Advertisement

Author Topic: Car problem question???  (Read 2140 times)

baddabing

Car problem question???
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »
My 09 Toyota check engine light is on, the car is starting choke a few times like it's going to die.

Never done a tune up on it yet. It's at 93k miles

Anybody have a clue ?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
Re: Car problem question???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:52 PM »
Take it to autozone for them to scan the issue... It's free and you know what's wrong (for the most part).
More then likely an o2 sensor went out or dirty map sensor.

Like this post: +1
'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »
Spark plugs

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

baddabing

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:53:52 PM »
Take it to autozone for them to scan the issue... It's free and you know what's wrong (for the most part).
More then likely an o2 sensor went out or dirty map sensor.

Wow AutoZone does it for free?

Hitokiri

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »
Wow AutoZone does it for free?

Yes. Actually many car parts stores do diagnostics for free. 

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:59:09 PM »
misfire?

baddabing

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:23:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help, but I think the problem was just a loose gas cap. I did some searching on the net about why check engine light might be on and it's stated one of the reason is a loose gas pump cap. Sure enough, I checked my gas cap it was loose and didn't have the click sound anymore when I tr y to close it. It's not tight, the gas vapor caused the check engine light to go on.

My car isn't due for a tune up yet until it hits 120k miles.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help, but I think the problem was just a loose gas cap. I did some searching on the net about why check engine light might be on and it's stated one of the reason is a loose gas pump cap. Sure enough, I checked my gas cap it was loose and didn't have the click sound anymore when I tr y to close it. It's not tight, the gas vapor caused the check engine light to go on.

My car isn't due for a tune up yet until it hits 120k miles.

I was gonna say, Google is your friend. Cool, it's solved as no repairs can beat a cheap and quick fix...

Sleipnir

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
If it's a toyota, just put some electrical tape over the light...  fixed.

My 07 honda accord did the same thing once too when I didn't close it tight enough...  but on the odometer, it would spell out "CHECK GAS CAP"

I don't have a "new" new car, but with all the electronics in them, do they self diagnose and display on the screen so you don't have to take it in to see what the light is all about?

Sifu

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
There have been some serious consideration towards Check Engine Lights (CELs) and how they should be reinterpreted in today's cars.  Automobiles are like computers and it is pretty stupid for that computer to give you a CEL without telling you what the problem is. 

CEL comes on, you need a scanner or the stealership to diagnose the issue.  The paperclip worked great for older cars but today where everything has a touch screen, etc I just thing its pretty annoying that you still can't readily pull codes.

baddabing

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
UPdate:

It was my Gas cap...and then it was also one of my ignition coil too, had it changed today.  Thank god, it wasn't hard to do and i was able to do it myself.

Advertisements