Advertisement

Author Topic: My Man Cave  (Read 5320 times)

TheNewGuy

My Man Cave
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
Well... it took me two years but finally had it built! Why two years?  I debated if I really needed one... I still don't need it but had extra money laying around so I decided it might be a good idea just to have one just incase I ever need it when I retire LOL.

I still have a lot of work and equipment to buy.

In-progress:
-  run power 120 and 240
-  install indoor and outdoor lights
-  buy tire changer
-  buy tire balancer
-  buy two post car lift
-  buy compressor
-  buy large tool boxes
-  buy everything else  :D

20ft wide by 36ft long by 12ft high with a 10ft by 10ft door.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline darkhelmet

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: My Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
You got some Mexicans building it for you?   O0

I made you read this.

winerice

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
damn....where do u live at? i want to come over and hang out.....

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »
Yeah those hydraulic lifts arent really that expensive,  when I do get settled down, I'm building a garage kinda like yours and putting a lift in there too.

I could tinker on cars all day.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
Wow, that's awesome  O0

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

Envy2

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
Yeah those hydraulic lifts arent really that expensive,  when I do get settled down, I'm building a garage kinda like yours and putting a lift in there too.

I could tinker on cars all day.

Your right, Lift aren't that expensive. Around 2-5K depending. Another 1k or so for install. The question is how often do you need it on the lift? If your opening a business or is a one man racing them then yes. Otherwise no, much cheaper to just use jack. I've consider it and this is a better option: http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ranger-bl-5000slx-5000lb-quickjack-p/rangerbl-5000slx.htm. A lift is like a GTR. Cool to own, great conversational piece but it just get park hard. While it is every man dream to have a car mechanic garage if you look at usabilty and ROI then IMO a entertainment/gaming setup is better.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:29:19 AM by Envy2 »

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
Having a lift is cool if you are into fixing cars. However, like owning a truck, you will have lots of peeps asking you to use it.  >:(

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Envy2

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Having a lift is cool if you are into fixing cars. However, like owning a truck, you will have lots of peeps asking you to use it.  >:(

yes that too. You put a lot of work then people just come in and use it without pitching in initially.

TheNewGuy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
I won't be using the lift as much but I do have projects where the car just sits there for weeks. It's always easier to work on cars while they're on a lift. Do I need it? Maybe not as often but it'll be readily available when I do need it.

Sifu

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »
I'm in the market for expanding my garage, maybe keep the foundation but redo the exterior.  May I ask who you went with for materials and build?  We have always wanted to do a garage.

As for a lift I'd never get one.  A novel idea but SOL if you want to move.  I'll probably get a quick jack or other portable unit.  I'm not going to be under a car for very long and yeah I can imagine how 'suddenly' popular I get with a lift.

TheNewGuy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
I'm in the market for expanding my garage, maybe keep the foundation but redo the exterior.  May I ask who you went with for materials and build?  We have always wanted to do a garage.

As for a lift I'd never get one.  A novel idea but SOL if you want to move.  I'll probably get a quick jack or other portable unit.  I'm not going to be under a car for very long and yeah I can imagine how 'suddenly' popular I get with a lift.

I went with www.carport.com.  Depending on what you want to do, you might be able to find someone local to you that can fix your exterior for you instead of doing everything.  It cost me about $10k for everything minus the concert work.  Everything is SOL when I move... the garage and lift.  It's not worth my time to take everything apart and move it unless I'm getting a bigger house with some land. 

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:03:40 AM »
Hopefully you're not in a tornado area because that thing looks like it'll fly away faster than an entire trailer park.  O0

Sifu

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
I can do my own exterior but I'd really like to extended my current garage.  That either means building off of it or tearing down the older one and building and laying the new extended one.  What's keeping me back is the possibility of us moving again.  I have .65 acres, plenty of space and if we move it will have to be out in the boonies where neighborhoods don't mind giant garages. 

Our old house would have cost over $40k to build off of and the area is super strict about zoning and hobby vehicles; even if the garage was large enough.  It sucks because I really want a 7 car storage but most 'nicer' neighborhoods don't allow it.  The only way is to purchase a super $$$ house and lot from a previous gear head and go from there but those rarely come up in my neck of the woods.

Hitokiri

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
Nice! O0

Advertisements