Advertisement

Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Build  (Read 4114 times)

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Arcade Cabinet Build
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
bought an original, double-dragon arcade cabinet with x-arcade dual joystick and raspberry pi. it's easier to buy an old cabinet than to build one.

took it apart to sand and primed.

a new fresh coat of paint.

upgrade to widescreen 24" lcd

i'm still configuring the raspberry pi to run retropie with all the classic game emulators. also, creating my own marquee, bezel and side art decals to put on. still a work in progress...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:23:09 AM by slude »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade Cabinet Build
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
Let me know how you like the Pi. I saw an article where the newest version comes with wifi capabilities.

Awesome btw. I've been wanting to build a counter top cabinet myself. If you wouldn't mind when you're done, please give me an estimate of your budget. I plan to do this as a hobby in the near future.

Thanks.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »
the new pi has built in wifi. i have the pi 2 with a wifi usb. you don't really need wifi for an arcade build, just ssh into the pi to download/upload as needed.

bought the cabinet from craigslist, it came with the x-arcade dual joystick and pi for $150. so def buy a used cabinet, also reused an old computer to save you money. the x-arcade joystick is selling online from $125-$150, that's if you want a pre-build joystick, otherwise you can buy buttons/joystick kit for less.

i got the marquee printed from a local sign shop. price for 24"x17" is $20-$30. i'm still working on the side art and bezel. i got a quote for one 136"x70" side art at $100/piece.

as you can see, it can get pretty expensive. not including time/labor. the hardest part is configuring the joystick. there are some great youtube vids for this step, but still requires a few hours of configuring.

i'm estimating the total cost would be $500-$700 to finish. you gain some appreciation for this kind of hobby and understand why arcade cabinets are sold for thousands of $$. it's a fun hobby, something i've always wanted to do.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:26:33 AM by slude »

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Nice!  Abobo suplex nice!

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:35:55 PM »
the new pi has built in wifi. i have the pi 2 with a wifi usb. you don't really need wifi for an arcade build, just ssh into the pi to download/upload as needed.

bought the cabinet from craigslist, it came with the x-arcade dual joystick and pi for $150. so def buy a used cabinet, also reused an old computer to save you money. the x-arcade joystick is selling online from $125-$150, that's if you want a pre-build joystick, otherwise you can buy buttons/joystick kit for less.

i got the marquee printed from a local sign shop. price for 24"x17" is $20-$30. i'm still working on the side art and bezel. i got a quote for one 136"x70" side art at $100/piece.

as you can see, it can get pretty expensive. not including time/labor. the hardest part is configuring the joystick. there are some great youtube vids for this step, but still requires a few hours of configuring.

i'm estimating the total cost would be $500-$700 to finish. you gain some appreciation for this kind of hobby and understand why arcade cabinets are sold for thousands of $$. it's a fun hobby, something i've always wanted to do.

Thanks for the info. There's just something about the older arcade cabinets. Can't remember how many quarters were chewed up playing Raiden and other shmups.

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
Arcade1Up is releasing a Marvel vs Capcom 2 cabinet for $600.  It comes with other games too.  I may buy one but it's small.  MvC2 is my all time favorite fighting game. 

Different 💩 same smell

Advertisements