Advertisement

Author Topic: List Reasons Why Hmong Businesses Don't Grow  (Read 115458 times)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
List Reasons Why Hmong Businesses Don't Grow
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:15:10 AM »
I know this talented individual who is well-known in her industry. She is well-connected to mainstream so she has no problem landing big clients outside of the Hmong community. What I want to know is why she remains small when she clearly has the clientele to be competitive in her industry. She is a one-woman show when she can totally expand her business. Meanwhile, one of my former professors is in the same exact business. I'd say that he probably isn't as talented as she is. However, he has a full-blown working business with employees and all. And because of this he makes so much more and is so much more recognized.

So my question is: Why are Hmong people so afraid to expand their business?

For example: Hairstylists who are the only stylist in their salon? While Vietnamese will have several. Same thing when it comes to spa/nail salon. The Hmong most likely have one other family member employed but Vietnamese or whites will have a handful.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: List Reasons Why Hmong Businesses Don't Grow
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:54:50 PM »
Your friend's husband limited her.

I know this talented individual who is well-known in her industry. She is well-connected to mainstream so she has no problem landing big clients outside of the Hmong community. What I want to know is why she remains small when she clearly has the clientele to be competitive in her industry. She is a one-woman show when she can totally expand her business. Meanwhile, one of my former professors is in the same exact business. I'd say that he probably isn't as talented as she is. However, he has a full-blown working business with employees and all. And because of this he makes so much more and is so much more recognized.

For example: Hairstylists who are the only stylist in their salon? While Vietnamese will have several. Same thing when it comes to spa/nail salon. The Hmong most likely have one other family member employed but Vietnamese or whites will have a handful.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »

Because mainstream have no need for their services or product.

NkaujNom

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »
Maybe she is content with the way her business is now. Bigger business means more time, money, energy, and expertise.

Offline floaty

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
She probably assessed the risk and cost. Whereas the professor may have expendable money and can risk opening businesses and having employees.

"You drown not by falling into the water, but by staying submerged in it."

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:18:38 AM »
Your friend's husband limited her.

Actually, he is her accountant and has put his own career on hold in order to support hers.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 02:24:47 AM »
But my main point is that why are the Hmong so afraid to expand? It makes us more competitive if and when we do. The ability to do so also increases our wealth and buying power.

We need more entrepreneurs. The next step is getting Hmong entrepreneurs to grow their businesses.

White people can turn a business where they printed pressure-sensitive labels in a garage into a global company. When you think about what some of these companies manufacture it's practically absurd. How can one college kid weaving a plastic strap, for example, turn that company into a mid-large size company that employs hundreds and trades on the stock market?

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »
expansion means an initial cost and risk if losing that investment.  No expansion means reduced risk.

Hmong people don't believe in reinvestment.  They want to keep whatever they can make.

Hmong like to do business under the table which is good short term but prevents them from being able to show profit.  Banks don't support businesses that don't show profit so it is hard for them to take loans from banks for expansion.

Ofcourse its totally possible that your friend doesn't fall into any of those categories too.

Like this post: +1

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:38:16 AM »
Sometimes it's not just about money or being the biggest.  It's simply that some people don't care about that, they value time and personal growth over materialistic money/growth/recognition.

Maybe she has found that right balance between work and freedom.  I don't think you have to be the biggest or most well-known to be considered a success.  If you are happy, love what you do, then you've made it.

I made you read this.

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »
The biggest challenge for any small business is talent.  For Hmong business the same applies.  If they had the talents then the confidence would set in, and they would take the risk.  The other challenge with small business is trust.  Whom do you entrust your business to?  They have the talents but can you trust them?  In respect to Hmong it is because most people are 1st generation and world-class business know-how is difficult and expensive to acquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
a wiseman brought up a good point in another thread which relates entirely to this topic.  Our business don't grow because we don't do referrals.  the wiseman said, one store will not share it's secret with another to level the playing field (which could be argumentative).  this is where we see the failure...rega rdless if store A don't have an item a consumer is looking for, he's not going to refer to store B, who he knows store B has.  same as with hmong doctors, a chiropractor (specializing in personal injury) is not going to refer his patient with a substantial eye injury to a hmong (per se) ophthalmologis t or optometrist.  We're only good at swapping labor, literrally..as with the hmong term, "pab dag, pab zog", we're not too keen on referral business....pe b tsuas paub pab dawb pab do xwb!   ;D

Like this post: +1
wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 05:03:02 AM »
Is it fair to say that people who have a country have a different mentality?

All I see are Hmong people, like blacks, going to school in hopes of getting hired by someone else.

We don't have the fertile grounds in our own community to support businesses unless the service is a necessity - such as medical.

Be a doctor, there will be a line of non-English speaking Hmong elders. But for sure don't expect modern Hmong to be patients. They are not ready for you to see their spouse naked. That is just the truth!

The reason whites are successful is because there will always be a white person willing to hand over good money for a product/service that they probably don't need. This is good group economics for them.

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
Is it fair to say that people who have a country have a different mentality?

All I see are Hmong people, like blacks, going to school in hopes of getting hired by someone else.

We don't have the fertile grounds in our own community to support businesses unless the service is a necessity - such as medical.

Be a doctor, there will be a line of non-English speaking Hmong elders. But for sure don't expect modern Hmong to be patients. They are not ready for you to see their spouse naked. That is just the truth!

The reason whites are successful is because there will always be a white person willing to hand over good money for a product/service that they probably don't need. This is good group economics for them.

Leadership is the problem.  Old guards still guarding.  Young leaders don't want to be entangled in traditions and politics.  In addition, the style of leadership is a problem too.  For example, Hmong leaders are empowered by traditions.  The reality is leaders should empower future generations.  When a leader eats the yolk of his grandchildren he is but a vampire.   This is the type of leadership we have today.  This is true even for America via the ~20T debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nooneever

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
Maybe I am thinking too deep, but perhaps this takes root in how she grew up.  I meet a lot of humble people who are satisfied with what they're earning, but a little ambition wouldn't hurt.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »
Maybe I should say why Hmong don't like starting business since I see that you and I have no business running.  :)

Advertisements