Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong marriage questions  (Read 5294 times)

nchan

Hmong marriage questions
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:46:30 AM »
question 1: Let's say, the guy's wife die, can he marry the wife's sister? Does Hmong culture forbid this?

Question 2: Can a guy marry his sister in law's sister? 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Hmong marriage questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:52:11 AM »
If two hmong person with the last name can do it. Do you think the it's forbidden or impossible?  :2funny:

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:37:25 PM »
question 1: Let's say, the guy's wife die, can he marry the wife's sister? Does Hmong culture forbid this?

No, Hmong culture does not forbid it. Actually, if the husband is rich and good to the wife, the family would recommend him to marry their younger daughter or even a relatives of their.

I've heard of two brothers marry two sisters before and I don't think that's taboo either. The majority of the situation is when a older brother die and the younger brother married his sister-in-law. This happens in other cultures too, not just Hmong.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

If two hmong person with the last name can do it. Do you think the it's forbidden or impossible?  :2funny:

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »

No, Hmong culture does not forbid it. Actually, if the husband is rich and good to the wife, the family would recommend him to marry their younger daughter or even a relatives of their.

I've heard of two brothers marry two sisters before and I don't think that's taboo either. The majority of the situation is when a older brother die and the younger brother married his sister-in-law. This happens in other cultures too, not just Hmong.

One of former GVP's high-power guys married a chick when she was still young. After having about 21 children, she died. The guy then begged for the hands of her younger, teenage sister. Because of his status, her family let the marriage go through. The new wife has not complained.

It was done right in St. Paul, MN just not too long ago.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:34:52 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
Issue #2 is touchy. Elders say if two siblings marry two other siblings, it's taboo. But then many have done it before and there's nothing wrong with it.

"...

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:09:27 PM »
One of former GVP's high-power guys married a chick when she was still young. After having about 21 children, she died. The guy then begged fo the hands of her younger, teenage sister. Because of his status, her family let the marriage go through. The new wife has not complained.

It was done right in St. Paul, MN just not too long ago.

Yes, I've seen it when the wife passed away and her family loved the kids so much that they allow their younger daughter to marry him so the kids will stay with the family and be loved.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »
True. That's a common reason.

Hmong women loves kids, too, so that works out just fine. One's siblings' kids are just like one's own anyway. Nothing wrong with caring for them.

Yes, I've seen it when the wife passed away and her family loved the kids so much that they allow their younger daughter to marry him so the kids will stay with the family and be loved.

"...

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
Personally I have not seen or heard of any Hmong family encouraging their younger daughter or any daughter to marry their son-in-law once his wife has passed away... First time I'm hearing it from you guys. Not sure how reliable that is. But I will somewhat take your words for it as it's possible. However, I'm thinking it's not a cultural thing, but rather it's that the two had eyes for one another sort of thing.

I have seen, and know of, a younger cousin marrying another cousin's (who died) wife. None of the brothers wanted to marry their sister-in-law, so the choice was given over to the cousins and one agreed and wanted to... I've heard of the latter, and I believe it's sort of standard that Hmong do this... but not the daughter/sister marrying the brother-in-law.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:45:15 AM by YeejKoob13 »

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
Personally I have not seen or heard of any Hmong family encouraging their younger daughter or any daughter to marry their son-in-law once his wife has passed away... First time I'm hearing it from you guys. Not sure how reliable that is. But I will somewhat take your words for it as it's possible. However, I'm thinking it's not a cultural thing, but rather it's that the two had eyes for one another sort of thing.

I have seen, and know of, a younger cousin marrying another cousin's (who died) wife. None of the brothers wanted to marry their sister-in-law, so the choice was given over to the cousins and one agreed and wanted to... I've heard of the latter, and I believe it's sort of standard that Hmong do this... but not the daughter/sister marrying the brother-in-law.

Had a cousin of mine that treated his in-laws really well and when his wife die, they ask him to marry their younger daughter. He kindly refused because she was too young ( 15 years younger than him). And he says that she was like a sister to him too.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:05 AM »
I have seen this first hand, where the guy's wife dies and the wife's family offers the sister to the son-n -law, because the in-laws don't want to lose the son-n-law. I know, ridiculous... Hmong logic is playing its role.

Outcome is, the son-n-law refused and married a total stranger non-related to either side, but true to the in-laws's fear of losing their son-n-law, he does not visit nor have much contact with them any longer.

yuknowthat

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Tau vauv zoo, leej twg los yeej khuv xim hos.  8)  :2funny:

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 08:14:47 AM »
Tau vauv zoo, leej twg los yeej khuv xim hos.  8)  :2funny:

Cov vauv zoo ces lawv yeej khuv xim maj :P dabsi kawg tus ntxhais tuag lawm ne :'(

yuknowthat

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
the one that got away. Tus vauv zoo.  ;D

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:07 AM »

I know a friend who had an uncle that married his (the uncle) wife's younger sister after they divorce because his wife ran off to married some Mexican dude. Unfortunately for him, that younger wife didn't last long either as three years later she too also ran off to marry someone else. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Advertisements