Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting ideas for kitchen update  (Read 19744 times)

zena

Getting ideas for kitchen update
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »
We're going to be updating our kitchen to granite tops and a backsplash.  It's so exciting!

Here's some ideas we have in place:

Colors of granite for counter tops, island, and bill nook.  We're not getting all three.  These are just the three choices of granite we are looking at.

Back splash.  Husband likes the actual stones but I prefer the glass tiles.

We're also replacing the sink.  I like stainless steel but husband likes the dark ceramic style (I think) sinks.  No photos yet.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:44:00 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

peas_n_queues

Re: Getting ideas for kitchen update
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
I like with the middle granite.  I'm not sure I like the stone just because cleaning it would be more difficult.

zena

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »
I like with the middle granite.  I'm not sure I like the stone just because cleaning it would be more difficult.

Haven't seen you here for awhile, peas.  Hope all is well with you.

The middle one is my preferred too; although, I do also like the far right 'cause it carries out the natural color of the hickory floor.  The downside it is that it's the most pricy-est of the 3.  The middle one matches our cabinets and does have some warm browns in it too.  As for the back splash stone, we'd put a sealant on it, but I'm sure it would still be difficult to clean.  My youngest daughter said the stones would make the kitchen feel cold and she's right.  I couldn't believe she noticed that.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:24:48 PM »
With the floor, I like the far right granite.

I'd like a little more pop and contrast with the backsplash if I were going with the light colored granite.  Lowes and Homedeopot don't have much in the stylish dept. Take a look here: http://www.medicimosaics.com/Products.aspx  O0

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
One more thing…

If you don't already have it, under cabinet (task) lighting would be great to add at this time. You go the simple LED strips that plug into a wall socket or have an electrician wire them to a switch. The new backsplash will cover all the holes cut by the electrician.   O0

zena

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »
With the floor, I like the far right granite.

I'd like a little more pop and contrast with the backsplash if I were going with the light colored granite.  Lowes and Homedeopot don't have much in the stylish dept. Take a look here: http://www.medicimosaics.com/Products.aspx  O0

We kind of want a busier granite top and less busy back splash.  I love Lowes and Home Depot!! They have just enough to not get me so dizzy.  I checked out your link but it's under construction.

One more thing…

If you don't already have it, under cabinet (task) lighting would be great to add at this time. You go the simple LED strips that plug into a wall socket or have an electrician wire them to a switch. The new backsplash will cover all the holes cut by the electrician.   O0

That would be a great idea.  We thought about it years ago when we had planned for remodeling but decided not to go with it because for one, we have a lot of light in our kitchen, and two, we didn't budget for it.  We are also on the fence about it as something that may or may not be in style in the long run.

zena

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
We went to an actual stone warehouse to look and I just found it extremely overwhelming.  I took quite a few photos but only showing a few since quite a few of the ones we like look very similar.  There were so many choices that I just got depressed.  I don't like having too many choices because then I can't choose and then things will simply drag on and we'll never get it done.

We also dropped by Lowe's and Home Depot again to get better estimates.  Lowe's people were not there so we didn't spend much time there.  Below is a show piece at Home Depot.  This is similar to our kitchen color except our cabinets are not black.  It's just very dark brown, expresso, is what it's called.  This is the look we are sort of going for. 

Another photo of the same show piece.  The first one looked warm but for some reason this angel makes it look a bit colder.  Still love it, just strange how lighting can change things.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:15:40 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 09:56:56 PM »
So we are going with Home Depot. They had a 10% discount this weekend and we're for all kinds of discounts we could get to save $$.  We are going to do the back splash ourselves.  Husband used to tile so he knows how to do it. 

Just something I should mention, when we went looking at the actual granite, we had a fabricator in mind that we wanted to go with.  They were the original people who put our current counter tops in.  Anyway, they were a bit rude when we went to see if we can set an appointment or just get some info or maybe even look at their showroom for ideas but they didn't seem like they wanted to help us.  There was two other granite places we were planning to visit too but like I mentioned, it's just too overwhelming so the one place was enough.  We were given a list of fabricators from the granite place but the list was 2 pages long and we'd have to research and review them before we choose, which would be way too much work, and way too overwhelming.  I don't know how others do it.

Going to Lowe's and Home Depot is less crazy and it's nice to be able to just talk to someone to get general ideas and then be able to go home, think on it, and return for more info.  The really nice thing about the Home Depot we went to is that the lady who helped us was also doing her kitchen (a second kitchen in her basement) and was very informative and helpful.  It's nice to know that she also goes through the same process so we trust her.  I also liked the Lowe's person and we would have gone with them but they didn't have any specials.

zena

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
The sink husband likes is called a granite composite which is very heavy and sturdy.  We are looking at something like this but not this exact one 'cause I don't like the shape of it.  The one we like is actually a bit more expensive.  Honestly, I'm fine with a stainless steel but husband is the picky one.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
Look into Blanco. They make composite sinks. I bought a black one from overstock, I believe. I gave it  to give it to the granite fabricator so they could cut the correct hole and mount it  I assume if you buy everything from Homedeopot, they will take care of that.

One thing to note, the new sink was quite deeper and we wanted to add a disposal, which we did not have previously. That meant I had to hire a plumber to lower the drain on the wall pipe and take care of all the under sink piping,  in order to make everything work.

zena

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
Look into Blanco. They make composite sinks. I bought a black one from overstock, I believe. I gave it  to give it to the granite fabricator so they could cut the correct hole and mount it  I assume if you buy everything from Homedeopot, they will take care of that.

One thing to note, the new sink was quite deeper and we wanted to add a disposal, which we did not have previously. That meant I had to hire a plumber to lower the drain on the wall pipe and take care of all the under sink piping,  in order to make everything work.

Blanco has a good selection and they carry a similar one to the one we like, which is at Lowe's.  We looked and touched it and I'm the kind that I have to touch and knock on it and think it over before I buy so I can't buy online.  The process of putting in the granite tops include removing and putting back the sink, cutting the holes for the sink, and plumbing; therefore, we don't have to have it done separately.  The only thing we have to do is our gas stove because it is a drop-in range.  The granite guys will have to cut around it so we can put the range back in (which costs extra for them to do, btw) and rehook the gas line.  They charge extra to have the gas guy come out but husband can handle that.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »
My black composite blanco sink was much deeper than the versions at the big box stores, and the granite company we used only did the removal of the existing counter and installation of new counter. No plumbing.

In our new house, the composite sinks are unfortunately standard depth.  :'(  They're already under mounted in the Cambria countertops so go changing out for a while… :-\

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
Our small island has the same dark slate you have pictured above.  O0

zena

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »
My black composite blanco sink was much deeper than the versions at the big box stores, and the granite company we used only did the removal of the existing counter and installation of new counter. No plumbing.

In our new house, the composite sinks are unfortunately standard depth.  :'(  They're already under mounted in the Cambria countertops so go changing out for a while… :-\

Why is it unfortunate? I actually prefer the standard depth.  I've used the deeper ones (not composite, just deep stainless steel) and I don't like them as much.  Too deep for me and I'm pretty short.  Ours will be an under mount so it will be a bit lower than it is now but that's just the way of under mounts, thus the plumber guy will need to hook up everything due to this change.  Husband will be removing and disposing our old counters himself since they do charge extra to remove and dispose too.

Our small island has the same dark slate you have pictured above.  O0

Glad you like the dark granite.  Next week we're going to pick out our granite slabs so we'll see how it goes.  I'm hoping they'll have the warmer color instead of the colder one.  It seems to match more and will make the kitchen more cozy.

zena

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Btw, we purchased our sink.  It's just waiting to be put in now.

Advertisements