Advertisement

Author Topic: What inspires you to write?  (Read 6323 times)

zena

What inspires you to write?
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »
I was supposed to write today but I haven't yet.  I'm planning to make it up and write later but I'm not sure it will be possible.  I tell myself, 'tonight, before bed, write a litte.'  I said that yesterday and the day before and the day before that and every day before that and I haven't typed a thing!

They say there's only 24 hours in a day and you should decide wisely how you want to spend it.  Focus on what's important in your life...yada, yada.  I am a believer of that but for some reason I just can't find enough time to write.  By the time I can write, the time is already gone for the day.

What about you?  How often do you write and how do you carve out time for it?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

TheDeviousOne

Re: What inspires you to write?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »
Hi.. I don't writing but I maybe give you some idea for writing.  You say focus on what important, is writing not important?
Juan - If you making it important then you should set a time for it.  Maybe 30 mins to hour.  If you havening kids or husband, you tell them you are writing, then lock you self in a room where you can writing.  I sure they can doing without you for that small amounts of time.  You donts havening to spend hours to writing.  Short amount of time you can accomplish many. 

Tou - Finish what you start to write.  You can writing many things but if you donut finishing it, it not good. 

Tree - Carry a note pad. A small mini note pads.  Ideas don't only comes when you sitting down to writing.  They can come anytimes; when you dropping kids in the pool, driving on the freeway, or just trying to ignore a chinese coworkers conversation with you.  That what the notepads for.. writing down you ideas otherwise you gonna forgetting later.

Floor - write of perish.. so just do it.

zena

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
Who is Tou and what does a tree and the floor have anything to do with this topic?  :)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Everything under the Sun.

Emotions. Purpose. Women. Money. Fame.

I've always been captivated by the thought of being a travel writer. Then Eli Roth started making horror movies and I lost interest rather quickly.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
What inspires me to write... Hm depends on what I'm writing I guess.

A deadline usually does the trick. No writing means no payment. But these are few and far in between, so it's a rare occurrence.

Sometimes if I'm emotional then the inspiration is to get rid of excess feelings by writing.

Sometimes it's fear. Fear of never getting published and being unsuccessful, and seeing the pity in people's eyes.

but fear is quickly followed by disgust, depression, and uncertainty. Disgust that I should allow myself to feel ashamed for not living up to other people's standards. Depression that others my age are so successful yet I am not. Uncertainty that maybe I am not talented enough.

Then fear again, because that white page can be so daunting.

Wonderment. Do people really care to read what I have to say? Am I writing anything original? Aren't these themes used over and over again? Do I have anything to say that I mean without being cynical or bitter?

Then finally, detachment. Let me write something anyway. If it's not good then that's okay. If it's good, even better. I refuse to let these pages stay blank.

Freelance? Or are you living the Dream?

zena

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »
What inspires me to write... Hm depends on what I'm writing I guess.

A deadline usually does the trick. No writing means no payment. But these are few and far in between, so it's a rare occurrence.

Sometimes if I'm emotional then the inspiration is to get rid of excess feelings by writing.

Sometimes it's fear. Fear of never getting published and being unsuccessful, and seeing the pity in people's eyes.

but fear is quickly followed by disgust, depression, and uncertainty. Disgust that I should allow myself to feel ashamed for not living up to other people's standards. Depression that others my age are so successful yet I am not. Uncertainty that maybe I am not talented enough.

Then fear again, because that white page can be so daunting.

Wonderment. Do people really care to read what I have to say? Am I writing anything original? Aren't these themes used over and over again? Do I have anything to say that I mean without being cynical or bitter?

Then finally, detachment. Let me write something anyway. If it's not good then that's okay. If it's good, even better. I refuse to let these pages stay blank.

Deadlines put on so much stress but for the most part, they do work.  I tried Nanowrimo this past November to try to hit the 50K word challenge but I barely got 10K words in.   Just didn't have the time.  Maybe I will this coming November (fingers crossed) but hoping that my current novel will be done and I can start on one of the other 6 I have going.

You definitely hit the nail on how it feels to write.  The fear, anxiety, uncertain-ies, negative thoughts, positives thoughts, etc., all swirl around at different moments of the writer's mind.  I think it takes a lot of courage to actually get a book done.  The more I think about it, the more I am humbled by the all the authors and writers out there.

zena

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
Everything under the Sun.

Emotions. Purpose. Women. Money. Fame.

I've always been captivated by the thought of being a travel writer. Then Eli Roth started making horror movies and I lost interest rather quickly.

Sounds like it comes easily to you.  I guess you can always just write about a traveler or traveler's and never have to truly fear the fears.

zena

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
So, I am actually writing today.  Very happy (not proud, just happy) that I've reached just over 15K words!  This is 5K more words in since November.  It's just a little bit but I always hear a little bit helps.

Just an overview, I am focusing on one novel and hope to have it be about 100K to 110K words.  I do have other stories but this one is the one I have the most detail for and a full storyline for.  This is also the one my husband likes best.  There are two other stories that I wanted to write novels for but they are just coming to me in bits and pieces now.

Writers block.  I have this a lot.  It's as if my characters refuse to tell me what they are dealing with.  Either that or they want to tell me but I just don't have the time for them.

Offline yubnag

• Elite Poster
  • Redamancy
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
I write when I am emotional. This is all that really drives me to write.

Making a hundred friends is not a miracle. The miracle is to make a single friend who will stand by your side even when hundreds are against you.

zena

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
They say creativity comes after a spout of depression.  I find that true in myself.  I'm not often depressed but there are spurts in there where I just feel really down and sad and then suddenly I have all this creativity.  This cycle repeats itself.

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 08:22:57 PM »
Music gives me inspiration and reading the lyrics.  Writing takes up a lot of time.  Sometimes it just flows out my fingertips and sometimes it takes days.  Finding the right thought to express can be challenging aka writer's block.  I have so many ideas that they're all knotted together.  All my writings never feels complete.  Finding time to write is difficult since I have other hobbies and responsibiliti es. 

Different 💩 same smell

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 12:37:15 AM »
I just started writing again and I noticed that I've completely lost the ability to express myself in a poetic way. All the stuff that made me a great writer 20 years ago is gone. Oh well, right now I just want to get the ideas down on paper first. All that other stuff can be edited later.

Advertisements