Advertisement

Author Topic: What are these called?  (Read 11192 times)

zena

Re: What are these called?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:17 PM »
Okay...so I went to the store earlier today and took some photos of the greens at the store of the greens in my first photo.  They have a name to it now.  I will post photos soon.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:52 AM »
The crispy things are just chips.
LOL!  Yep. 

As for kale, I've tried two kinds.  One is frilly on the edges and the other one is kinda flat and has a touch of purple.  There are other varieties but those are the only two I've tried.  I don't like the frilly one because the stalk is still too hard even after cooking.  I heard it's great baked into crispy things.  The flat purplish one is tasty. I like that one.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 08:18:49 AM »
I wonder what they are.
It's not those.  They had those too.  I love those.

I know nothing about those zaubs.  I can't even imagine what they look like.  I don't shop at Hmong markets because I am about an hour away from the closest one (taking the highway)...and there are only like two of them (maybe just one now) in our state.  The closes Asian market is a Korean market about half an hour away.  The next closest is a Thai market about 40 mins away.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
It won't taste right the second time, either. Famous only for its healthful qualities, not its taste.

I know nothing about green too.  At the Asian store I just get the one that seem to be more for stir fry.  I'm boiling fresh chicken or pork then there is only one kind for it. 

Next time I'm going to try kale again because it didn't taste right for me the 1st time.  I guess it is more American green and perfect for just plain stir fry.

"...

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
It won't taste right the second time, either. Famous only for its healthful qualities, not its taste.

Maybe better to just add it with other fruits and greens to make smootie.  I keep telling myself to get one of those ninja so I can blend juice but then the cost of it along with buying fresh fruits is just going to add up $$$. 

zena

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
Here are the photies:

They didn't have a huge selection this time. They usually will have two to three varieties of kale and bok choy and baby bok choy but not when I took the photos.  The last photo is the one that I photoed initially in this topic, the tag reads, "Turnip Greens.".  I'm not sure that it's the correct name since you can see that the second to last photos' tag says, "corn."

Anyway, this is what I had for lunch today: leftover baked salmon with boiled "turnip" greens.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
Gai lan is just Chinese broccoli.

I'm not sure they are labeled green turnips. Maybe they are lost, too. You can see that the ones labeled collard greens are not collard greens and that the red chards are green in color and don't conform to the label.

Many companies don't know what they are doing. Lol

Here are the photies:

They didn't have a huge selection this time. They usually will have two to three varieties of kale and bok choy and baby bok choy but not when I took the photos.  The last photo is the one that I photoed initially in this topic, the tag reads, "Turnip Greens.".  I'm not sure that it's the correct name since you can see that the second to last photos' tag says, "corn."

Anyway, this is what I had for lunch today: leftover baked salmon with boiled "turnip" greens.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:53:23 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
Yes. I  blend it with other things for smoothies.

Maybe better to just add it with other fruits and greens to make smootie.  I keep telling myself to get one of those ninja so I can blend juice but then the cost of it along with buying fresh fruits is just going to add up $$$.

"...

zena

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »
R, true.  That's why I posted the photo in here to see if anyone would know the real name but it seems no one knows.  Kinda funny.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:00 AM »
Ask the Chinese and maybe French and Italians.

R, true.  That's why I posted the photo in here to see if anyone would know the real name but it seems no one knows.  Kinda funny.

"...

zena

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
I didn't buy these when I was at the Korean Market but I will next time.  They look so fresh and delicious!

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
Those are great for making kimbap rolls!

zena

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 01:58:08 AM »
Those are great for making kimbap rolls!

I've never had kimbap.  Maybe one of these days I'll get together with my Korean sister-in-law and we can make some.

Advertisements