Advertisement

Author Topic: Wifi Problems.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Wifi Problems.
« on: September 18, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »
I somehow fixed it.  But I would like to know what happened. 

So this is what happened.
I was at home today using the internet on my macbook pro via wifi.  it was working.
I went to school, and it would show that I am connected to the school wifi, but no webpages would load.
We have two types of wifi accesses one which is nonsecure and one that's secured..  I don't know the difference other than one will ask for login name and pw each time (nonsecured) and secure only asks for it the first time you login via the secure wifi setting.
Neither worked. connected but nothing loaded.
I decided to try and connect via my phone's hotspot. same thing, connected but nothing loaded.
When I got home.  Same problem with wifi.  I then plugged in the ethernet cable and it works.
- I did a wifi diagnostics and nothing showed up.

I decided to delete all wifi connections.  And then I connected to my wifi as a new connection.
And it works.

Anyone know what was wrong?

Like this post: 0
Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Adverstisement

Offline Sifu

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: Wifi Problems.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »
Maybe the schools network went down.  It could have allowed access to the network but not to the internet.  Hard to say what the problem is unless it is reoccurring.

Offline bulbasaur

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I posted a solution, but like the wifi connections, it got deleted.   :2funny:

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
Maybe the schools network went down.  It could have allowed access to the network but not to the internet.  Hard to say what the problem is unless it is reoccurring.

School network worked just fine. Other people were able to use it. I was able to use it on my phone and itouch.  Just my laptop was having issues with it.
It happened once before around the time I first got my mac.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:40 PM »
High chance that there's nothing wrong with your school's network or your home network. The problem is with your laptop's wireless card. My 10+ yr old laptop is like that and my ether card is acting up also. It'll work when it wants to work.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »
High chance that there's nothing wrong with your school's network or your home network. The problem is with your laptop's wireless card. My 10+ yr old laptop is like that and my ether card is acting up also. It'll work when it wants to work.

Makes sense.. My laptop is 6 years old.   Just one more school year then I can delete everything off of it. :)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
I somehow fixed it.  But I would like to know what happened. 

So this is what happened.
I was at home today using the internet on my macbook pro via wifi.  it was working.
I went to school, and it would show that I am connected to the school wifi, but no webpages would load.
We have two types of wifi accesses one which is nonsecure and one that's secured..  I don't know the difference other than one will ask for login name and pw each time (nonsecured) and secure only asks for it the first time you login via the secure wifi setting.
Neither worked. connected but nothing loaded.
I decided to try and connect via my phone's hotspot. same thing, connected but nothing loaded.
When I got home.  Same problem with wifi.  I then plugged in the ethernet cable and it works.
- I did a wifi diagnostics and nothing showed up.

I decided to delete all wifi connections.  And then I connected to my wifi as a new connection.
And it works.

Anyone know what was wrong?

Your problem is you have an Apple product  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Seriously, the issue is probably what nightrider says... I had an older HP laptop and it does that every once in a while.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
Your problem is you have an Apple product  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Seriously, the issue is probably what nightrider says... I had an older HP laptop and it does that every once in a while.

LOL. This apple product has been wonderful. Without it. so many students would've failed the courses. :)
6 years and still going strong. 
Probably is just getting old.
I'll replace it eventually.  Just not sure with what.

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »
Likely your network card/software issue; your computer is just confused.  Usually turning your network card off and back on thru some hardware button or software program will work.  If that fails, a full restart on your computer will usually resolve it.

Advertisements