Advertisement

Author Topic: Driver Suspected Of DUI, Manslaughter In Olivehurst Flooding Death  (Read 4349 times)

wizzards581

OLIVEHURST (CBS13) — Authorities have arrested the man suspected of driving past a road closure and into a flooded area, resulting in the death of his passenger.

California Highway Patrol says 55-year-old Neng Yang of Sacramento was arrested for felony DUI and gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated.

On Saturday around 7:15 p.m., CHP says Yang was travelling northbound on Highway 70 south of McGowan Parkway in Yuba County. CHP and Caltrans had setup a road closure on Highway 70, diverting traffic onto the McGowan Parkway exit due to flooding in the area, and Yang drove around the closure and into the flood waters.

The vehicle became submerged in 6-8 feet of flood waters. Yang was able to exit the Toyota, but the 51-year-old unidentified female passenger was unable to escape and sustained fatal injuries.

Yang has been booked into the Yuba County jail and CHP says the investigation is ongoing.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/03/06/driver-charged-with-dui-manslaughter-in-olivehurst-flooding-death/

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Suspected Of DUI, Manslaughter In Olivehurst Flooding Death
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »
Good and he deserves it...

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
  • GhostRider: 5'11", 185 lbs, Straight
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
Highway 70 is the only direct highway from Sacramento to Marysville/Yuba. How could a major highway be flooded?  Why is there enough room for him to go thru/around if the "highway" is under 6-8 ft of water? Sorry for the lost...

I'm Ghost Rider! Come Ride With Me..!

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:32 AM »
It's dark during that time. I'll bet there wasn't enough flashing lights or advance noticed.  The deceased family should sue the county/CalTran

Sifu

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Horrible outcome but it doesn't matter if there were not enough lights.  You play with fire and you get burned.  It probably didn't help that he was intoxicated, drove during adverse conditions, did not heed traffic warnings, decided to ford the flood, left his passenger to their demise. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Horrible outcome but it doesn't matter if there were not enough lights.  You play with fire and you get burned.  It probably didn't help that he was intoxicated, drove during adverse conditions, did not heed traffic warnings, decided to ford the flood, left his passenger to their demise.

Agree, some will take ownership of their bad judgment, others will try to wiggle out of their personal responsibities and errors but in this case, this Hmong dude is in the wrong from the start (if true). Poor woman...

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
I'm sure he's feeling really bad for being behind the wheel that evening which caused her life and will no doubt own and pay the consequences.  But no one deserve to die even a drunk (if proven he was drunk). All the other parties need to be held accountable for knowing that the highway was under 6-8 ft of water and did a half-ass job of closing and redirecting traffic.  This just prove they failed at doing their job. Oh yeah, not to mention the tax money I paid them to do their job...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:21:09 AM by GhostRider »

Sifu

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
Would you sue your state for a tornado, hurricane, flash flood, blizzard, earthquake?  I mean there are so many factors working against this guy to stop driving and he still kept going. 

princessnerd

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 11:54:40 PM »
I drove through an hour before this happened. There were flares, signs, workers and a long line of cars detouring. This guy did not pay attention or thought he was above the law.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 05:49:34 AM »
I drove through an hour before this happened. There were flares, signs, workers and a long line of cars detouring. This guy did not pay attention or thought he was above the law.

Perhaps he was just too drunk or couldn't understand the signs. DMV tests are offered in other languages such as Hmong so he may not understand that rare sign and add driving while impaired on top of that too..but who really knows...Hopefu lly there will be more details ...

Offline GhostRider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
My question is how is it possible that a major highway can get flooded and secondly how is it that he got thru knowing the highway is under water? I'm not there and don't know exactly what happened but hopefully this will result in some changes.  Looks like he went thru after rush hours and there might no longer be flares or CHP on duty.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:23 PM »
Question is, why let a drunk man behind the wheels? I really hate these ridiculous bad news of people dying under the influence of alcohol or preventable circumstances. What a tragic loss for the family. Now the he has to deal with the charges and the death of his wife...

Advertisements