Advertisement

Author Topic: Wausau man fails in murder appeal  (Read 5808 times)

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

Wausau man fails in murder appeal
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »
WAUSAU - A man who shot and killed his estranged wife and her friend and then fled to Mexico will remain behind bars after an appellate court on Tuesday denied his latest attempt to appeal his conviction for murder.

Da Vang, 48, formerly of Wausau and currently in the medium-security Stanley Correctional Institute, shot and killed his estranged wife, Jia Yang, 24, and her friend, Voua Lo Kiatoukaysi, 25, on Jan. 28, 1996, then fled to Tijuana, Mexico, where he was found Feb. 29, 1996.

A Marathon County jury found Vang guilty of two counts of first-degree homicide in 1997 and a judge sentenced him to life in prison.

Prior to the 1997 trial, Vang told the judge Marathon County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Howard that he would not participate in the trial, according to court records. Howard made sure Vang understood his right to participate in the trial with the assistance of an attorney and to be present during the trial, according to the documents. The judge required Vang to be present during jury selection, but Vang chose to boycott the proceedings until the trial was almost over.

In 2015, Vang filed a fifth appeal to set aside his conviction. The previous four appeals were either denied or withdrawn, according to court records. In his most recent appeal, Vang stated that his appellate attorney was ineffective, according to court records.

For the full article click the link below:

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/news/crime/2016/05/03/wausau-man-fails-murder-appeal/83868460/

(Da Vang, 46, during his trial)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

SumTingWong

Re: Wausau man fails in murder appeal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
I can't say I would do what he did... but dam, I sure can understand why he did it. Not that I have given much thought to it but Tijuana, Mexico would not be my first choice to flee to... firstly, A Hmong would stick out like an egg roll in a taco convention in Tijuana. Secondly, it's Tijuana, Mexico.... need I say more?

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
Vang peeps are crazy killers... >:D
First it was Cha Vang... then Da Vang... what's next? Ha Vang?

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Blongforever

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:04:51 PM »
I went there in the hope he would blend in with other tourists not knowing that life isn't a vacation when you have no money in TeeHua No.

Blongforever

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »
Vang peeps are crazy killers... >:D
First it was Cha Vang... then Da Vang... what's next? Ha Vang?

I could say that about any clan, including yours. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:50:09 PM »

Yep, there's good and bad apples in every basket i.e., clan, ethnic, race, etc...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
 :2funny:

But Manitoba, Canada would make you him more visible. He chose the better of the only two choices, no?

I can't say I would do what he did... but dam, I sure can understand why he did it. Not that I have given much thought to it but Tijuana, Mexico would not be my first choice to flee to... firstly, A Hmong would stick out like an egg roll in a taco convention in Tijuana. Secondly, it's Tijuana, Mexico.... need I say more?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »

Yes you can... but Vangs make the big news  O0

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »
Why should a man seal his own fate by allowing this kangaroo court to appoint juries? I say he is smart to do so, but fleeing the country...that's just dumb. A live person outside of prison is far more useful to the country than a live person waiting to die in prison. You either execute him or free him. Its a drain on tax payer money. I certainly don't believe dude is a violent or murderous person. Because it's in men' nature to die between the legs, will always kill just because of a woman....etc.

shina

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:49:06 PM »
When he was 24 years old, she was just born. Why did someone so young married someone so old?

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »
When he was 24 years old, she was just born. Why did someone so young married someone so old?

You probably misread it or didn't do the math.......  He's 48 yo now or 2016.  I was like you...damn 20+ in age difference.... ......

He's 28 yo when he killed his estranged wife who is 24 yo and her friend who is 25 yo in 1996.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:58:19 AM by SummerBerry »

Advertisements