Advertisement

Author Topic: Is the educational system really rigged against blacks and latinos?  (Read 7090 times)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-04-12/poll-many-black-parents-think-schools-dont-try-to-teach-their-kids

How about taking the responsibiliti es for your kids' education by being an active participants in their school, education, life, etc.
The school is not rigged against blacks, latinos, asian, etc.
All my cousins and relatives went to these same school and yet they were able to go on to college. I grew up with Hmong people that went to majority blacks school and majority of these Hmong people are all college grads. The only ones that aren't are in gangs...

Actually, I think blacks, Latinos, Asian student have special treatment because they get to go to special classes that allows teachers more time to teach them.

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Is the educational system really rigged against blacks and latinos?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
I'm placing fault squarely on parents. Too many parents doesn't discipline their kids or put them in a habit where they would participate in academic activities at home. Most parents just thinks that it's the schools responsibility to educate their kids and it's no theirs. Besides that, they may never attend teacher student conferences to assess their child's performance. Either they're just stuck at work or have no time and these folks usually made up of poor people. Whom doesn't have a good education themselves and with low paying wages and benefits. Such constraints can have a impact on how much involvement they have with their childrens' education.

Special ed, only if you're ELL otherwise there's no such thing. And by the way, with the education funding cuts and school limitations by district rules implementation students will be limited to a few select schools, won't be able to attend outside of the district all in the effort to save money. Schools in the midwest here will be no different than schools in Cali. if you're behind, you're lost to society... That's just how the education down in Cali. 

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 06:54:12 AM »
No but quality of education in the ghetto will be inferior to education in a rich neighborhood.  So, if you are unable to go to a rich neighbor school and stay in the ghetto, the odds are against you.  Also, the ghetto environment is makes it difficult to focus on school.  I had friends who grew up in the ghetto and their experience are shocking bad compare to mine.  I went to a small city high school.  I also had friends who work with school in the ghetto.  The environment is just bad that teachers no longer care about teaching.  Other students are so bad that it makes it hard for good students to do well.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
Parent's attitudes have alot to do with it.  Some parents just don't care about their children so they don't do their part to help the kids succeed.  Parents should learn to control their kids and be an authority figure to help the kid understand discipline and to be respectful.

On the other hand schools can't expect parents to be teachers.  Children should learn schoolwork at school, not at home.  Don't be giving kids a bunch of homework and expect parents to work with them on finishing it.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
No but quality of education in the ghetto will be inferior to education in a rich neighborhood.  So, if you are unable to go to a rich neighbor school and stay in the ghetto, the odds are against you.  Also, the ghetto environment is makes it difficult to focus on school.  I had friends who grew up in the ghetto and their experience are shocking bad compare to mine.  I went to a small city high school.  I also had friends who work with school in the ghetto.  The environment is just bad that teachers no longer care about teaching.  Other students are so bad that it makes it hard for good students to do well.

Yes, I agree with you but somehow... these people seem to think that their school is rigged against them. I know a few Hmong friends of mine that went to a ghetto school (heart of big city ghetto) and yet they're all college grad, even one of them is a Cardiologist.

And there's the problem... it's not because of the school that are rigged against blacks or latinos... it's the fact that these students have respect and good behavior. They got that from their parents. When the parents don't teach the kids to behave or how important education is, they will fail.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Speaking of good behaviors, we're now seeing more and more violence against teachers so why the hell do teachers need to care about teaching? I just think schools need to be more tougher, academically and zero tolerance in violence against teachers. Just this year a lone, there had been 3/4 incidents relating to student violence against teachers here in the twin cities. It's just unacceptable. These boards of education presidents need to protect teachers not just students.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »
Speaking of good behaviors, we're now seeing more and more violence against teachers so why the hell do teachers need to care about teaching? I just think schools need to be more tougher, academically and zero tolerance in violence against teachers. Just this year a lone, there had been 3/4 incidents relating to student violence against teachers here in the twin cities. It's just unacceptable. These boards of education presidents need to protect teachers not just students.

To some, cops' lives don't matter, so why would teachers' lives matter? Unless if they are black of course.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »
From my own personal experience, the disparity I've seen comes in the form of school funds from the State/Federal Government. Some schools are better funded than some, regardless of where they are located and or what their current budget situation is.

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Teacher abused by students are rarely if ever talked about even though it's the number one reason why teachers quit. When it comes to discipline in American public schools, it's a joke. Students and parents have their way and not just teachers but administrators hands are tied. I would never recommend becoming a teacher to someone that I love.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
To some, cops' lives don't matter, so why would teachers' lives matter? Unless if they are black of course.

I don't think you can fairly compare teachers to cops. Cops' lives matter, but when you're too cocky because you got a badge and a gun and lose your professionalis m and escalate the situation further, I think your life can be justified being worthless. Most of these police brutality occurrences are due to "mad dog" behaviors. I'm not saying all cops are bad, just a handful of bad apples, but if you protect them you're just as bad. That's the biggest problem every community here in America has. Cops making a case that their lives matter or are in danger? If you're that scared don't become a cop, besides who told you that you can't have body armor and a partner who's going to watch your every move. It's probably best to just shoot 1st and questions later, I supposed...

Solemn Wind,
I'm sure American public schools and the board of education had experienced plenty of student disciplinary actions to the extreme in the past, where the government had to make restrictions on how far punishments can go. And yes, teachers and admins are powerless to do anything except expulsion which doesn't solve the problem but make another school their problem. I think everyone knows where the source of the cancer but don't have the stomach to get rid of it. If a person love to teach, that's their passion, and you can't really stop them from the things they love to do. But if they can choose the course to teach, should teach advance courses... It's regular courses that are the worst, this is why many teachers lose interest in teaching and just putting up for the sake of a pension plan and a paycheck because they can't go anywhere else.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:04:39 AM »
I don't think you can fairly compare teachers to cops. Cops' lives matter, but when you're too cocky because you got a badge and a gun and lose your professionalis m and escalate the situation further, I think your life can be justified being worthless. Most of these police brutality occurrences are due to "mad dog" behaviors. I'm not saying all cops are bad, just a handful of bad apples, but if you protect them you're just as bad. That's the biggest problem every community here in America has. Cops making a case that their lives matter or are in danger? If you're that scared don't become a cop, besides who told you that you can't have body armor and a partner who's going to watch your every move. It's probably best to just shoot 1st and questions later, I supposed...

Solemn Wind,
I'm sure American public schools and the board of education had experienced plenty of student disciplinary actions to the extreme in the past, where the government had to make restrictions on how far punishments can go. And yes, teachers and admins are powerless to do anything except expulsion which doesn't solve the problem but make another school their problem. I think everyone knows where the source of the cancer but don't have the stomach to get rid of it. If a person love to teach, that's their passion, and you can't really stop them from the things they love to do. But if they can choose the course to teach, should teach advance courses... It's regular courses that are the worst, this is why many teachers lose interest in teaching and just putting up for the sake of a pension plan and a paycheck because they can't go anywhere else.

Cops lives matter just as much as teachers or any other lives. When you start measuring the value of life of one group and compared it to another group, is when problems start. When we value the lives of one group to be greater than the lives of another group, that's when lives don't matter. And even though all lives have equal value, some are at higher risk of dying. This is when we provide different groups with different needs. Example, cops are given guns and teachers not teachers.

On your comment about some shouldn't be cops, by law, cops have a duty to serve and protect the community, but sacrificing their own lives is not a requirement. This is when lawfully qualified to be a cop and morally qualified to be a cop bump heads.   In situations that they truly feel that their lives are in danger, they can use their guns.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:50 AM »
Parents and students need to be held accountable just as teachers are. If a student misbehave, they should be suspended. If it happens more than a few times, he/she should be expelled. They are in school to learn, not to be baby-set.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 03:27:12 AM »
Math is a universal language so how can it be rigged against blacks and Latinos?

It boils down to mentality. I've been to several school districts that were as different as night and day. Students from predominantly black and latino school districts simply don't put in as much effort on schoolwork. Unfortunately, their parents help them find all sorts of excuses not to complete assignments. They like to use money as the main source of problem. Even if a teacher had the most fun and exciting project for a classroom, a majority of the kids would find excuses not to complete it. Thus, it is just easier to pass out boring worksheets in class. A lot of them are going to say that they can't get a poster board, or a shoebox, or magazines, etc. Why? Because parents don't see relevance in any of it.

The reality is that it isn't the modern technology in wealthier schools that make education better. Parents have a much higher expectation for their child to perform well. Thus, students (though not all but at least the majority) come prepared to learn. Assignments tend to be project-based rather than out of the textbook or worksheets. Students find it much more rewarding and challenging to complete assignments that have real-life relevance. Try to hand out that kind of assignment to kids from bilingual schools and lower-income districts. Most will come back with a bunch of excuses.

zena

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
It is pretty sad. 

I remember going to a mostly Hispanic school and was bullied constantly.  My grades failed and my GPA went down to almost nothing.  I was very devastated and skipped school all the time because I didn't want to be bullied.  I'd cry every night fearing my future.  Considered getting married young just to get away even though I knew it would be wrong.

But, a light clicked when my older sister was transferring out to another school where her best friend was going.  This was my opportunity to fight tooth and nail to get out as well so I begged my sister to take me with her to ask for a transfer too.  They wouldn't allow it. Said I had to wait until I was a senior to transfer.  That would mean two more years of torture and I couldn't do it.  So begged and begged and cried and cried.  I begged my sister to tell them I had to transfer too.

Before I left the school's office that day, I was officially transferred and I never missed a single school day once I got acclimated to the new school and graduated with almost straight A's and honor role and went to college and moved on with life.  The damage in middle and 9th grade was hard to overcome so there was a lot of struggle.  Not only that but being of 2 cultures was difficult as well.  It was a challenging childhood but I wanted to put freedom to use and I had a curiosity for what was "better" out there than what I had, which was really, nothing.

I didn't ask to be treated better or to be given an advantage because I was Asian.  I just wanted something better and I did what I could for what I wanted. 

So I don't think any race should be given advantages.  It's unfair.

zena

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
In middle school, in Spanish class, the Hispanics were so lout and rude and the teacher (who was Caucasian and loved the Hispanic/Mexican culture) had to stop teaching to calm the class down but no one would listen to her.  She then attempted to lecture the students on her love of the culture and her passion to teach and make a difference and stuff and she started crying because it meant so much to her, and guess what one student did?  He/she threw a spit wad or something at her and the whole class laughed and laughed and continued being loud and obnoxious.  I was so heartbroken I wanted to do something to make the teacher see that not all her students were like that.  She had left the room after the incident and never returned.

We had subs the next few days or so and then we got a new teacher and this new teacher was mean.  She didn't teach us anything. She only babysat us for the rest of the school year.

There are moments (not very often) that I still think of this kind and sweet Spanish teacher and I wish I had had the opportunity to tell her that she was a great teacher, a great person, and that I missed her and that I am sorry for how those students treated her.  I wish that I had left the room when she did.

No regrets or anything but just remembering how cruel these students were and the life lesson I learned from it.

Advertisements