Advertisement

Author Topic: If there is an "Asian Privilege", I sure didn't benefit from it.  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-peter-liang-asian-american-privilege-20160421-snap-story.html

This idiot Korean think we Asian have "Asian privilege"... First it was "White Privilege" - a whole conference and college degree dedicated to it. And now we have "Asian privilege". What's next... Indian (not native) Privilege, Latino Privilege?
You can't keep telling people that they're successful because they have privileges.

If I had Asian Privilege, I didn't get any benefits from it. I had racism thrown at me by blacks, whites, latinos, etc. I didn't get my college degree because of my privileges, I didn't get my job because of my privileges.

Does any of you PHers got your Asian Privilege benefits?

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Adverstisement

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: If there is an "Asian Privilege", I sure didn't benefit from it.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Those of us who never got it should petition for back pay. ;D

Buttercup

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »
I see and know more white guys who are willing to marry an Asian woman rather than a black woman.  This article says that Asians are privileged more than blacks is just wrong.

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:02:43 PM »
I've gone to Chinese restaurants with my in-laws where the restaurant staff gave us both the menu and the "secret menu"...

When I go to places like China Town, the merchants don't try to hose me for more money than what their merchandises are really worth...

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
So, I read the article. Noticeably different from what was implied, but a long the same vein.

The article touches on so many points, to center on Asian privilege would be untrue and unfaithful to this editorial post. The commentary is about the Asian minority in today's social structure. In one respect, other races see us generalized by old stereotypes, for better or worse. In the case of Officer Liang, the article presents what role his race played in sentencing and outcome. Professor Kim touches on the stereotypes Asians have faced, both detrimental and beneficial. The ASIAN PRIVILEGE she wrote about dealt with how OTHERS perceived us and thus have allowed us certain...bene fits. Never did she imply privilege similar to WHITE PRIVILEGE;

That Asian Americans experience discrimination does not secure their innocence. Nor does the fact that their privileges and immunities are not as complete or robust as those of whites-Kim

There's too much to this article to encompass in just one post here.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
The thing with privilege is that sometimes it is subtle and goes unnoticed.  So it’s easy for you to not see it. 

For example, it’s easier for me to walk into the LV store here in SF without security staring me down making sure I wasn't up to no good.  That's because there are tons of very rich Chinese who shop in droves at that store and they simply assume I'm Chinese.

I've been in some bars where it was easy to get in without much hassle, but when I get inside its basically Asian and whites, absolutely no blacks and maybe a handful of Latinos.  And at one point they were double carding black people.

Even though some people will not admit it but looking at a resume that says Jonathan Chen versus Dre Johnson, even before looking at the rest of it, a person hiring may have already made generalization s about the two candidate.

I believe privileges exist and sometimes people benefit from them and sometimes they don’t.  I have and I'm fortunate that sometimes it works in my favor.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
The thing with privilege is that sometimes it is subtle and goes unnoticed.  So it’s easy for you to not see it. 

For example, it’s easier for me to walk into the LV store here in SF without security staring me down making sure I wasn't up to no good.  That's because there are tons of very rich Chinese who shop in droves at that store and they simply assume I'm Chinese. That's not privilege... that's assumption because a lot of rich Chinese shop there, you being an Asian is assume to be a rich Asian. If there were a lot of rich blacks shopping at that place, security would treat them nicely while treating you like you're a crook.

I've been in some bars where it was easy to get in without much hassle, but when I get inside its basically Asian and whites, absolutely no blacks and maybe a handful of Latinos.  And at one point they were double carding black people.
Again, depending on where you're at... if this was a place frequent by blacks, you'll be looked on like a outcast.

Even though some people will not admit it but looking at a resume that says Jonathan Chen versus Dre Johnson, even before looking at the rest of it, a person hiring may have already made generalization s about the two candidate.
Depend on what the job is... If it's hard labor, they'll rather pass Mr. Chen and go for Mr. Johnson.

I believe privileges exist and sometimes people benefit from them and sometimes they don’t.  I have and I'm fortunate that sometimes it works in my favor.

In that case... there must be a "black privilege" too. A black person would automatically assume to be better at B-ball, T&F, boxing... Those are privilege by your definition...

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Asian women has the Asian privilege when it comes to dating (or mating).  Men of all races want Asian women.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:28 AM »
In that case... there must be a "black privilege" too. A black person would automatically assume to be better at B-ball, T&F, boxing... Those are privilege by your definition...

Lol, what do you think "privilege" is then?

Its an advantage or right given to a person or group.  So if a black people shop at XYZ and they don't get haggle but I do (because I'm not black) then that means they have a privilege, they have a "right or advantage" over me that doesn't result in them getting haggle.

Lol...you simply refuted your own argument.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:11:57 PM »
Lol, what do you think "privilege" is then?

Its an advantage or right given to a person or group.  So if a black people shop at XYZ and they don't get haggle but I do (because I'm not black) then that means they have a privilege, they have a "right or advantage" over me that doesn't result in them getting haggle.

Lol...you simply refuted your own argument.

No... I did not refute my argument... I'm simply stating that there is no such thing a "white privilege", "Asian privilege", etc. And if we're going to throw out the "privilege" thing, it's on all races, including black.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:46 AM »
No... I did not refute my argument... I'm simply stating that there is no such thing a "white privilege", "Asian privilege", etc. And if we're going to throw out the "privilege" thing, it's on all races, including black.

Yeah, it affects not just races, but all kinds of groupings.  Why do you think groups like veterans have privileges or students or the elderly.

But race base privilege is seen in a lesser light because one doesn't really have to do much to earn it.  But yeah black privilege exist, it probably won't get you much, but I'm sure under some circumstances it exist.

Wow, this was an easy debate.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Yeah, it affects not just races, but all kinds of groupings.  Why do you think groups like veterans have privileges or students or the elderly.

But race base privilege is seen in a lesser light because one doesn't really have to do much to earn it.  But yeah black privilege exist, it probably won't get you much, but I'm sure under some circumstances it exist.

Wow, this was an easy debate.

Hmm.

I think it's a little subtle but his argument is there are NO privileges due to race or other. No Black privileges, Asian privileges and thus NO WHITE PRIVILEGES as well.

*wink wink*

FetishDream

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
Azn privilege eh?

When my dad first got to the states, he was washing dishes and saved up enough to buy our family our first G ride.  Then we all gathered into the car and off we go.  My dad was driving and he went down the highway, the wrong way.  A cop pulls him over.  He asked for license and registration but no insurance because during that time, insurance was optional in the narleans days.  My dad busted out his viet/english with 95% viet and 5% army trained english like "go go salem" means I need a cigarette and salem was a popular brand back in them days. 

The cop just shakes his head and let us all go.  My dad ended up going for his license the legit way and told us that never in a million  years do viet in vietnam had to buy something, get license to operate it.  Welcome to america baby.   :2funny:

yeah, using azn juice to get you away from the law.   Me no speak english.   O0

Another time was in high school.   I spoke english like a champ and I went to this southern cali highschool called barstow high.  Yeah, it is the last big cali city before you head to las vegas.  So anyways, I was a new kid in the school for transfer.  The 5th only azn guy in the whole school.  I used the azn juice to my advantage and milked it.  Took auto mechanic class and did not say a word of english for the whole school year.  I played the new kid, new from china role.  Got F and D's on my tests and did not even understand the basic of car parts like the where the starter is and what not.  Ended up getting an A out of that class just playing my role.  The teacher told me to take his class again because he was so highly favored of me.  I fake the me no speak english but when he calls me by name, I don't just walk to him, I ran to him like a trained soldier. 

Azn juice and faking the funk got me an A in such class and me no speak english got me laid by a mexican chick at the school with big ol tittay. 

enough said.  Azn privilege.   Can't use that mutant power again because time makes even the fobbiest of the fobby mtt folks to speak english like a champ these days. 

six

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »
Interesting...  Too many complex topics in that one short article.  I had to read it line by line several times.   :D

I think the author is more-so talking about Chinese and Korean women, but it's complicated... .in that you can include Vietnamese women and some Asian men in there too.  So then, you have to refer to everyone as Asian Americans.  And then in the eyes of white Americans, you are all Asian Americans, kind of like if you're only seeing America through the television set, you'd think most of everyone in America is a doctor or lawyer.  sh!t....do I make any sense?  ahahhahaha...I shouldn't be drinking on a Tuesday night.

Anyhow...I see what the author is talking about, but do you guys?  Kinda funny how this works that the people with privileges cannot see their privilege.  Explain white privilege to a white person, and you'll get the same responses as on here. 

Like this post: +1

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 03:14:07 AM »
Of course there are privileges of every kind and everybody has them. The question is:

"How are you going to make yours work in your favor?"

And once you get things your way, how will you maintain your status?

It is a dog eat dog world. Quit crying about it and start strategizing. Every dominant race had to start from the bottom up and even those at the top lost their rank.

Advertisements