Advertisement

Author Topic: workplace discrimination  (Read 6338 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
workplace discrimination
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
one thing alot of people don't understand is that managers can discriminate against you at work but as long as they don't mention your race as the reason you got no case.  If you feel discriminated against your task is to document everything that was done but most importantly, you have to catch them or get them to say it out loud and in front of others so that they can't claim they never said it.  Until that time, you got no case.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: workplace discrimination
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »
one thing alot of people don't understand is that managers can discriminate against you at work but as long as they don't mention your race as the reason you got no case.  If you feel discriminated against your task is to document everything that was done but most importantly, you have to catch them or get them to say it out loud and in front of others so that they can't claim they never said it.  Until that time, you got no case.

Guess it depends on which employer. I've worked at places where if your boss doesn't follow the code of conduct/ethics and he/she discriminates against you, he/she can be in hot water even if he/she never mention your race.

For examples, he/she is making negative comments about your looks, the clothes you wear, etc., or he/she is displaying things like pictures, posters, and symbols that have racial significance..

What's most important is always speak up, don't be afraid...regar dless if it's against you or you witness it against another person...

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:57:17 AM »
This is what happens when the only plan you have in life is to get hired by someone else. This is why white people continue to kick everybody's a.ss in the business world. They aren't hoping to get hired by you. They create their own businesses and make the system work for them. The Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indians get it. They go to college to become entrepreneurs and implement group economics in their communities. The Hmong go to college hoping to be employed by white people.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
What if they mention your religion or sexual orientation, disability, or even just age?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
This is what happens when the only plan you have in life is to get hired by someone else. This is why white people continue to kick everybody's a.ss in the business world. They aren't hoping to get hired by you. They create their own businesses and make the system work for them. The Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indians get it. They go to college to become entrepreneurs and implement group economics in their communities. The Hmong go to college hoping to be employed by white people.

Yes, this is one that I can agree with you on. Being country less, that's all we can expect to be - be employed by white.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »
What if they mention your religion or sexual orientation, disability, or even just age?
That's what you hope for but the ones who explicitly discriminate tends to be those who were put into management positions but never got management training.  Anyone who got management training knows enough to keep quiet when they discriminate.  Companies often pay some lawyer to hold discrimination training for their management teams.  A manager can discriminate against your race by simply not hiring anyone for anything beyond blue collar work or not promoting anyone or giving them the worst  hours, worst pay, or worst tasks but as long as they don't explicitly say it was because they don't like Asians, you really got no case. 

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
Maybe they arent discriminating agianst the worker..

Maybe they just dont like the worker becuase they argue, lazy, and incompotent?

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

zena

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »
Discrimination doesn't have to always be about race, although, I'm sure that's probably like the #1.  I've been discriminated by my race, being female, and for being poor (when I was younger).  Once, I was discriminated for having one C on my grade report.  Yep, the manager asked and I was just an honest person.  She told me I couldn't work for her store because a C was a no no.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
A C? !?!   that's halarious.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »
A C? !?!   that's halarious.

Would you see a doctor with an average scores on tests?  :2funny: :2funny:

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:57:23 PM »
Guess it depends on which employer. I've worked at places where if your boss doesn't follow the code of conduct/ethics and he/she discriminates against you, he/she can be in hot water even if he/she never mention your race.

For examples, he/she is making negative comments about your looks, the clothes you wear, etc., or he/she is displaying things like pictures, posters, and symbols that have racial significance..

What's most important is always speak up, don't be afraid...regar dless if it's against you or you witness it against another person...
being in hot water in that case is merely the policy of the company.  You still got no legal case if the company chooses to do nothing about it.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
Discrimination doesn't have to always be about race, although, I'm sure that's probably like the #1.  I've been discriminated by my race, being female, and for being poor (when I was younger).  Once, I was discriminated for having one C on my grade report.  Yep, the manager asked and I was just an honest person.  She told me I couldn't work for her store because a C was a no no.
anything that isn't protected is fair game for explicit discrimination .

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
Maybe they arent discriminating agianst the worker..

Maybe they just dont like the worker becuase they argue, lazy, and incompotent?
That's okay becsue laziness isn't protected by law.  The problem is, the law says all this and that about racial discrimination, sexual etc.. but when it happens, you can't do anything about it unless the manager was dumb enough to tell you they were discriminating against you because of your race or sex or orientation or religion.. or whatever else that is explicitly protected.  If they are smart enough to  just assign you the most dangerous tasks or the worst tasks or the worst hours or just not give you priority when you request for time off etc.. nothing you can do about it even if you know they are picking in you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
being in hot water in that case is merely the policy of the company.  You still got no legal case if the company chooses to do nothing about it.

Going by that then even if the company is blatantly racist against you and you've even "catch" them say it in front of others, if they (others and the company) choose to do nothing, then you have no case either.

With that said, there are a few discrimination cases where the person that was discriminated against won eventhough his/her boss/"managers" didn't mentioned his/her "race", "gender", etc., out loud...

Regardless, overall chance of winning an employment discrimination lawsuit is low for the plaintiff which is why there's only been a few winners thus far.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 09:09:52 PM »
Would you see a doctor with an average scores on tests?  :2funny: :2funny:

Actually.yes..

This reminds me of a storie...

Anyways...my aquaintance was talking to me about how he was talking to a doctor..

And he said youd probably assume they all make good grades etc etc...

But he said actually...tha t doctor said that all doctors are pretty much just average...said they make b's and c's in school too..like med school...

Advertisements