Advertisement

Author Topic: Family hopes for answers in 23-year-old cold case  (Read 3593 times)

fOrEvEr_sUn_76

Family hopes for answers in 23-year-old cold case
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »
This is an UPDATE on Buttercup's article from last March 2016.

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Twenty-three years ago, a 17-year-old St. Paul girl disappeared.  Hang Lee told her family she was going to a job interview and was never seen again. Now, her family is hoping to finally get some answers. It all comes after the man authorities believe was the last person to see her alive is charged yet again with another serious, but unrelated crime. Even though the new, disturbing charge is unrelated -- the court papers directly address the disappearance of Hang Lee.

And sources close to the investigation tell KARE 11 they're hoping they might have leverage to lead them to the girl. “It's not right that she's not found,” said Eileen Lee, Hang’s former boss at Wong’s Café on Rice Street in St. Paul. Eileen talked to Hang that day in 1993 she disappeared. “She called me and said, I'm not coming in, I'm going to a job interview. And I said that's OK,” Eileen Lee said.

When Hang never came home, police assumed she ran away. Until five months later, when they learned the man supposedly interviewing her for a job, Mark Steven Wallace, was a twice-convicted sex offender. “They were very vicious rapes,” said St. Paul Police Sgt. Garry Velento in the 1990s. Over the years, Hang Lee's mother and other family members agonized over not knowing what happened. “That's my sister, she was like my best friend. But this is more finding closure for my mom and dad,” said Hang’s brother Koua Lee in 2005. I don't think that there's any hope, which is hard,” said Eileen Lee.

Hope of finding her alive may have faded, but there is new hope for answers after Mark Steven Wallace, the man police say was the last to see her alive, was arrested last month and charged with kidnapping and holding a woman against her will in a Woodbury motel. The court paperwork in this kidnapping case reference Hang Lee several times, saying Wallace "is the sole suspect in the cold case disappearance of Hang Lee in 1993." It states the victim "described fits of rage where Wallace would threaten to kill her, stating, ‘I've done it before, I will do it again.’"

According to the paperwork, the victim "asked Wallace about the murder, and Wallace stated, "She entered my business and never came out." Leads, in the past, have fizzled.  A promising search of Wallace's home in 2009 ended up finding nothing. But with the threat of a long prison sentence for the newest charges hanging over Wallace's head, investigators are hoping finally, they'll get some answers. “She would be in her 40s now. And she could be having a nice life. She doesn't get that now,” Eileen Lee said. Wallace has never been charged in the disappearance of Hang Lee. Hang's family was paying close attention to the developments in the Jacob Wetterling case last week, and they hope a similar deal is possible to help them bring their loved one home.

To read the update article and watch the updated news video on this story, go here:
http://www.kare11.com/news/local/family-hopes-for-answers-in-23-year-old-case/317308602

To read the new report article about this Mark Steven Wallace suspect, go here:
http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/16/man-charged-in-washington-county-kidnapping-of-a-young-woman/

To read on Buttercup's original report about this story, go here:
http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,380068.msg4826759.html#msg4826759

(Hang Lee, missing since 1993 but her story lives on)

(Mark Steven Wallace, 54, of Andover, strikes again this time preying on a 20-year old unsuspecting woman at a Woodbury Motel)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:04:09 PM by fOrEvEr_sUn_76 »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Family hopes for answers in 23-year-old cold case
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
Yes. I think all hope has been loss. But it's important that the family get some closure and perhaps some justice. Criminals like this guy need to go to prison for life if not a gruesome death.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:24:24 AM »
If she hasn't died, she would have surfaced somewhere sonehow by something or somebody already.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

baddabing

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
She's reborned already.

If you're a girl/women, especially if you're pretty or attractive, avoid living alone or going places alone.  You just never know who's stalking you and waiting for that perfect opportunity to strike.

baddabing

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
Don't go riding in some crazy Guy's pick up truck thinking he's going to give you a job. He was looking to find girls to rape and victimized. He was using Nikki to do that. He tried to rape hang, hang wouldn't gave in, he killed her. That's the story.

If hang was my sister, I'd crucify him, no need for the police.

Advertisements