Advertisement

Author Topic: Private or Public Sector  (Read 6187 times)

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Private or Public Sector
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
if you have the option to work for the state (public) or private sector, which one would you pick?

state job
competitive salary (very little, or no annual raises)
great benefits (pto)
pension
secured, steady job (new position, needed for growth/technology innovation)
smaller projects; less than $1 million project (state lead projects, meaning we are the client and contractors work for us)
good work culture/environment (flexible)
no travel

private corp of +2,000 employees with offices all over the u.s.
same salary as the state job (annual raises, bonuses based on merit)
average benefits (pto)
job security = this is a new position, the demand needed for future growth of company
big million dollar projects. communication/coordination with other contractors/clients across the country
some travel

it's a good dilemma to have, but it's a hard decision to make. just hoping for some thoughts/opinions or rational suggestions.

thanks in advance!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Private or Public Sector
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
if you have the option to work for the state (public) or private sector, which one would you pick?

state job
competitive salary (very little, or no annual raises)
great benefits (pto)
pension
secured, steady job (new position, needed for growth/technology innovation)
smaller projects; less than $1 million project (state lead projects, meaning we are the client and contractors work for us)
good work culture/environment (flexible)
no travel

private corp of +2,000 employees with offices all over the u.s.
same salary as the state job (annual raises, bonuses based on merit)
average benefits (pto)
job security = this is a new position, the demand needed for future growth of company
big million dollar projects. communication/coordination with other contractors/clients across the country
some travel

it's a good dilemma to have, but it's a hard decision to make. just hoping for some thoughts/opinions or rational suggestions.

thanks in advance!

Depends on the job position and with who exactly for me...

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
doing the same thing for both. the responsibiliti es are very similar; oversee technology innovation, helping to lead/coordinate, establish standards, train coworkers, implement ideas, and so some production work.

i know both hiring managers at the public and private sectors. i have worked with them before.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »
I would do private if I was young and public if old because private sectors probably have a faster pace when it comes to advancement/work loads and not a lot of the older generations are willing to go beyond their limits while the public position is more secure and paints out to be stable long term.

yuknowthat

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
they both have their own pros and cons.

for me.
I would stick with corporate jobs at a younger age(not married, no kids due to high demands comes with high expectations including traveling overnight) to make all the money I can and gain all the experience or skills. After that slowly transitioning to a state job in the long run where it's a steady and secure.

but at the end of day everybody is different. Some people work to live and some live to work.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
I would do private if I was young and public if old because private sectors probably have a faster pace when it comes to advancement/work loads and not a lot of the older generations are willing to go beyond their limits while the public position is more secure and paints out to be stable long term.

I concur.  O0

I know people who start off in the private sector when younger, they want to advance their career and make money.  Then when they're older, they move to the public sector since they want a slower/leisure pace in order to spend more time with family or to do more recreational things.  They're already financially secure/stable so they're not concerned about money anymore.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:49:02 AM by tRouBLe »

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Online theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
doing the same thing for both. the responsibiliti es are very similar; oversee technology innovation, helping to lead/coordinate, establish standards, train coworkers, implement ideas, and so some production work.

i know both hiring managers at the public and private sectors. i have worked with them before.

When I worked for the USPS back in the 90s, our main competitors at the time were UPS and FedEx. Some jobs were "very similar" among all three but if I can start over and can work for any of those companies doing a very similar job, my choice would be:

UPS>USPS>FedEx ...in terms of employers in different sector...

I would need to know who the exact company is and which exact job title is available in order to form an educated opinion...

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »
i've put in 15 years of services with the private sectors, from mid-sized corp to a start-up company of 10 people. they say work for the big corp to learn 'process' and work for the small comp to learn how to do everything all at once. not that i can't learn new things, but i've learned and gained enough experience already to do what i want to do...

the easiest way to make the hardest decision is to flip a coin. the moment the coin is in the air, that's when you've made your decision.

Online theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
i've put in 15 years of services with the private sectors, from mid-sized corp to a start-up company of 10 people. they say work for the big corp to learn 'process' and work for the small comp to learn how to do everything all at once. not that i can't learn new things, but i've learned and gained enough experience already to do what i want to do...

the easiest way to make the hardest decision is to flip a coin. the moment the coin is in the air, that's when you've made your decision.

Yep, if all things are equal, sometimes that's the best way to go about it...Good luck with your choice!

Offline Drift1Leeg

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »
if you are result driven take the private sector job
if you are a status quo..individua l and do not care much about the outcome of your project then take public sector job.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »
my biggest concern is the little or no raise in the public sector. i will start out with the same salary in both sectors, but 5 years in the public sector my salary will stay close to the same whereas in the private i could be making more.

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »
decided to take the state job, tho it's $12k less than the private. in the end it came down to pension vs high salary. having dealt with corporate for 15 years, i had enough of the fast paced schedules, client/contractor headaches. public is slow but the work culture fits my current needs and family schedule.

thanks all.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »
In my situation, I rather pick high salaries(private sect) now and retired to third world country. No matter how hard one works, one can never be a free slave in this country.lol

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:40:14 PM by nightrider »

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
In my situation, I rather pick high salaries(private sect) now and retired to third world country. No matter how hard one works, one can never be a free slave in this country.lol

single and under 30, i would go with the private sector. more opportunities. save and invest my money wisely. unfortunately i'm not single and under 30, and i have other goals. the public sector is slow and will allow me to focus on my goals.

jack ma, founder of alibaba has some great tips:

age 20
-be a good student, learn and get some experience.
-it's okay to make mistakes, don’t worry. you fall and get back up again.
-study about entrepreneur.

age 30
-follow somebody, have a role model.
-work for a company. big company is about process; you are part of a machine. small company teaches passion. it teaches dreams. you learn to do a lot of things all at once.
-it’s not which company you go, it’s which boss you follow.

age 40
-work for yourself, focus and do all the things you are good at.
-don’t try to start a new career, it’s too late. you may be successful but the rate of failure is high
-enjoy what you do.

age 50
-work for the young people because young people can do better than you.
-rely on them, invest in them and make sure they are good at what they do.

age 60
-spend time to yourself.
-enjoy the rest of your life on a beach.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »
Jack Ma has good points, unfortunately, for some people like us, we can not afford to go down to get back up. Going down is hard, hard to get back up where you left up, besides that you neither have the time to make for your losses. One thing in life one should learn is that being positive can get you big rewards but it can also be one's own downfall, double edge sword...

Advertisements