Advertisement

Author Topic: How do you get started in making Beats? ... rapping?  (Read 2258 times)

r3b1rth

How do you get started in making Beats? ... rapping?
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
I have been intrigued with music so much. I watched the show "Show me the Money 4" and it makes me want to rap. I like all fun and creative things. They say you like things because you vibe with it. I'm really into this kind of stuff. :D It's not for show, it's really just for me, like writing poems or books or whatever.

I just want to make beats and rap but I don't know where to start. I don't even know what a bar is or a verse is. Just heard of it. How many beats per minute, what is that suppose to mean? Do they mean drum beats?

And if I rap, where do I find the inspiration? Where can I find the "good stuff"?

I like Tupac a lot but I only listen to one song, "Hit em up". It takes me back to the gangsta rap days. I feel like I get stifled with words and I'm not good when people diss me. My comebacks are lame. Like "your mom!" Lol.

I have fruity loops but it's so confusing to use. Do you come up with the beat first? Or do you come up with the lyrics first? Do you come up with the lyrics while listening to the beat? How do you flow with the beat? When do you start, end, etc? How do you freestyle? Do you find people to battle and just keep doing it? I'm so interested.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get started in making Beats? ... rapping?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
The old old free fruity loop and there was another program I use to use...they were easy!

Inspiration?  If you want something people will listen too you have to rap about something they can relate too.  Things in your life, your hmong life, every hmong can relate to it.  Work people can relate, struggling with money...etc etc.  Pretty much whatever hardship in your life people can relate too so that's what I'd rap about.

Beats?  If all them people on YouTube can mix and match sounds together I'm sure you can do it.  Just loop it and make it catchey and you got a hit!

My all time freestyle battle lyric "it's all right, I'll go first, it'll give you 30 seconds to rehearse your verse" the crowd was like "ohhhhhhhhhhhh" but after that it was all weak stuff coming out from me.

I said that on the fly becuase the dude didn't want to go first, and then the MC was like this going to go first?!?  It was kinda like a bit drawn out!  The dude was like "he can go first, he can go first..." So I was like I'll go first and hit him with that.

The second dude always have the advantage. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:55:29 PM by thePoster »

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

r3b1rth

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 01:13:32 PM »
Really? Maybe I don't know how to make a proper beat... we have so much in common thePoster. How cool.

I don't really care about appealing it to people as much as trying to make it solid but it would be good that other people can relate to if they hear it. Isn't there a formula for making things sound catchy? I heard somewhere... someone saying that before.

That was some good lyric you spat out there. Do you write a lot of your lyrics before hand? Even if you freestyle? How can you possibly even think of stuff on the fly... that rhyme unless you made the connection before?

r3b1rth

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 02:49:47 PM »
Lol... he's just going to make like Aliyah dust himself off and try again. Fcking Eminem offff course. Same voice too huh?

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
Cool edit!  That's what it was I believe. 

Anyways...yes it is hard to rap on the fly if you're in a battle.

I don't like these new battles, people are researching and stuff...and they prepare and stuff...that's not freestyle in my opinion.

You have to be witty and able to make fun of a person!  Like be mean and good at cracking jokes.

And good at using puns and wordplay.

When I was done with my little battle I was like "man, I could've said so much more!". Oh wells.

Plus, if you're going with the vanilla ice jokes on a white kid?  I'd just lose respect for that person because that's so old if you roast them like that.  I think that's a cheezey corny battle if a person goes that route.

Plus!  I would never roast myself like that campus kid did. 

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpSOWfFtKJE

Proof you can make music outta anything...

It actually sounds good!

The delivery on "the building is on fire" is perfect!

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
A bar is the length of time in a song. A verse typically has 16 bars. A chorus has 16 bars.

To count the bars, you start counting 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi, 4 mississippi.

The 1st mississippi is consider 1 beat.

The 2nd mississippi is 2nd beat.

3rd mississippi is 3rd beat.

4th mississippi is 4th beat.

After you count them all, that's equal to 1 measure. Then you start counting them all over again.

4 beats = 1 measure.

1 measure is like 1 bar. 

So, 16 bars would have 64 beats.

This is 30 second long in a song.

Alot of radio song are usually around 3 minutes and 30 seconds long.

That's about 114 bars.

Just think of heart beats per minute.

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 04:52:09 PM »
In trance music you have a typical drum pattern that goes something like this:

Beat - |1---2---3---4---|
Kick -  |X---X---X---X---|

Notice the kick hit on every beat?

And we already established that....

1 Bar =
1---2---3---4--- 

With me so far?

Now let's look at how we bring in the bass. The simplest is the "offbass" pattern which look something like this:

Bass - |--X---X---X---X|

This is how it will sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgs9QUtWc3M

Another common bass pattern is this:

Bass   |-xXx-xXx-xXx-xXx|

The lower x is the lower octave note and the big X is higher octave note.

If x is A, then X is also A but it is play a bit higher. That's all to it.

This is how it sound like with this pattern. Notice the bass is very driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQqAWHcq81Q

Advertisements