Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the motivation that makes you stick to your job?  (Read 9700 times)

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
What is the motivation that makes you stick to your job?
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
I never lasted more than five years at one company. What are your reasons for staying? Do you really enjoy doing your job? Feeling unmotivated. :( For me, if the pay is lower than $17, the job doesn't really seem professional and stable. Of course, we gotta make a living too. Every time I see other better jobs, it makes me want to leave. Salaries tend to peak around age 40. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: What is the motivation that makes you stick to your job?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:31 PM »
No motivation really....it's more like I have bills and taxes so thus I work.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:47:15 PM »
Yeh, same here. It's just the bills, taxes, and plus I need to eat.  I really have zero motivation to work. If I can get unemployment now, I rather go for that. So tired of working... A good 1 or 2 year absence in the states would do me some good.

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »
No motivation really....it's more like I have bills and taxes so thus I work.

Exactly. Its a no brainer.

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:29:13 PM »
Yeh, same here. It's just the bills, taxes, and plus I need to eat.  I really have zero motivation to work. If I can get unemployment now, I rather go for that. So tired of working... A good 1 or 2 year absence in the states would do me some good.

That would be a good time to travel and explore the world.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
I never lasted more than five years at one company. What are your reasons for staying? Do you really enjoy doing your job? Feeling unmotivated. :( For me, if the pay is lower than $17, the job doesn't really seem professional and stable. Of course, we gotta make a living too. Every time I see other better jobs, it makes me want to leave. Salaries tend to peak around age 40.

When I'm at a cross road, I normally asked myself these questions:

1. Is the Job still rewarding? (I'm not talking about my salary/benefits either)

2. Do I still make difference in terms of positive contribution?

One of my job example,

When I was at the Post Office where many have made those jobs their life career, my job got boring so I left after 6 years...It was an easy job but just wasn't rewarding anymore...

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »

People's salary will not increase if they stay at the same job for long... you want to increase your salary, move around. At my last job (an international company), I was told that promotion is not happening unless a position open up (each mfg site has a certain # of employees at each skill level)... we get the raises but not the promotion, unless we move to another mfg site within the company or someone above leave the company. I got promoted because someone above me left the company and the position was vacant. I left the company in 2014 when a better job offer was available that moved me to a higher level and 20% increase in pay.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

zena

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »
When I worked outside the home, I loved it because I loved what I did.  I worked with people and money although I'm terrible at math, I always enjoy the jobs where I played with money, than any other jobs (i.e., medical).  The deadlines and meetings kept me on my toes.  What I didn't like was the pay.  I felt like I did too much for what I was being paid.  That was one of the main reasons why I resigned.  Of course, if I didn't enjoy what I was doing, the pay wouldn't matter no matter what.  I have been offered, a couple of times, positions with bigger pay but have turned them down because I either didn't want to put up with certain people (who were prejudice) or I didn't feel that company (boss) was being honest.

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
When I'm at a cross road, I normally asked myself these questions:

1. Is the Job still rewarding? (I'm not talking about my salary/benefits either)

2. Do I still make difference in terms of positive contribution?

One of my job example,

When I was at the Post Office where many have made those jobs their life career, my job got boring so I left after 6 years...It was an easy job but just wasn't rewarding anymore...

In terms of rewarding, No. It is not rewarding. If you have a bad manager and coworkers, it'll get worst. Positive contribution, just a little contribution but not much that affected the department.

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
When I worked outside the home, I loved it because I loved what I did.  I worked with people and money although I'm terrible at math, I always enjoy the jobs where I played with money, than any other jobs (i.e., medical).  The deadlines and meetings kept me on my toes.  What I didn't like was the pay.  I felt like I did too much for what I was being paid.  That was one of the main reasons why I resigned.  Of course, if I didn't enjoy what I was doing, the pay wouldn't matter no matter what.  I have been offered, a couple of times, positions with bigger pay but have turned them down because I either didn't want to put up with certain people (who were prejudice) or I didn't feel that company (boss) was being honest.

I agree. If the pay is also much too low for the amount of work you do, its not worth it. A lot of times, they will add on more responsibility and task without giving any increase pay or offer any rewards, promotions. 

yuknowthat

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
Never did I enjoy any of my jobs even though some were pretty laid back. I work so the bills and taxes will get off my back to do things I want to do. There is nothing rewarding work for others when I can spend more time to work for myself first.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
Never did I enjoy any of my jobs even though some were pretty laid back. I work so the bills and taxes will get off my back to do things I want to do. There is nothing rewarding work for others when I can spend more time to work for myself first.

lol Yeh, never enjoy any of my jobs even though it helps broaden my horizon. Working for yourself? How do you do that? I mean pay yourself-just where you get the money? hehe

lost_forever,
I like to travel the world but that's a luxury I can't afford. It's easy for others to just take $30k and disappear for a year or two. I just simply can't do that.

MSV

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
My motivations...

1. Buying a home
2. Making sure I have enough to provide for my future kids
3. Traveling
4. Spoiling my mom and family
5. Getting bills paid
6. Having money for shopping!!! :p

Like this post: +1

yuknowthat

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
lol Yeh, never enjoy any of my jobs even though it helps broaden my horizon. Working for yourself? How do you do that? I mean pay yourself-just where you get the money? hehe

lost_forever,
I like to travel the world but that's a luxury I can't afford. It's easy for others to just take $30k and disappear for a year or two. I just simply can't do that.
pay yourself with pure satisfaction of accomplishing things you always want to do in life is what I really look at it as working for myself, money is just a plus. I don't care much for money at all. If the things I want to do doesn't involve with this piece of paper called "money". Heck I wouldn't even work or should I say majority of us wouldn't be working.  ;D

some live to work, some work to live... which one are you?

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »
I work to live because I don't have a choice. If I can get SSI or welfare I go for that.lol You know, that's a confusing question to ask.

Advertisements