Advertisement

Author Topic: The Things You Do  (Read 3412 times)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
The Things You Do
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist,
Students undergoing depression? that exists.
People experiencing suicidal thoughts? that exists.
People experiencing addictive behavior? that exists.

You go around touting words.  Insulting people.
Saying that "He is an addict, she is suicidal, he is depressed, and she is stupid."
Are they that way, or are they experiencing that feeling?

You go around throwing your insults.  Never realizing just how damaging your words are.
You go around giving advice telling people to "tough it up" "get over it"  and everyone's favorite.
"You'll be fine."
Have you ever taken a step back to think for a second how it feels to be that person?
Have you ever taken a step back to think for a second how the person might be?
You utter that hurtful and selfish line "I know what it's like."

NO YOU DO NOT.  Stop saying that.  I hate that Phrase. You don't know what it's like.
You are not me.  You don't live in my world.  You don't walk in my shoes.  Don't say you know, when you never cared to learn about me.

You look and you tell me that I am wrong because I don't look a certain way.  I don't think a certain way.
I'm not doings a certain way.  You join others in saying I don't belong.

You say I'm selfish.  You say I'm closed off.  You say I'm unwilling to share. You don't see how your actions are affecting me.  You don't see the pain I go through each day.  It's like walking on a beam knowing I can fall over at any minute.
You tell me I'm wrong.

But I'll tell you that I'm not.
If you took the time to know me, to listen, you would know my story.  You would understand how I feel.

You are too focused on The Things You Do.

Like this post: +1
Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Adverstisement

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Things You Do
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Working on writing a speech I may be giving in May (not yet decided) about "My Story" at a social work event.
But I think I may give it a different approach.

The event may be titled "Raise your glass" about saluting the underdog story.  and the "My story" isn't exactly referencing My story, but my as a plural. :)

Like this post: 0

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Let us know how My/Your Story goes.  Sounds like it could/may be interesting.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »
Let us know how My/Your Story goes.  Sounds like it could/may be interesting.

Sure thing. It's all up to the social work org's officers if they choose to go this route. 

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »
Would you like to do it....making a speech?   ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
Would you like to do it....making a speech?   ;D

Yes and No..

For this particular one? Yes.  Because I helped create the theme. So I know it quite well and I can throw in all my emotions and passion when giving the speech.

For the most part I would say Yes because I enjoy empowering others, I enjoy giving speeches and talking to others.
Speeches are great.  I still get nervous with public speaking at times.  But I enjoy talking, especially more open floor speeches.  I love being able to show my passion and love for the subject (especially with bullying, racism, and such).  I find it empowering, encouraging, therapeutic, and really relaxing for everyone including myself when I give these open floor social work like speeches.  Empowers me to do it more, and helps me get over my own internalized oppression.  Empowers others because they empathize with me, they know the feeling,  and it helps everyone understand the lives we live.

But no I don't like to make speeches. I don't like to sound like I prepared my speeches before I gave them.  The only thing I ever prepare is the topic.
Everything I say I like to let it flow naturally that way I can put in alot of emotion and be able to express my passion for the subject.
Preparing, kind of removes the passion because it allows me to reflect, edit, and think.. It doesn't sound natural.

You know how they say "say it from the heart" that kind of is what I prefer.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:26:46 PM by anonymouse »

zena

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
Aren't we all?

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
Not doing the speech.  Not sure, the theme wasn't approved or it was too late for them to accomodate to it.  So they are just going themeless.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
That's too bad.  So what does the theme have to do with your speech?  If it was themeless, you could talk about basically anything.....

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »
That's too bad.  So what does the theme have to do with your speech?  If it was themeless, you could talk about basically anything.....

I wasn't asked to give a speech.  There won't be student speakers aside from the president of the social work club.
From what the poster said, it's in honor of the graduating MSW and BSW from the class of 2016" 
I think they upset people and got into trouble because the sponsor of the past events isn't even on the poster which is really weird because it always said "Presented by NASW."
But this one doesn't list the NASW. - they paid for everything, good, the room, equipment.

I'm not sure what happened.  I just know I wasn't contacted for further help with the event.

But you're right.  Themeless can go anywhere.  It being social work can be anything too.  but a speech wasn't wanted or so. I don't know.  Maybe next year.

Advertisements