Advertisement

Author Topic: Car battery... Which brand is better and where to buy?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
Car battery... Which brand is better and where to buy?
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
I need a new car battery.  My 9 yo drained the car battery one weekend starting Friday evening after coming home from the park.  Like 8/9 pm and didnt shut the passenger door.  We didnt go anywhere but Saturday late like 9/10pm I went to start the other car to go grocery shopping at Walmart and noticed the door on my Highlander wasn't shut.  I closed it but Monday morning when I took my daughter to school the car won't start so I had one of my neighbor cable jump it.  Yesterday I picked my kids from school we was stranded but walked to our good old neighbor for help.  This morning I couldn't start the car to drop my kids off at school.  Today is their last day of school and look like I might have to walk to picked them up. 

I did a few shopping prior to being stranded and each time I put the key into the ignition to start I can tell it feel weak each time like it will give out or something.

My husband told me the battery won't be good once it is jump.  The car is only 6 years old and has 63k mileage on it.  I believed the battery is still good if my kids didnt do what they did and if someone went into the garage and noticed it early vs almost 24+ hrs later. 

My choice is either Costco or Big O Tires. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
Re: Car battery... Which brand is better and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »
These are the best battery. Use to be cheaper but like everything else, inflation!

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/shop/yellowtop/optima-batteries-8014-045-d34-78-yellowtop-starting-and-deep-cycle?gclid=CIun28zcic0CFQMQaQodYBIIBA

Most places sell good battery, you should look at the warranty and cold star up amp. Don't go cheap.

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Sifu

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
Nowadays most batteries are just rebranded products from other places (China).  I've always had good results with DieHard or Interstate batteries (same company I believe).  Even Walmart batteries (Everhard? Lol) work pretty good for the money.  Optima are nice but I've seen them fail too.

I'm in the boat of getting the best battery with the longest warranty for the price.  Battery makers have been getting better with their life expectancy plans.  When they warranty it for 84 months it will last 85 months.  The question is who do you want to deal with when it comes to replacement or purchasing. 

Costco used to be good but I think they've changed their battery policy to pro rate months.  So nope you can't buy a battery, wait 4 years and return it for a new warranty; the will pro rate the previous months onto the new one.  I don't know about Walmart.  I'll get batteries for people who don't care and for the price and return it can be hit or miss.

I say just go back to Toyota.  It's about the same as Sears (maybe not as good as a Diehard) and it has an 84 month warranty.  They'll honor it for the most part with little hassle.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:16:41 PM »
Those OEM batteries have weaker cold cranking amps (CCA) compared to store batteries. I believe she's only in CA, so high CCA isn't a must.

Sifu

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
Those OEM batteries have weaker cold cranking amps (CCA) compared to store batteries. I believe she's only in CA, so high CCA isn't a must.
True but the reliability is a plus for higher CCA batteries.  I have an interstate and a DieHard battery and those things just take a beating and still ask for more.

Also, don't forget the core charge.  Most places give you at least $5 (Toyota gave me $25 for their TrueStart battery). 

It also isn't a bad idea to buy a trickle charger battery tender with sulfate cleaning.  It's saved me many batteries for the low price.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:49:09 PM by Sifu »

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
Rule of thumb for me, a good decent battery should run about 75$.

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
DieHard brands are good, never went wrong with them.

Sifu

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
DieHard brands are good, never went wrong with them.
If you've ever seen those jump packs that autoshops carry they're using DieHard batteries.  Expensive but worth it.  Higher end batteries also discharge (cleaning and maintenance with a charger/tender) more successfully and I assure you that many places will take interstate and die hard batteries happily.  I've easily saved over $2k in batteries from a $60 battery tender. 

I also have an interstate battery that's been sitting outside for 3 years.  I'll see if I can get it to work.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
All I'm saying is if I was your brother in law....yeah ID come fix it for you real quick....

But.. To be a brother in law...you need to hook me up!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
All I'm saying is if I was your brother in law....yeah ID come fix it for you real quick....

But.. To be a brother in law...you need to hook me up!

dont you think you are too OG for her kid sisters?

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Sifu

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
dont you think you are too OG for her kid sisters?
Whoa whoa whoa.  To thePoster ANYONE is fair game.  How does he pick up all the hunnies from the high school?

Offline Superan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa.  To thePoster ANYONE is fair game.  How does he pick up all the hunnies from the high school?

You are right, where is my manners. An old dude with candy justified meeting girls over half his age.

'MELT AWAY WITH ME"

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »

Funny... My sisters are all in their early 30s except my baby sister is 24. 

Im going to check out interstate battery as one I read earlier when searching for best brand.  OEM... But I am going to do a little more reading online before going out there to purchase one as every sales person just want to make $$.  I need to lift up the hood to check what brand the battery was.  Toyota sometime is overprice unless i find it cheaper somewhere else and then asked them to do price match or else walk away.  My husband think the battery that came manufactory with the car is a good one. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »
All her sisters in my demographic!

Hook it up SunmerBerry!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Sifu

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:37:58 PM »
Toyota Truestarts are Interstates from what I recall.  They're not bad for the money and the warranty helps.

Advertisements