school.  My daughter took summer school last summer for US History so she doesn't have to take it this year because it is required for Junior. 

Is your daughter going to join sport?  This year my daughter quit cheer and swimming.  Cheer is too $$ and she always get hurt before competition.  Other school their cheer is not spending as much $$ as them because they don't enter competition, etc.  the more your team do the more it just $$$. 

zena

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
That's great your family is hosting an exchange student. 

I can't believe she is already a junior.  I remember it was only a few years back that she was in grade school.  Time flies.

AP and IB are both big at my daughter's soon-to-be-high school because it's such a big school.  They need all the programs, clubs, and sports they can get because they need to be able to support all those students with activities and such.  The more students, the more variety of goals, so lots of programs and choices to keep everyone happy.

Daughter was going to join Poms but now she's having second thoughts.  She doesn't want to join Cheer because they require back hand springs and back flips in order to get in.  They are a competition team.  Poms is also competition but no flips.  Daughter has been taking dance for 6 years now (3 of them competition dance) and she was going to quit and take Poms but for some reason she doesn't want to quit dance anymore.  There is something about dance competition and being on stage (especially as a soloist) that draws her.  Me personally, I want her to do cheer but I can't make her do what I want her to.  She only does what she wants so I don't know.  It's up to her I guess.  Dance is very very very very expensive.  Pointe shoes cost $200 and they only last somewhere around 48 to 72 hours.  We've gone through like 10 pairs already.  Performance costume are expensive.  Her solo dress was just over $90 and that doesn't include the shoes (her twyla's run about $25 but they last a little longer).  Competition costs too.  And all that on top of dance tuition which runs about $5K a year.  Then if they compete nationally, it's another $5k.  She is an amazing dancer though.  Got her own role as the Chesire cat in Alice in Wonderland and has a solo as well this spring.

Pom would be so much cheaper.  Like 90% cheaper.  As for other sports, I wanted her to join the swim team because she is a fast swimmer but she doesn't want to.  She's thinking about track but doesn't seem so sure.  I don't want her to do track.  If she stays in dance, she won't be doing any school sports because it will be a lot of money and the sports as school will clash with dance.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »
That's great your family is hosting an exchange student. 

I can't believe she is already a junior.  I remember it was only a few years back that she was in grade school.  Time flies.

AP and IB are both big at my daughter's soon-to-be-high school because it's such a big school.  They need all the programs, clubs, and sports they can get because they need to be able to support all those students with activities and such.  The more students, the more variety of goals, so lots of programs and choices to keep everyone happy.

Daughter was going to join Poms but now she's having second thoughts.  She doesn't want to join Cheer because they require back hand springs and back flips in order to get in.  They are a competition team.  Poms is also competition but no flips.  Daughter has been taking dance for 6 years now (3 of them competition dance) and she was going to quit and take Poms but for some reason she doesn't want to quit dance anymore.  There is something about dance competition and being on stage (especially as a soloist) that draws her.  Me personally, I want her to do cheer but I can't make her do what I want her to.  She only does what she wants so I don't know.  It's up to her I guess.  Dance is very very very very expensive.  Pointe shoes cost $200 and they only last somewhere around 48 to 72 hours.  We've gone through like 10 pairs already.  Performance costume are expensive.  Her solo dress was just over $90 and that doesn't include the shoes (her twyla's run about $25 but they last a little longer).  Competition costs too.  And all that on top of dance tuition which runs about $5K a year.  Then if they compete nationally, it's another $5k.  She is an amazing dancer though.  Got her own role as the Chesire cat in Alice in Wonderland and has a solo as well this spring.

Pom would be so much cheaper.  Like 90% cheaper.  As for other sports, I wanted her to join the swim team because she is a fast swimmer but she doesn't want to.  She's thinking about track but doesn't seem so sure.  I don't want her to do track.  If she stays in dance, she won't be doing any school sports because it will be a lot of money and the sports as school will clash with dance.

Our girls are growing up pretty big already through all these years of just knowing online here in PH.  Are your girls still sharing bedroom or have adjusted to being in their own room?  This year is going by fast and school is almost out and right now I'm pretty much getting my daughter prepared for act and sat exam along with her AP exam too.  Need to go buy some books this weekend.

My daughter school doesn't have dance class like we had back in high school days.  They are still very limited on certain sports but as always basketball and football is a must. 

Cheer your daughter need to go try out and see what happen.  My daughter never had any gymnastics experience or anything.  2 yr of her being in cheer I got bored and it was just $$ here and there all the time.  If not enough money to cover something then everyone picked up the tab.  First year they order new outfit cost $350-400.  Didnt even get to keep it at all and return after cheer is over.  Warm op up clothes during practice was just 3 tshirt and 3 cotton shirt and cost about $100.  Then the warm up jacket and pant that look like windbreaker with their name was like $150 but you keep it.  Every competition is like $300-350.  Half is split to location/university that held the event and the other half is your portion.  If you cancel or can't go you get that half back and not the full amount.  My daughter did stunt/flyer and was mvp during jv year.  2nd yr varsity team.  Too many ankle fracture and sprain is not good so I told her no more cheer.  Swimming is fun and the competition is not too big.  They usually picked someone for that particular swim and if no one then the coach select.  Her school pool is outdoor and hot.  She's only in swim otherwise she has to go join regular PE class once cheer is over when basketball is done.  Their cheer team post videos in YouTube along with a few competition. 

We're excited to be host family this year but time is very limited and not much we can do together as spending time.  We'll see if everyone is going because last week my 8 yo has a broken ankle fracture.  We only have Sunday to spend together and the rest is just at home because of school.  When my daughter go over there she will have 3 free day to spend with the family and they're taking her to Amesterdam.  It will included one day in Paris when they land.  Paris was off because of the bombing a while back but now everyone decide to go so it will cost additional $600.  This trip keep adding and adding that it will probably be like 3k.  It would have save $$ buying with the plane ticket in the 1st place.  When she go we still have to give her $$ for spending.  My daughter is not good with money.  I would find a good deal for $20 while it will be $40-50 for her. 

zena

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:40:40 PM »
Our girls are growing up pretty big already through all these years of just knowing online here in PH.  Are your girls still sharing bedroom or have adjusted to being in their own room?  This year is going by fast and school is almost out and right now I'm pretty much getting my daughter prepared for act and sat exam along with her AP exam too.  Need to go buy some books this weekend.

My daughter school doesn't have dance class like we had back in high school days.  They are still very limited on certain sports but as always basketball and football is a must. 

Cheer your daughter need to go try out and see what happen.  My daughter never had any gymnastics experience or anything.  2 yr of her being in cheer I got bored and it was just $$ here and there all the time.  If not enough money to cover something then everyone picked up the tab.  First year they order new outfit cost $350-400.  Didnt even get to keep it at all and return after cheer is over.  Warm op up clothes during practice was just 3 tshirt and 3 cotton shirt and cost about $100.  Then the warm up jacket and pant that look like windbreaker with their name was like $150 but you keep it.  Every competition is like $300-350.  Half is split to location/university that held the event and the other half is your portion.  If you cancel or can't go you get that half back and not the full amount.  My daughter did stunt/flyer and was mvp during jv year.  2nd yr varsity team.  Too many ankle fracture and sprain is not good so I told her no more cheer.  Swimming is fun and the competition is not too big.  They usually picked someone for that particular swim and if no one then the coach select.  Her school pool is outdoor and hot.  She's only in swim otherwise she has to go join regular PE class once cheer is over when basketball is done.  Their cheer team post videos in YouTube along with a few competition. 

We're excited to be host family this year but time is very limited and not much we can do together as spending time.  We'll see if everyone is going because last week my 8 yo has a broken ankle fracture.  We only have Sunday to spend together and the rest is just at home because of school.  When my daughter go over there she will have 3 free day to spend with the family and they're taking her to Amesterdam.  It will included one day in Paris when they land.  Paris was off because of the bombing a while back but now everyone decide to go so it will cost additional $600.  This trip keep adding and adding that it will probably be like 3k.  It would have save $$ buying with the plane ticket in the 1st place.  When she go we still have to give her $$ for spending.  My daughter is not good with money.  I would find a good deal for $20 while it will be $40-50 for her.

Yes they are growing too fast.  Daughter is growing a butt and thanks to dance it's making it bigger...I just don't know what to do about that.  My girls are sleeping in separate rooms now.  Good job on helping your daughter with her exams and good luck to her.  I know she will do amazing.

As for cheer, daughter does not want to do it so it's out of the picture.  She can't be fracturing any bones otherwise she won't be able to dance so that just confirms why she also doesn't want to cheer.  She has a dance friend who did just that, not in cheer but just at home.  She broke her ankle and is out for the dance season.  My daughter is replacing her.  Daughter was not doing group dance competition this year but because of this, she is now doing one group dance on top of her solo.  She loves it and I wish I could share a video (she already had her first competition) but I've had dance mom's get upset at me for sharing dance videos.  Cheer sounds pretty expensive but dance is more expensive.  Like I said, I'd love it if daughter would quit dance and do cheer but her heart is in dance.  She enjoys letting her emotions out through dance and she's very good with it.  She doesn't care to use her voice so much.  It's great your daughter got to do cheer though.  Sounds like she enjoyed it.

That is such a great experience for your daughter to do the exchange thing.  Amsterdam looks gorgeous.  Everything is so expensive, isn't it?  Daughter is going to Washington DC and New York through her school in late March for a week and it's costing us $2K.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
Yes they are growing too fast.  Daughter is growing a butt and thanks to dance it's making it bigger...I just don't know what to do about that.  My girls are sleeping in separate rooms now.  Good job on helping your daughter with her exams and good luck to her.  I know she will do amazing.

As for cheer, daughter does not want to do it so it's out of the picture.  She can't be fracturing any bones otherwise she won't be able to dance so that just confirms why she also doesn't want to cheer.  She has a dance friend who did just that, not in cheer but just at home.  She broke her ankle and is out for the dance season.  My daughter is replacing her.  Daughter was not doing group dance competition this year but because of this, she is now doing one group dance on top of her solo.  She loves it and I wish I could share a video (she already had her first competition) but I've had dance mom's get upset at me for sharing dance videos.  Cheer sounds pretty expensive but dance is more expensive.  Like I said, I'd love it if daughter would quit dance and do cheer but her heart is in dance.  She enjoys letting her emotions out through dance and she's very good with it.  She doesn't care to use her voice so much.  It's great your daughter got to do cheer though.  Sounds like she enjoyed it.

That is such a great experience for your daughter to do the exchange thing.  Amsterdam looks gorgeous.  Everything is so expensive, isn't it?  Daughter is going to Washington DC and New York through her school in late March for a week and it's costing us $2K.

There is a event for my daughter to attend in Washington DC in late March but forgot what it was called but have to selected to go there.  She's leaving for Netherlands that same week so can't do it.  Netherlands look nice but I think we have it better here when it come to snacks, fast foods, etc. 

Something about sport there is sad and happy moment.  Sad moment are when you know your child is already in the spotlight but 2-4 days before the event happen they get injury and can't do it anymore.  Someone has to replaced them and then you don't feel the support to go there anymore.  I've been thorough that with my daughter so I can see why other parents will get emotions or a little hurt seeing the video posted.  Even though I told my daughter no more cheer but when we attend home game for football and basketball and seeing those cheer girls doing their things again it like I don't even want to look at all.  Another thing if you're the one they depend on it like all attention is on you to do it perfect/good.

We picked up our exchange student over the weekend in SF at the airport.  So far everything is looking good but time is just short and hardly enough to do anything.  Tonight or when they come home from school will be the only free time we get so we plan to go bowling and then make it back home and then head out to have dinner at a sushi place with a few of our Meskas friends/families.   She leave on Friday but were taking her back to SF and have dinner before dropping her off to the youth hostel hotel and they are spending Sat in SF then head home on Sunday. 

Advertisements