Advertisement

Author Topic: I almost had to kick one of my childhood friends' butt  (Read 9720 times)

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
Re: I almost had to kick one of my childhood friends' butt
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
She wanted the same respect that's given to men during such an event. 

Like this post: 0
Different 💩 same smell

Adverstisement

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 07:55:19 PM »
Nah, what’s so bad and unnecessary about “pe” for “ua rau kevcai?” So what if this is the West now. That alone should not kill off the practice/culture. If there’s still a place for it, which there is, then keep it.

The issue is your definition. You call it “kowtowing” rather than “bowing.” The connotation of the former is to submit and be subservient when the latter is to show appreciation, courtesy, and respect in a benign manner.

The picture of the Chinese kowtowing to the official is pretty much forced upon him, or else some sort of negative results occur. On the other hand the Xyom Cuab’s family members bowing is done with no coercion and no consequence. Just water off a ducks’ back. Big difference.

That’s like thinking or saying the act of sex (penetration) reminds you of rape, so should be outlawed. They share the same or similar physical actions but are entirely different in intention.

Edit: Actually, I don’t even know what that Chinese picture is about, but I’m assuming it’s a lowly peasant having to be submissive to an official to get something approved..

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:47:30 PM by YeejKoob13 »

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +648
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 09:39:05 PM »
When I donate at funeral, I leave quickly sometimes not even etching my name. Most times, they would chase me down and drag me up to “ua tsaug”. They say their ua tsaug and I offer my condolences(tsis txhob ua tsaug). I usually finish first and making sure the two guys next to me never having to kowtow because I would grab their arm keeping them up. It hast failed yet.

Talk about kowtowing, I had to give my new BIL and his pib laj a face towel each to wipe sweat off from kowtowing to every single relative. It was tough to watch this part but overall, their Hmong wedding was one of the smoothest wedding I’ve experienced.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2023, 11:39:48 AM »
Majority of Christian funeral don't do the bow down or ritual chanting thing... they simply thank the person for their kindness and gift.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Advertisements