Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting ideas for kitchen update  (Read 19740 times)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Sr. Poster
  • Handsome Man's Club Applicant
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ideas for kitchen update
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Deeper sink helps when washing larger bowls and pots and keeps the splashing to a minimum.  O0

My wife is average Hmong girl height so she recently said she prefers to wash dishes in the island veggie sink because that counter is lower than the double sink one.   ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
Deeper sink helps when washing larger bowls and pots and keeps the splashing to a minimum.  O0

My wife is average Hmong girl height so she recently said she prefers to wash dishes in the island veggie sink because that counter is lower than the double sink one.   ;D

Interesting.  I find it splashes more the deeper it is.  I used to work at a donut shop when I was much younger and had to do some washing and always got splashed 'cause those sinks are very deep.  I also did the dishes at a friends house who had a deep sink and it also got splashed quite a lot.  I think the distance from the faucet to the bottom of the sink causes this weird splash that I don't do well with.  I'm glad you and your wife like it and that it works for you.  I know it's very popular in this day and age and everyone wants one but I'm just different I guess.  I normally don't do what everyone else does.

zena

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
Yesterday, went to look at the granite we picked out.  It's the one on the right in the photo.  But once we saw the full size, we didn't like how tight the design was or the grayish color so we decided to go with the one on the left which is the one we saw at Home Depot (photo in previous page) in the setup with the black cabinets.  Again, I got overwhelmed but I'm glad we stuck to our guns and stayed within the designs we originally liked.  The guy who helped us said people have gone back and forth after they've decided on a design, even for weeks!  I'm not like those people and I can't stand going back and forth.  I just want this done!  ;D

zena

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »
Last week the guy came and measured our counter tops and kitchen island.  Next step: putting in the granite.  Set to happen within a couple of weeks.  I'm excited but I'm nervous at the same time.  My fear is if they drop the granite on our hickory floors.  This happened to one of our neighbors.  Of course they paid for the damages but that just means more time.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
They all look durable and beautiful. With so many choices to choose from it can be hard to decide on what you want. Just curious, for those of you whom are remodeling - are you all looking to sell or just looking to add more taxes to your property? Sometimes I don't get people and their logics especially when there's no immediate or short term benefits but just the feel good feelings of a nice make over and more taxes.

zena

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »
They all look durable and beautiful. With so many choices to choose from it can be hard to decide on what you want. Just curious, for those of you whom are remodeling - are you all looking to sell or just looking to add more taxes to your property? Sometimes I don't get people and their logics especially when there's no immediate or short term benefits but just the feel good feelings of a nice make over and more taxes.

We are remodeling for many reasons but I'm not sure about the taxes you are referring to.  I'm not sure anyone will know we upgraded our kitchen enough to want to tax us on it or receive tax?  I'm not familiar with this.  We had always wanted granite but we didn't want to lump it with our mortgage when it was built and we couldn't afford to do granite when we purchased.  Buying the house was already costly so we thought we'd wait and it just took longer than we had expected because other things happened, like the kids school (and every cost associated including daughter's trip to DC/NY) and activities (both the kids dance so that's costly).  We had to save up.  But, this makes it all the more exciting to be able to finally afford it and to really enjoy it.

zena

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »
Update:  This remodel was supposed to take only 3 to 4 weeks.  We are coming upon 2 months now and just finally getting it rolling.

Husband removed the side counter and the bill nook counter.  It was a bit heavy so I helped with the side counter.  He did the bill nook by himself.  The island slab is just sitting there with nothing holding it on.  Husband will remove it (with my help again) when he gets home tonight.  The granite guys will come tomorrow to put in the new counter tops.  For now, this is what it looks like.  We worked on it late at night so the lighting wasn't the best with the phone camera.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
We are remodeling for many reasons but I'm not sure about the taxes you are referring to.  I'm not sure anyone will know we upgraded our kitchen enough to want to tax us on it or receive tax?  I'm not familiar with this.  We had always wanted granite but we didn't want to lump it with our mortgage when it was built and we couldn't afford to do granite when we purchased.  Buying the house was already costly so we thought we'd wait and it just took longer than we had expected because other things happened, like the kids school (and every cost associated including daughter's trip to DC/NY) and activities (both the kids dance so that's costly).  We had to save up.  But, this makes it all the more exciting to be able to finally afford it and to really enjoy it.

No. Things you do yourself in the house that isn't done by a contractor or you did not get a permit from the city won't affect your tax. But then again when you do sale the property, you do pay capital gains tax(maybe what they miss is factor into this tax). My coworker just finished up remodeling his house,  he didn't see any new tax assessments, but his wife putting out some plants to decorate the house sure get the cities attention.lol Tax goes up for them. Pretty much everything you do to bring the value to your property, you do need to pay tax for it.

zena

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
So I don't know why you mentioned taxes on our updating our kitchen. We didn't have to get a permit for it.  When we put in our fence and backyard landscaping we had to get permits for those but not the kitchen.  I thought maybe you were referring to some new tax program or something.  My husband is pretty good at being up-to-date with taxes and stuff.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 07:46:54 PM »
Taxes vary from city to city, same goes for ordinance and building codes... Don't know about Denver/Co in general but in MN, any mods done inside your home whether it's a bathroom or kitchen especially if you're going to add or remove something from it's original floor plan. It's recommended that you get a permit from the city. Otherwise, future selling of your property might cause snag.

If you and your husband understands the concept of cutting your grass and maintaining your upkeep no more/no less from your neighbors. You would know that there's a reason behind it, and home improvements are no different; all are subjected to assessments. With the exception, that people don't have to know what your house actually worth with the various upgrades. Just failing to cut your grass or allow weed or undesirables on your property. You can be kicked out of your home if you can not conform to your neighborhoods "standards". When your lot/property is deemed undesirable, it affects other properties around the neighborhood. Some people take offense to that even though they are not in the sell market.  Every city/state are in favor of high property values of its residents because they can get more taxes out them. If you're not, the city has no problem with how your neighbors vote you out.

zena

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 12:23:17 PM »
Taxes vary from city to city, same goes for ordinance and building codes... Don't know about Denver/Co in general but in MN, any mods done inside your home whether it's a bathroom or kitchen especially if you're going to add or remove something from it's original floor plan. It's recommended that you get a permit from the city. Otherwise, future selling of your property might cause snag.

If you and your husband understands the concept of cutting your grass and maintaining your upkeep no more/no less from your neighbors. You would know that there's a reason behind it, and home improvements are no different; all are subjected to assessments. With the exception, that people don't have to know what your house actually worth with the various upgrades. Just failing to cut your grass or allow weed or undesirables on your property. You can be kicked out of your home if you can not conform to your neighborhoods "standards". When your lot/property is deemed undesirable, it affects other properties around the neighborhood. Some people take offense to that even though they are not in the sell market.  Every city/state are in favor of high property values of its residents because they can get more taxes out them. If you're not, the city has no problem with how your neighbors vote you out.

Okay.  :)

zena

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »
Some before photos:

zena

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »
When we removed the island top we found junk inside from when they built the house.  You'd think the builders would be proud of their work and not treat it as junk.  When I make art, I'm always very proud of it.  My husband used to to tile and he was always proud of his work.  He would tell me that some of the other guys who did the other stuff (like putting in the tubs and sink, etc.) would piss in them and stuff.  It's sad.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
Btw, we purchased our sink.  It's just waiting to be put in now.

Share once it is put in.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
When we removed the island top we found junk inside from when they built the house.  You'd think the builders would be proud of their work and not treat it as junk.  When I make art, I'm always very proud of it.  My husband used to to tile and he was always proud of his work.  He would tell me that some of the other guys who did the other stuff (like putting in the tubs and sink, etc.) would piss in them and stuff.  It's sad.

OMG all that junks inside of the island.  My island has cabinets and its where I stored my pans and pots. 

Advertisements