Advertisement

Author Topic: 2016 Honda Pilot Elite  (Read 6188 times)

Sleipnir

2016 Honda Pilot Elite
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Any of you guys own or know of someone who owns one?

Do they like it so far now that they're using it for real life situations (car seat friendly, getting around town, shopping, parking in a ramp downtown, acceleration, features, push button transmission, fuel economy, hauling strollers/grocery/etc..., towing)?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sifu

Re: 2016 Honda Pilot Elite
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »
The Pilot screams "not a minivan but I should have gotten a mini van."  I hear the newer 9 speed (9?!?!) has issues.  Then again what Honda doesn't have suspension, transmission issues.  Seems $$$ but I suppose if you wanted an urban crawler this would work well.  For towing medium/heavy loads I wouldn't put much faith in it.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »
The new Pilot is so ugly while the new CRV is nice. 

Sleipnir

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
The new Pilot is so ugly while the new CRV is nice.

Both are really designed using the same lines...  I really hated the boxy look of the last generation, that design was way more ugly than the current model.  I like the Pilot a lot more in person when I saw it at the Minneapolis auto show a couple months ago.  I like Honda's 4wd system way more than competitors which uses braking instead of Honda's torque vectoring to improve the traction system.

It now comes with captain's chairs in the 2nd row, which it never had before which was always a deal breaker for me (can't put an infant seat and allow other kids to go around without having to take it out because the entire 2nd row had to fold down and slide forward...  that's a deal breaker for any SUV/Van).  Having it makes it so much easier to get older kids or people in the back without having to undo everything.

I also like the built in sun visor, which makes it so much easier for kids.  Also has so much more room than the previous years.

Pilot:

CRV:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:06:44 AM by Sleipnir »

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:30:47 AM »
Just see if you can rent one for the weekend

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Sleipnir

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
Just see if you can rent one for the weekend

Yeah, we're looking into that.  The problem is, it is almost impossible to find the exact model we want, and in rental lots, you only get to choose one that is on the lot...  and they never know when a certain model is coming through their lots.  It could be anything on any given day.

You can also test drive too, but nobody has one on the lot long enough to actually test drive.  The sales guy who was at the auto show said basically every dealer can't hold onto one long enough since there is already a deposit from a customer on them.

Sifu

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
If you're getting the 9speed seriously wait.  Every first Gen Honda transmission always has issues that get fixed in the second Gen.  There are reports of the 9 speed auto trans giving owners issues already.

Sleipnir

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:26 AM »
If you're getting the 9speed seriously wait.  Every first Gen Honda transmission always has issues that get fixed in the second Gen.  There are reports of the 9 speed auto trans giving owners issues already.

Yeah, I was really hesitant on the 9 speed too...  When I was talking with the sales guy and he mentioned that, i just raised an eyebrow (kind of overkill for an SUV that is meant to haul kids around).  I said, you might get 1 or 2 mpg better fuel economy, but for a growing family and hauling them, dogs, and a boat to the lake...  last thing i really worry about is fuel.  It's more about functionality, space, safety, and how many outlets does it have to charge ipads.

We also really like the Sequoia, with the room it had and the power/towing capabilities it has, with push button 4wd...  I currently have a 2013 Toyota Tundra (bought when i was single in 2012) which we use to haul stuff and tow with (and my current daily to and from work... and I park this beast in tight parking ramp at the office)... and felt that the Sequoia would be a great family hauler.  We held out for the new Pilot, but sounds like it might be a huge disappointment .  So we're leaning away from the pilot now.

Sifu

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
The 9 speed is just for fuel economy but those savings get tossed out the window when it needs servicing.  I'm in the market for either an older Sequoia or Landcruiser for family hauling.  Love my Tundra but hate how I can watch the gas gauge just dip into EMPTY.

Sleipnir

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
The 9 speed is just for fuel economy but those savings get tossed out the window when it needs servicing.  I'm in the market for either an older Sequoia or Landcruiser for family hauling.  Love my Tundra but hate how I can watch the gas gauge just dip into EMPTY.

I hear ya.  I just don't understand why Honda would slap that 9 speed from the RDX (already known to cause complaints from consumers) into the Honda Pilot, which is meant for more general mainstream market and major mass production.

We also looked at the landcruiser and 4runner too, but it seemed less forgiving with infant and convertible car seats (another baby in less than a month).

Sifu

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
They put on the 9 speed because Merc did it.  It does give savings but not at the cost of repair.  Yeah, I feel you because when we want to all go to the mall we have to take two cars.  I'm not looking for anything new (minvans are $50k!!!) but something for the weekend to haul family around.

Sleipnir

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
They put on the 9 speed because Merc did it.  It does give savings but not at the cost of repair.  Yeah, I feel you because when we want to all go to the mall we have to take two cars.  I'm not looking for anything new (minvans are $50k!!!) but something for the weekend to haul family around.

Yeah, I saw the sticker on some of these new mini vans and couldn't believe how much they cost now..

I can practically pick up a used GTR for that price.

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »
Any suv  or minivan 40k+ aren't worth it new. I rather buy a cheaper minivan for 20-25k to haul the family.

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Yeah, we're looking into that.  The problem is, it is almost impossible to find the exact model we want, and in rental lots, you only get to choose one that is on the lot...  and they never know when a certain model is coming through their lots.  It could be anything on any given day.

You can also test drive too, but nobody has one on the lot long enough to actually test drive.  The sales guy who was at the auto show said basically every dealer can't hold onto one long enough since there is already a deposit from a customer on them.

That what I did never got to see the inside of the Highlander with the 3rd row seat at the shop.  My husband plan was the 3rd row seat Rav4 model.  Never saw one too until I was down at my parent and the dealership is just 3 blocks from their house.  I saw the Rav4 with 3rd row seat and had the kids test it out and it had no leg room.  Took pictures to prove to my husband that it is not for us.  Probably 1-2 week later went back to the dealership and just that morning the Highlander with 3rd row seat option was in the front lot with balloons.  I test drove it and just got it. 

I hate my Highlander.  I don't even drive it anymore.  My husband refused to trade it even it is already paid off early then the original term.  The dealership is always sending out letter to buy or trade in pre owned model. 

I haven't seen the Pilot at the dealership just on the road but as far as size it about the same as the CRV.  I like the look of the old boxy one but not the seatbelt for 2nd row or middle seat.   

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Any suv  or minivan 40k+ aren't worth it new. I rather buy a cheaper minivan for 20-25k to haul the family.

Any car I get I stick with base model because the price tag jump.  Not going for limited or special edition.  No one really have time to check out all the cool features in the car these day with all those wacko technology.  I'm more scared of the new features dying and not working properly. 

Advertisements