Advertisement

Author Topic: So seriously, how are we building wealth in our communities?  (Read 13780 times)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
White have corporations, Jews own banking, financing and media, Indians have IT and engineering, Chinese have medical.

What fields should we have the Hmong get into in order to secure our place in this country? We can't rely on manufacturing. It isn't what it used to be. We need something that isn't in the public sector. We don't want to become like Blacks and Latinos who are so scared of losing entitlements because they need their people to stay poor in order to keep their job positions.

I've noticed a pattern when it comes to groups that achieve success in this country. They become masters in a certain industry and hold onto those positions. They become a real asset to America because of it.

There must be something that our people are masters of and do the best. Something that will be a real asset to America.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: So seriously, how are we building wealth in our communities?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
We are not that many yet to have the few to think that far yet.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »
ZDN,

The first thing that came to mind when marijuana was legalized was "this is FANTASTIC for the Hmong!"

Think of how this could build wealth for our communities. Think of how how many unemployed elders can start making serious money.

Our parents didn't have education. They had to work for very low wage jobs. Because of this they could not pass on wealth. This hurt people like us. We were always having to play catch up. Some of us struggle everyday because we are having to provide for ourselves while taking care of aging parents.

However, marijuana could change all of this.

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »
The problem with medical MJ grow ops are the legal ramifications.  You're going to be under a microscope for everything you do and how you do it.  Secondly, if MJ is somehow legalized the cash cow is going to be dried when competition hits or there is over saturation of said goods and services.  I mean if I could grow my own I just grow enough for myself. If grand mom can grow it herself and sell it then there's little reason to get into it. 

High risks, high rewards.  Not worth the risks for me but the demand is obviously there for now.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
The problem with medical MJ grow ops are the legal ramifications.  You're going to be under a microscope for everything you do and how you do it.  Secondly, if MJ is somehow legalized the cash cow is going to be dried when competition hits or there is over saturation of said goods and services.  I mean if I could grow my own I just grow enough for myself. If grand mom can grow it herself and sell it then there's little reason to get into it. 

High risks, high rewards.  Not worth the risks for me but the demand is obviously there for now.

I have yet to immerse myself in this industry but I have heard that there are strict limits to how much a person can grow. I'm not worried about competition when it comes to growing MJ. The Hmong are highly knowledgable in the arena of growing these kind of plants. However, it's the business side that concerns me. We need people who are savvy, great salespeople, and good dealmakers.

We really need to redirect our people and set them up for the future. There can only be so many mom and pop grocery stores, insurance offices, home healthcare, etc. I would like to see more Hmong entrepreneurs even at the level where it doesn't take a 4-year college degree.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:44:16 AM »
Ask yourself.  If you can't do it, don't put the burden on others.

Like this post: +1

r3b1rth

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:16 AM »
We all talk to much "community" and don't take action. Question is... what part are you doing? Is that your dream... to build wealth in the community? Are you giving back in some way/shape/form?

Lol... I pretty much feel the same as duckwingduck.

Worry about yourself... if that is so much as your goal, you should be thinking about how you can contribute to the community, I don't know why so many people have this grandiose ideas about building up the community in a short amount of time. This isn't a game. It's real life... so many factors... you can only worry about yourself.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »
BNE,
You're mistaken about Blacks & Latino; They're hypothetically in control of the Arm Forces.

How bout ship building? Hmong can't even rise to the challenge how can Hmong people become an asset? Even now, I found so many Hmong people shopping at other stores far more than supporting their Hmong owned stores. So how can wealth be spread? It's just so fuk up. If people look at Viets, they support their own businesses, they never go to a Hmong store or a Chinese store. They keep their money flowing in their own community, why we just don't f'en care.

Sifu

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
I'll bite for Nightrider's post.

Let's use restaurants as an example.  The way I see it as a consumer is if they do not serve what I like to eat or the facility isn't clean then I'm going to spend money elsewhere.  There are so many shanty restaurants that are dirty, poor food prep, poor customer support, etc that Id rather eat elsewhere.  Does that mean Ill go to the cleaner restaurant?  In terms of food; absolutely. 

If you apply it to smaller cornerstone mom and pop stores they'll have what I need EXCEPT that one ingredient.  Sometimes that means I have to go to the shady, fish smelling Viet store.

If we want Hmong people to build ANYTHING within strict specifications then education is the only answer.  How do you expect Hmong to build ships, cars, appliances if they don't understand why you have to follow guidelines and the reasoning for that?  You could tell them to pull this lever, push that button and anyone can do that.  To innovate further requires some more work. 

I'm not even suggesting that it can't be done.  We are very resilient people and we just need to find a market.

In terms of farming, Hmong elders understand this better than myself so I can see how a grow op is a more viable solution; albeit with super strict regulations and what not.  The problem is one person opens a grow op, another Hmong person will open one. 

Things are improving and I agree it is difficult to see hard working people suffer but that's competition and convenience.  If you can't adjust that then there's not much you can do.  I for one will try to support local businesses but I'm a consumer who wants my product.

Phab Ej Dao Vue

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
Ask yourself.  If you can't do it, don't put the burden on others.

X2

We all talk to much "community" and don't take action. Question is... what part are you doing? Is that your dream... to build wealth in the community? Are you giving back in some way/shape/form?

Lol... I pretty much feel the same as duckwingduck.

Worry about yourself... if that is so much as your goal, you should be thinking about how you can contribute to the community, I don't know why so many people have this grandiose ideas about building up the community in a short amount of time. This isn't a game. It's real life... so many factors... you can only worry about yourself.

I concur.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »
I'll bite for Nightrider's post.

Let's use restaurants as an example.  The way I see it as a consumer is if they do not serve what I like to eat or the facility isn't clean then I'm going to spend money elsewhere.  There are so many shanty restaurants that are dirty, poor food prep, poor customer support, etc that Id rather eat elsewhere.  Does that mean Ill go to the cleaner restaurant?  In terms of food; absolutely. 

If you apply it to smaller cornerstone mom and pop stores they'll have what I need EXCEPT that one ingredient.  Sometimes that means I have to go to the shady, fish smelling Viet store.

If we want Hmong people to build ANYTHING within strict specifications then education is the only answer.  How do you expect Hmong to build ships, cars, appliances if they don't understand why you have to follow guidelines and the reasoning for that?  You could tell them to pull this lever, push that button and anyone can do that.  To innovate further requires some more work. 

I'm not even suggesting that it can't be done.  We are very resilient people and we just need to find a market.

In terms of farming, Hmong elders understand this better than myself so I can see how a grow op is a more viable solution; albeit with super strict regulations and what not.  The problem is one person opens a grow op, another Hmong person will open one. 

Things are improving and I agree it is difficult to see hard working people suffer but that's competition and convenience.  If you can't adjust that then there's not much you can do.  I for one will try to support local businesses but I'm a consumer who wants my product.

I agree with everything what you just said but what I don't understand is why Viets don't share our thoughts? They absolute support their community 100% whether their mom & pop stores is good or bad, have it or not have what they need. This is something I'm envious of them, even though they may have loss their country, they're all extremely cooperative with each other. Unlike us "mongolians".

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »
I have serious cash to burn and am willing to invest in serious, passionate Hmong entrepreneurs. I am not necessarily looking to run the business but am willing to invest in those who are innovative and willing to work hard.

I am even willing to partner up with other serious investors - that is if there are any.

Some of you are simply thinking too small and fail to see the big picture.

I am willing to start profitable businesses and hire Hmong to manage them.

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
You're gonna need more than 9 cents to invest.  Two nickels is already too much for you.   :2funny:

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 01:19:42 AM »
investing in Hmong communities generally equals how much can you conn out of your dumb Hmong brother.  Look at all those herbal med stands.  Right now, someone is selling a cure for cancer or a can of shampoo that can regrow hair.  Someone else is selling an MLM or a new pyrmid scam. They rip off Hmong people because Hmongs are so ignorant.  Go get an education first, then you can prevent yourself from monetary lost and start to grow wealth.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 03:39:47 AM »
Hmongs are already good at throwing parties.  Like 20 events for new years? No other nation can top that. 

It was once universally known that Thursday night is azn night but at hmong central, its hmong night out.  I didn't live for the weekend.  I lived for thursday.  Oh the blur memories. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements