Advertisement

Author Topic: PAPAYA SALAD - THE BEST SALAD EVER! SOM TUM PHOTOS GALORE!  (Read 4238 times)

fres thao

PAPAYA SALAD - THE BEST SALAD EVER! SOM TUM PHOTOS GALORE!
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »

If you're not one with an Asian palate, when you think of a salad, you're not thinking - mouthwatering, salty, spicy, tangy, sour, sweet, savory, garlicky, nutty, and fishy deliciousness.  You might be thinking ranch, french, or italian dressing - which is all right in my book but truthfully a little lacking.  If you're familiar with what an Asian salad is, then papaya salad (Som Tum) is right up your alley.

Papaya salad is not only delicious, but papaya itself is a rich source of antioxidant nutrients such as carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids; the B vitamins, folate and pantothenic acid; and the minerals, potassium, copper, and magnesium; and fiber.  Together, these nutrients promote the health of the cardiovascular system and also provide protection against colon cancer. 

Additionally papaya contains the digestive enzyme, papain, which is used like bromelain, a similar enzyme found in pineapple, to treat sports injuries, other causes of trauma, and allergies. 

If you're an athlete, it sounds like the perfect meal to eat at a sports tournament!

###

To read more of our latest blog and to see LOTS AND LOTS of our papaya salad pictures, visit http://soulswithwings.com/blog/2016/7/31/cnmtrs60as89e3ei0y1irj2je9gwpv

Let me know what you think!

Don't forget to follow me and my partner's travelblog @ www.facebook.com/soulswithwings and www.soulswithwings.com

Enjoy, and Fly High!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

fres thao

Re: PAPAYA SALAD - THE BEST SALAD EVER! SOM TUM PHOTOS GALORE!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I don't know if I agree with the athlete part.  Might just have to go in the middle of a game..

I would not recommend it before exercise.

LOL.  I agree.  Especially if you like it spicy!

But in terms of nutrients and holistic health benefits for athletes, papaya is a great super food.

zena

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
I love papaya salad!  But, it's a pain to make it.  You need all those ingredients and if you live far away from the Asian markets (like I do), it's not worth it to have it constantly.  Best to have it during the tournaments or new year and have someone else make it.  :)

fres thao

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
I love papaya salad!  But, it's a pain to make it.  You need all those ingredients and if you live far away from the Asian markets (like I do), it's not worth it to have it constantly.  Best to have it during the tournaments or new year and have someone else make it.  :)

I agree it's a pain to make.  Especially when you have excess papaya and DON'T want to eat it again, then it's wasted.  :/

Fortunately here in Southeast Asia it's abundant and cheap to get.  :D  The best thing is it's different each time. 

fres thao

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:39:12 AM »
Not sure what kind of pepper was used when I ate it at Sac New Years.

But unlike most papaya vendors where the peppers were hot and you can feel the burn in your stomach.  The one I had this time just left the burn on your tongue and lips.  No burning stomach feeling.  Didn't leave much need for the restroom.  So it was a refreshing surprise.

I've experienced that here!  But here, I assume it has to do with the fresh (not not fresh) raw crab.  Our American stomachs probably can't handle it.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »

If you're not one with an Asian palate, when you think of a salad, you're not thinking - mouthwatering, salty, spicy, tangy, sour, sweet, savory, garlicky, nutty, and fishy deliciousness.  You might be thinking ranch, french, or italian dressing - which is all right in my book but truthfully a little lacking.  If you're familiar with what an Asian salad is, then papaya salad (Som Tum) is right up your alley.

Papaya salad is not only delicious, but papaya itself is a rich source of antioxidant nutrients such as carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids; the B vitamins, folate and pantothenic acid; and the minerals, potassium, copper, and magnesium; and fiber.  Together, these nutrients promote the health of the cardiovascular system and also provide protection against colon cancer. 

Additionally papaya contains the digestive enzyme, papain, which is used like bromelain, a similar enzyme found in pineapple, to treat sports injuries, other causes of trauma, and allergies. 

If you're an athlete, it sounds like the perfect meal to eat at a sports tournament!

###

To read more of our latest blog and to see LOTS AND LOTS of our papaya salad pictures, visit http://soulswithwings.com/blog/2016/7/31/cnmtrs60as89e3ei0y1irj2je9gwpv

Let me know what you think!

Don't forget to follow me and my partner's travelblog @ www.facebook.com/soulswithwings and www.soulswithwings.com

Enjoy, and Fly High!

I can have this everyday.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

fres thao

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
Only thing I don't like.  the after-smell.

Funny thing. One of my old internships got a cal-osha warning cause someone reported that there was a rotting dead flesh smell in the office...  I saw the warning on the bulletin board and asked my boss.  She goes "That's because a few of the staff left papaya in their trashcans over the weekend."  We didn't open on weekends, so that meant, trapped air.  yuck. lol

I feel you.  For a long time I didn't like papaya salad because of that, but being here I caved in and am like, bring it on, whoever I need to talk to is going to feel the wrath of the garlicy fishy smell!

As for the office, I wouldn't dare!  ahaha.

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »

The ingredients you need usually can last pretty long.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
  • Shine bright like a diamond
  • Respect: +340
    • View Profile
    • First Financial Security Senior Associate
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Sorry, but that papaya salad does not look appealingly tasty to me. :D

Life insurance with living benefits.
Life insurance with a savings plan.
http://clients.firsfinancialsecurity.com/WF1700

Advertisements