Advertisement

Author Topic: Speaking of the minimun wage going up to 15 bucks an hour...  (Read 14777 times)

Giggles_Shyly

Re: Speaking of the minimun wage going up to 15 bucks an hour...
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »
My sil says district matters a lot. Some districts have a higher standard for education verse others.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 04:09:03 AM »
Fuel to the Fire 2....

It takes about $180 today to have the same buying power as $100 in 1990. 

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 07:33:18 AM »
Inflation! A rise to more $$$ means face value decreases. America's deficit is like age, it only goes up and never down.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
Is 52 bucks an hour alot?

Sometimes the way I read some of the posts in here it almost sounds like a lot of the folks in here are making mad money...

I know even minimum wage if it was 15 bucks an hour seems alot to me.  But dang it sounds puny to how it seems the folks in here make.

Even 30 bucks an hour I would still feel embarrassed disclosing in here. 

It's almost like if my yearly income wasn't 80k+ is be embarrassed talking about it.

And even then, it would only feel barely respectable.

But anyways, I was talking to a friend today and asking me about how and what I was going to do in my field etc etc..

And he said I need and should get a couple other more stuff becuase he was saying that he knew a guy who went the same route as me and got a couple more stuff and was starting offer was 52 bucks an hour!

52 bucks an hour is over 100k a year..wow..

But my thing is, I keep looking up these jobs in the internet and it doesn't say the yearly salary is anywhere near 50 bucks an hour..  More like 25-30 bucks an hour...

Oh wells...I'll guess I'll see when I get out there.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

zena

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »
Pretty much like chromebook in school is already taken place so probably no need for school to be open M-F anymore.  I hate how school is nowadays.  My kids tell me they have no hw when I tell them it is hw time.  I don't care how good their progress report card look because I am not seeing some real learning.  Look like teacher are becoming lazy preparing assignment/schoolwork with the chromebook.

That is so cheating.  My kids have a ton of homework.  My 3rd grader is doing fractions and divisions right now and is required to do at least 10 minutes of it a day (on the computer) + 20 minutes of reading a day, and this is on top of regular take home math homework, spelling homework, and comprehension homework.  My middle school daughter is always bombarded with homework and projects (projects are at least once every other week and homework is daily), it's unbelievable.  If I wasn't a SAHM, the kids would be so lost. 

*I'm kidding about the cheating part*  :)

It makes you wonder what kinds of kids we are sending out into the world, doesn't it?  Not sure which is the better way.  It almost seems like this is all a "test" of some kind.

Sleipnir

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
Is 52 bucks an hour alot?

Sometimes the way I read some of the posts in here it almost sounds like a lot of the folks in here are making mad money...

I know even minimum wage if it was 15 bucks an hour seems alot to me.  But dang it sounds puny to how it seems the folks in here make.

Even 30 bucks an hour I would still feel embarrassed disclosing in here. 

It's almost like if my yearly income wasn't 80k+ is be embarrassed talking about it.

And even then, it would only feel barely respectable.

But anyways, I was talking to a friend today and asking me about how and what I was going to do in my field etc etc..

And he said I need and should get a couple other more stuff becuase he was saying that he knew a guy who went the same route as me and got a couple more stuff and was starting offer was 52 bucks an hour!

52 bucks an hour is over 100k a year..wow..

But my thing is, I keep looking up these jobs in the internet and it doesn't say the yearly salary is anywhere near 50 bucks an hour..  More like 25-30 bucks an hour...

Oh wells...I'll guess I'll see when I get out there.

I make $115,000/Year, which breaks down to about $55 and some change an hour....  That doesn't include what my wife makes, and she brings in another $80K not including income from rental and investments.

Believe me, it's not "rich" in the sense many people might think...  where we're living in a huge 4,000 sq ft house on the lake and driving matching BMW M6s... 

We live in an older subdivision with great neighbors, drive honda's and Toyota's...  The places we hit up the most when we eat out is Quang's in minneapolis, Mcdonald's and Noodles for the kids, and we shop at target and cub more than anywhere else.

Do wages need to increase in America, I think they do.  I was working for $15 an hour 10 years ago when i was just a temp out of college.  I can't even imagine raising my family struggling like that paycheck to paycheck.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »
That is so cheating.  My kids have a ton of homework.  My 3rd grader is doing fractions and divisions right now and is required to do at least 10 minutes of it a day (on the computer) + 20 minutes of reading a day, and this is on top of regular take home math homework, spelling homework, and comprehension homework.  My middle school daughter is always bombarded with homework and projects (projects are at least once every other week and homework is daily), it's unbelievable.  If I wasn't a SAHM, the kids would be so lost. 

*I'm kidding about the cheating part*  :)

It makes you wonder what kinds of kids we are sending out into the world, doesn't it?  Not sure which is the better way.  It almost seems like this is all a "test" of some kind.

This new school make me wished i could have kept my kids at their old school.  They learned so much better.  Im a parent who question teacher a lot but all i get is that they are still adjusting and hopefully it will be better next year because curriculum will change a little.  My husband is telling me to signed our son in K for summer school.  I told him I need a break and maybe I could just work with him at home as the other kids will be gone for the summer.  I could get him into a reading program. 

Some parent may think different then me.  I still expect my kids to do hw at least 20-30 min so I can see what they are learning.  Get an idea of what is being taught during each subject up to date.  Read 20-30 min before bedtime.  At least with my oldest I can see how hard she work, focus, etc. and schooling was more real in that short time that chromebook has replaced textbook when she enter HS.  With the younger kids i believed it will become more of a problem with the existence of chromebook when it replaced assignment and hw in classwork because they are not allowed to bring it home.  I dont know what is their chromebook. 

With my oldest she text me during classroom when she need something or to talk not related to school.  I guess that what happen when your chromebook replaced textbook.  Student today is using less school supplies.  You dont have a textbook for each class.  You dont have a 3 ring binder/notebook for each class.  Every assignment and test is done in their chromebook.  You no longer see them bring their test home so see how they did or missed/scored, etc.  They dont print out every assignment out because i already kniw it will cost more $$ for printer paper and ink.

Lets just see how it will be with chromebook in the longer run since it has been for 2-4 yrs.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:11 PM »
These are all good points made across many complex issues. Even though the simplified argument may be to raise the minimum wage, it's just the tip of the iceberg. The largest underlying issue is the rate of inflation. Wages have not risen at the same rate as the cost of living. Our parents had less choices available to them. And made due. Yet their purchasing power at that time allowed them to make it work. If employees today were paid wages similar to our parents, and tried to live as they did, we'd be on welfare. Under a bridge somewhere.

The perception is that it's a BLM thing. An illegal immigrant thing. A minimum wage worker thing. It's not. The core of the true argument is to realign the rate increase of wages to match that of the cost of living. But the problem is we've allowed so many X amount of years to pass that the gap is so huge, that it can't happen without someone taking the deficit. It's Business 101. To increase net profit, someone has to carry the burden. Passing the buck.

The national argument seems to want to focus on just fastfood workers. Why? Because they represent a large faction and they're at the bottom rung of any corporate ladder. The effects of a minimum wage increase would affect them first and most.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:57:55 AM by lexicon »

zena

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »
I make $115,000/Year, which breaks down to about $55 and some change an hour....  That doesn't include what my wife makes, and she brings in another $80K not including income from rental and investments.

Believe me, it's not "rich" in the sense many people might think...  where we're living in a huge 4,000 sq ft house on the lake and driving matching BMW M6s... 

We live in an older subdivision with great neighbors, drive honda's and Toyota's...  The places we hit up the most when we eat out is Quang's in minneapolis, Mcdonald's and Noodles for the kids, and we shop at target and cub more than anywhere else.

Do wages need to increase in America, I think they do.  I was working for $15 an hour 10 years ago when i was just a temp out of college.  I can't even imagine raising my family struggling like that paycheck to paycheck.

If min wage raises to $15, I think it would be nice if the middle class got a small boost too.  :)

With my oldest she text me during classroom when she need something or to talk not related to school.  I guess that what happen when your chromebook replaced textbook.  Student today is using less school supplies.  You dont have a textbook for each class.  You dont have a 3 ring binder/notebook for each class.  Every assignment and test is done in their chromebook.  You no longer see them bring their test home so see how they did or missed/scored, etc.  They dont print out every assignment out because i already kniw it will cost more $$ for printer paper and ink.

Lets just see how it will be with chromebook in the longer run since it has been for 2-4 yrs.

LOL...my daughter texts me too from school to bring her stuff or just about things unrelated to school.  In school, my kids do use Chrome books but they don't bring them home and they are not on them all day at school.  I personally don't mind them because the world is really all about technology so it's good that these kids learn to use them.
These are all good points made across many complex issues. Even though the simplified argument may be to raise the minimum wage, it's just the tip of the iceberg. The largest underlying issue is the rate of inflation. Wages have not risen at the same rate as the cost of living. Our parents had less choices available to them. And made due. Yet their purchasing power at that time allowed them to make it work. If employees today were paid wages similar to our parents, and tried to live as they did, we'd be on welfare. Under a bridge somewhere.

The perception is that it's a BLM thing. An illegal immigrant thing. A minimum wage worker thing. It's not. The core of the true argument is to realign the rate increase of wages to to match that of the cost of living. But the problem is we've allowed so many X amount of years to pass that the gap is so huge, that it can't happen without someone taking the deficit. It's Business 101. To increase net profit, someone has to carry the burden. Passing the buck.

The national argument seems to want to focus on just fastfood workers. Why? Because they represent a large faction and they're at the bottom rung of any corporate ladder. The effects of a minimum wage increase would affect them first and most.

Would this help them do their jobs better?  More professionally?  Will it help them realize that $15 isn't very much or will they settle for it?  I know that the reason minimum wage is set so low is so that people don't settle in those lowly jobs. It should motivate them to work harder and move up and out.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
My thing is....  I always reflect on my parents wages back in the day...

Yeah yeah adjust for inflation yaddie yaddie but...  A brand new Toyota truck was still like 20k+.. Etc etc..

And for both parents way back in the day to only bring in 250-300 a week each....  And still afford for a bunch if kids, two vehicles and be able to be a homeowner, I just don't get how others cant make it.  They were paying for electricity, phone bills, gas bills, all those other family related bills ..

And they made it on less than 10 dollars an hour..  Some instances, less than 8 and 7....

Yea I agree the pay should increase but....  Hey alot of folks were making it with so much less back in the day..and even today...  So I don't understand it...

Yeah yeah where you live have something to do with it too but still...

Not too long ago...  I guess maybe 10 years ago...  I was working at a plant, they pay wasn't 15 bucks an hour...

But I was talking to a couple...we were all talking about how this place was one of the better place to work becuase the pay was good...  They was telling me how they got a house with 40 acres and they both got a car each...and how they carved out a little something good for them self...they actually lived in a different state and commute down to work and stay with relatives during the week...

Anyways I remember thinking wow...  They got all of that with a combined income if under 50k a year..after taxes are said and done...

Even now, they pay there hasn't changed much.

In a side note I started working there and was thinking I'd be able to get the new civic si's, unfortunately when it came time to hire in the temps like me, they couldn't account for my missing work history and I was let go...cheezez!

I could've been driving the new si's!  Oh wells!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »
But...  I don't really know all about that 15 bucks for fast food workers...

Me and a friend's was talking the other day...

If they are going to do that...it should be like....

They should have to apply for that wage...and the application should have it based on certain criterias.. .

I mean, all the teengers are going to apply for a job there and it isn't to feed thier family, it's to buy that car, for spring break, that prom night, summer vacation, etc etc etc....

So in the end, raising the min wage, will it even work?

I then can see it as a sort of discrimination if teenagers arent eligable to apply...

I guess the difference in wage increase should be government subsidized... Instead of food stamps and ebt, they can apply and get that higher wage that's actually subsidized by the government, that way you can have a happy equilibrium with the teens.

But then, wells!  We're going to have to raise taxes...

Sleipnir

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:18 AM »
My thing is....  I always reflect on my parents wages back in the day...

Yeah yeah adjust for inflation yaddie yaddie but...  A brand new Toyota truck was still like 20k+.. Etc etc..

And for both parents way back in the day to only bring in 250-300 a week each....  And still afford for a bunch if kids, two vehicles and be able to be a homeowner, I just don't get how others cant make it.  They were paying for electricity, phone bills, gas bills, all those other family related bills ..

And they made it on less than 10 dollars an hour..  Some instances, less than 8 and 7....

Yea I agree the pay should increase but....  Hey alot of folks were making it with so much less back in the day..and even today...  So I don't understand it...

Yeah yeah where you live have something to do with it too but still...

Not too long ago...  I guess maybe 10 years ago...  I was working at a plant, they pay wasn't 15 bucks an hour...

But I was talking to a couple...we were all talking about how this place was one of the better place to work becuase the pay was good...  They was telling me how they got a house with 40 acres and they both got a car each...and how they carved out a little something good for them self...they actually lived in a different state and commute down to work and stay with relatives during the week...

Anyways I remember thinking wow...  They got all of that with a combined income if under 50k a year..after taxes are said and done...

Even now, they pay there hasn't changed much.

In a side note I started working there and was thinking I'd be able to get the new civic si's, unfortunately when it came time to hire in the temps like me, they couldn't account for my missing work history and I was let go...cheezez!

I could've been driving the new si's!  Oh wells!

When by parents bought the house we grew up in, they bought it for 63K back in the day, 25 years ago in a smaller city.  Housing was so much more affordable back then in terms of pricing.  My parents recently sold to move into their next home since they have an empty house but are just turning the 60 corner and are able bodied (both are retired but are still active in church, farming, etc...).

By the time us kids were 15 or 16, we all had part time jobs working at grocery stories, restaurants, at the mall, etc...  and I think that helped a ton for my folks.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
When by parents bought the house we grew up in, they bought it for 63K back in the day, 25 years ago in a smaller city.  Housing was so much more affordable back then in terms of pricing.  My parents recently sold to move into their next home since they have an empty house but are just turning the 60 corner and are able bodied (both are retired but are still active in church, farming, etc...).

By the time us kids were 15 or 16, we all had part time jobs working at grocery stories, restaurants, at the mall, etc...  and I think that helped a ton for my folks.

Hmong parent/family that arrived late 70's or early 80's and start working in company or social services.  Many of them are able to become homeowner with their $3-4 min wage starting wage and saving a little to achieved the American dream.  That job today is probably $11-15.  They are in a good situation because they still have a job and their home was cheaper back then that they can still continued to be doing okay living within their means.  Very few are able to paid off a 15 year mortgage vs today is 30 yr. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
But...  I don't really know all about that 15 bucks for fast food workers...

Me and a friend's was talking the other day...

If they are going to do that...it should be like....

They should have to apply for that wage...and the application should have it based on certain criterias.. .

I mean, all the teengers are going to apply for a job there and it isn't to feed thier family, it's to buy that car, for spring break, that prom night, summer vacation, etc etc etc....

So in the end, raising the min wage, will it even work?

I then can see it as a sort of discrimination if teenagers arent eligable to apply...

I guess the difference in wage increase should be government subsidized... Instead of food stamps and ebt, they can apply and get that higher wage that's actually subsidized by the government, that way you can have a happy equilibrium with the teens.

But then, wells!  We're going to have to raise taxes...

$15 min wage at fast food is too much.  They might as well just hired and make it full time.  I don't know where 16 yo or high school looking for part time job will be looking....... .....   

Any change in wage is going to have people make demanding change in ssi/disability, fs, wic, etc.  They are going to have to adjust and increase the income eligibility.

zena

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
I think it's a good thing to increase to $15 and have teenagers work the wage because they are probably the number one consumer out there and will definitely boost the economy.  It would definitely take a load off me if my daughter made that much when she starts working.  She can then save for college and spend on all the clothes she wants.

Advertisements