Advertisement

Author Topic: List Reasons Why Hmong Businesses Don't Grow  (Read 115464 times)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: List Reasons Why Hmong Businesses Don't Grow
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »

1. Limited clientele
2. Business/Family Relationships
3. Reinvestment
4. Lack of applicable knowledge/skill/experience/education
5. Funds

In no particular order. And in no part limited to just these examples.

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline Meestahh_Prince

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
Success of a business are heavily backed by their own people as their foundation. Lack of funds, skills and support from Hmong community. That's highly expected though judging by the history they came from.

Like this post: 0

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
Success of a business are heavily backed by their own people as their foundation. Lack of funds, skills and support from Hmong community. That's highly expected though judging by the history they came from.

^^^

I agree with this.

If your group isn't working towards being self-sufficient then forget about doing trade with others.

Not too long ago I saw on television this white, hippy dude in the Amazon rainforest or something like that. There's a tribe that extracts tea from a plant. It's suppose to have all these excellent health benefits. White dude starts his own company off this plant. He employs a bunch of those tribe members to grow and harvest the leaves, while selling it in America and other countries. White dude is totally getting rich.

My thinking is, "why didn't these Amazon people start this business since it was always a staple beverage of theirs?" Oh yeah, no marketing skills. Plus, like the Hmong they probably can't even sell to their own people. Why? Because everybody in their race cultivates it on an individual level so they aren't looking to buy it. Then there's the fact that a white person probably can't relate to these Amazonians. They aren't as willing to believe an Amazonian salesperson for the health benefits whereas they can believe the white dude. White dude is probably like, "hey, it works for me so you should try it."

Take for example "cupping" and "hot stone" therapy. The Hmong have done this for centuries but do you think a white person would believe us? Many medical experts once thought it was physical abuse.  ::) But one image of Gwenyth Paltrow getting this type of treatment and it becomes a luxury treatment at spas.

So these Amazons are like the Hmong. You know how it is. You try to open a pho restaurant but all the Hmong think they can make it better at home.  ::)  Sometimes it isn't about being able to make it better at home. It's about treating yourself because you worked hard for your money. If you aren't using at least some of your own money on yourself then why work?

Hmong Martial Artist

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »
Considering that most Hmong business establishments I've been have been started by the OG's, whose mindset is seeing a business as a job than a means to get rich, it's fairly understandable .  Most people start business to start having an income, particularly those of minorities.  Those of us who were born and raised here have seen and witness many other people get rich and build a fortune, thus we're more inclined to think that starting a business is a means to fortune and wealth.  Even now, most Hmong Businesses I'm aware of are owned by Older Hmong people who only view their place of business as a means to pay the bill and put food on the table.  It's family owned and the parents likely believe they will pass on the business to one of their children.

While lack of business know-how and financial savy plays a part, it's also the lack of drive - or perhaps the lack of knowing that they can actually do more than make just enough to get through a couple of months - that limits Hmong businesses. 

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
xxxxx

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:07:48 PM by Gracified23 »

Offline Rebel

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:42:56 PM by Rebel »

Offline Gracified23

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
My chrome ext has detect this page is suspicious for phishing

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 01:09:51 AM »
I can't speak for that business...but I know for myself, my ugly looks and raspy voice will never spell charisma.  My success would really just to be a ghost for others.  Then that comes right back to the first point.  Reality don't work that way...

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements