Advertisement

Author Topic: Stupid Interns  (Read 13156 times)

bulbasaur

Stupid Interns
« on: July 19, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
If you want an internship, or you are in an internship, then don't do anything stupid.  You are not going to change the establishment (not yet anyways).  Learn the industry.  Make networks. 

Here is an article of interns being stupid.  It is kinda long, but it proves the point.  The dumbest part is the fact that these interns actually think they did no wrong. 

I was able to get a summer internship at a company that does work in the industry I want to work in after I graduate. Even though the division I was hired to work in doesn’t deal with clients or customers, there still was a very strict dress code. I felt the dress code was overly strict but I wasn’t going to say anything, until I noticed one of the workers always wore flat shoes that were made from a fabric other than leather, or running shoes, even though both of these things were contrary to the dress code.

I spoke with my manager about being allowed some leeway under the dress code and was told this was not possible, despite the other person being allowed to do it. I soon found out that many of the other interns felt the same way, and the ones who asked their managers about it were told the same thing as me. We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

The next day, all of us who signed the petition were called into a meeting where we thought our proposal would be discussed. Instead, we were informed that due to our “unprofessional” behavior, we were being let go from our internships. We were told to hand in our ID badges and to gather our things and leave the property ASAP.
We were shocked. The proposal was written professionally like examples I have learned about in school, and our arguments were thought out and well-reasoned. We weren’t even given a chance to discuss it. The worst part is that just before the meeting ended, one of the managers told us that the worker who was allowed to disobey the dress code was a former soldier who lost her leg and was therefore given permission to wear whatever kind of shoes she could walk in. You can’t even tell, and if we had known about this we would have factored it into our argument.

I have never had a job before (I’ve always focused on school) and I was hoping to gain some experience before I graduate next year. I feel my dismissal was unfair and would like to ask them to reconsider but I’m not sure the best way to go about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Stupid Interns
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:53:13 AM »
This sad part is that this person wants his/her internship back.  Sorry, that is just not going to happen (unless extreme generosity or graveling is involved).  You were the ring leader.  If they were going to let anyone back, it would be the interns who signed along.  You are just going to have to chalk this to an education in life. 

I actually feel bad for this person.  I never like to see a younger person struggle.  He/she might be a nice person.  Heck, he/she might even be a bright person in the field.  But, sometimes you don't get a second chance to fix a mistake.  You can lessons the easy way or the hard way.  This was the hard way.  But then again, maybe no lesson was even learned.  The person still thinks he/she was treated unfairly.  Oh well...

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »
Halarious....

Folks this is how the real real world works.

The funnie thing is, he still don't think he was wrong.

I don't understand how people think like this.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:58:29 AM »
It is these new kids growing up.  You get fired in fast food if you are late.  Why would it be any different for a corporate job?  Kids today don't seem to know how the world works, and they think it is never their fault.

Halarious....

Folks this is how the real real world works.

The funnie thing is, he still don't think he was wrong.

I don't understand how people think like this.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 12:59:31 AM »
So basically, the industry Said to them...

"Who the f.uck are you?  You're going to come in here and make demands?  Do you own this industry?  Are you the boss?  You're going to tell us how to conduct business?  Get the fuc.k outta here!"

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 01:01:02 AM »
It is these new kids growing up.  You get fired in fast food if you are late.  Why would it be any different for a corporate job?  Kids today don't seem to know how the world works, and they think it is never their fault.

Thats exactly what's wrong with kids and even people who aren't kids but only can see things Thier own way.

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 01:21:21 AM »
This happens all the time.  These new kids don't get it.  At least get some experience under your belt before you start trying to make demands.  They come in with zero experience, then they try to make demands?  Some of these new kids can't even do their job correctly, but they want to make demands and run the company.  WTF?  Learn your damn job before you want to try to run the whole company.  Or in the story's case, worry about your job instead of other people's shoes. 

So basically, the industry Said to them...

"Who the f.uck are you?  You're going to come in here and make demands?  Do you own this industry?  Are you the boss?  You're going to tell us how to conduct business?  Get the fuc.k outta here!"

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
if shoes and dress code are your worries at work, you deserve the boot. there are more important things.

Like this post: +1

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »
Pretty petty on the intern's side. Footwear, of all things. Live and learn.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »
i wouldn't consider the intern(s) stupid.  what was presented was the best of intentions and benefits of the majority.  the dress code and environment are not uniformed (where everyone have to dress the same).  they presented a petition with a majority support, the very least the employer could have done was take it into consideration, being that they don't provide the shoes or clothes the interns wear. secondly, the proposal would have promoted comfort and higher production. 

Letting the interns go was poor judgement on the employer, as good ideas often comes from those who think outside of the box...then again, maybe they should wait until they get sue from a slip and fall, to make changes.

an employer who does not accept change is like a stepping stone (literally)...it doesn't grow and those that steps on them, continues to step higher not wanting to come back.

I don't mean to be mean but...

I don't think you get it either.

That's like... it's like this.. a stranger comes into your house and starts making demands.  Sits on your couch, flips on your t.v. props his feet on your table.  Goes through your fridge...

It's like that..

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »
No. Others here have already stated why.  And if you were one of the interns, you would have been fired as well. 

BTW, some of the stuff you said in your argument doesn't make sense.  I would break it down, but I get the feeling it wouldn't matter. 

i wouldn't consider the intern(s) stupid.  what was presented was the best of intentions and benefits of the majority.  the dress code and environment are not uniformed (where everyone have to dress the same).  they presented a petition with a majority support, the very least the employer could have done was take it into consideration, being that they don't provide the shoes or clothes the interns wear. secondly, the proposal would have promoted comfort and higher production. 

Letting the interns go was poor judgement on the employer, as good ideas often comes from those who think outside of the box...then again, maybe they should wait until they get sue from a slip and fall, to make changes.

an employer who does not accept change is like a stepping stone (literally)...it doesn't grow and those that steps on them, continues to step higher not wanting to come back.

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
I agree with you on this.  Some people don't get it.  They have to learn the hard way. 

I don't mean to be mean but...

I don't think you get it either.

That's like... it's like this.. a stranger comes into your house and starts making demands.  Sits on your couch, flips on your t.v. props his feet on your table.  Goes through your fridge...

It's like that..

nou

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »
This person sounds arrogant.  His/her writing doesn't sound professional at all.  It sounds more like complaints.  Good luck to that person when they apply for a real job and get an interview.  "Why did you get let go from your previous internship?".  He/she should answer that first.

Like this post: +1

dust

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »

It's clear you either didn't read the article carefully or feel interns should be able to dictate how a company runs.

The interns were not requesting the dress code change for both employees and interns. They were requesting a privilege for themselves because they assumed that the single person who wore different shoes was allowed a special privilege (and not for medical reasons). The real question here is whether or not the interns would have written the petition if everyone followed the same dress code. Chances are, probably not since it is implied they thought it was unfair the one person was allowed to wear different shoes from the dress code.

These are not employees of the company, but they are potential employees. The key word being potential. A company will likely hire the best talent from the interns. However, if interns are making demands before then, this raises a red flag. The fact that you don't understand that the employer sees the interns as more trouble than they are worth is strange to say the least. What's more, there are plenty more people who would gladly replace the interns fired. At the end of the article, the person writing the story (one of the interns), still can't comprehend why they were let go. They still think there was nothing wrong with asking and even go so far as to say that if they had known the employee who wore different shoes from the dress code had a medical condition, they would have factored it into their petition.  :idiot2:

Instead of worrying about the dress code, perhaps they should have been doing what they were there for- learning. I guess the interns did learn two things. The workplace is not a democracy, and everyone follows the dress code unless you have a medical condition.  ;D

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »

The interns were just a bit ahead of themselves.  They should have realize the type of company they worked in and the strictness that is enforced there.

That said, I wouldn't have fired the interns.  Money and time is spend in hiring and training them, and I would simply thank them for their efforts but policies were put in place for a reason.

I wouldn't want to work for a company as petty as the one that fired them.  I use to work at one like that and I'm glad I'm not there anymore.  I can see why the up and coming talent are heading towards companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc and the oldies are fading away.

Advertisements