Advertisement

Author Topic: Is anyone worried....  (Read 38974 times)

zena

Is anyone worried....
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:07:51 AM »
Is anyone worried that the Hmong culture will lose its true essence because no one is documenting its language, fashion, food, history, etc.?  We only have pieces of things and a lot of times Hmong will only believe what they want to believe.  I see a lot of assimilated Hmong who still believe their last name's better than others who believe they follow the culture to a T who are also educated and do a lot of American things.  But, that's not the true nature of the Hmong culture.  It is an evolutionized one.  A better one, I might add.  But, the true essence of it is truly lost when you become modernized.  Where would my kids find the true Hmong if they were interested in researching it sometime in their adult lives?  Will it not exist?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:17:58 AM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone worried....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:12:14 PM »
Is anyone worried that the Hmong culture will lose its true essence because no one is documenting its language, fashion, food, history, etc.?  We only have pieces of things and a lot of times Hmong will only believe what they want to believe.  I see a lot of assimilated Hmong who still believe their last name's better than others who believe they follow the culture to a T who are also educated and do a lot of American things.  But, that's not the true nature of the Hmong culture.  It is an evolutionized one.  A better one, I might add.  But, the true essence of it is truly lost when you become modernized.  Where would my kids find the true Hmong if they were interested in researching it sometime in their adult lives?  Will it not exist?

I'm surprised you even bring this up here. I recall you said something about being meska and not like your father's father. That's pretty much what it comes down to that determines the future of the Hmong.

Personally, I don't care about Hmong people any more because most think that Hmong culture and it's beliefs are too backward and they only need to be meska.

FetishDream

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »
You want to see hmong?  You go to  hmong new year.  The day that you guys stop doing that even is the day that the hmong culture will take a back seat with the american indians.  At least with them tribes, the usa government pays tribute to.  With the hmong, you guys are on your own.  Secret war is no war according to them. 

Like this post: +1

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
You want to see hmong?  You go to  hmong new year.  The day that you guys stop doing that even is the day that the hmong culture will take a back seat with the american indians.  At least with them tribes, the usa government pays tribute to.  With the hmong, you guys are on your own.  Secret war is no war according to them.

New year is important but nowadays it has become a perverted event where whom ever hosts/runs the new year expects to make $$$ from people. That can die because it services no purpose. New Year isn't an exclusive or a unique event that only belong to the Hmong. Every ethnic in the world has the same idea.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:04:28 PM »
New year is important but nowadays it has become a perverted event where whom ever hosts/runs the new year expects to make $$$ from people. That can die because it services no purpose. New Year isn't an exclusive or a unique event that only belong to the Hmong. Every ethnic in the world has the same idea.

But not every ethnic in the world celebrate the same way. This is the thing about culture. Different cultures celebrate events differently, whether it's marriage, holidays, funerals etc.

3 Years Time

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
I think upgrading technology doesn't mean we're abandoning culture.  Going from the Hmong knife in the kitchen to something more modern yet still making Hmong food for example.  I do hope that someone documents our culture.  I also still see the old Hmong mentality where it's not even just last name, it's also family.  Where people will not share cultural knowledge unless you were from the same lineage regardless of last name.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »

I'm not worried about the bad aspects being gone and it should be gone in this day and age i.e., forcing girls to marry someone they don't care about but I do have some concerns that the good aspects might be forgotten by the generations to come like our language...

There are good and bad in just about every culture so letting go of the bad is cool but losing the good is not so cool..

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
But not every ethnic in the world celebrate the same way. This is the thing about culture. Different cultures celebrate events differently, whether it's marriage, holidays, funerals etc.

Yes, different people celebrate differently but the idea of celebration are the same. 

zena

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
I'm surprised you even bring this up here. I recall you said something about being meska and not like your father's father. That's pretty much what it comes down to that determines the future of the Hmong.

Personally, I don't care about Hmong people any more because most think that Hmong culture and it's beliefs are too backward and they only need to be meska.

You're confusing two different topics.  The one about not being like your parents was to help someone understand that they are different and so they have to understand that the girl they want to be with will also be different.  This topic is about keeping the true identity of what being a Hmong was.

zena

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »

It's not about me.  I grew up in the culture.  I know what it's like.  When I take my kids to the Hmong New Year (and I do it every year, btw), it is not the same way I had experienced it.  My dad threw the very first Hmong New Year in CO back in the 80's. He was the president of the Hmong community at the time and I believe he was also the first one.  I digress. 

You are going all over the place and missing the topic.  The question was are you worried?  Does it matter at all that the language and food and fashion changes and what was before will never be again and is that acceptable?  Does no one really care or is there a community that is working on keeping the essence, the true identity, of what the culture is?

Just curious.  I'm not trying to get a straight answer.  Just wondering if anyone else is also wondering what I'm wondering.

zena

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
I think upgrading technology doesn't mean we're abandoning culture.  Going from the Hmong knife in the kitchen to something more modern yet still making Hmong food for example.  I do hope that someone documents our culture.  I also still see the old Hmong mentality where it's not even just last name, it's also family.  Where people will not share cultural knowledge unless you were from the same lineage regardless of last name.

In the bold, exactly.

zena

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
I'm not worried about the bad aspects being gone and it should be gone in this day and age i.e., forcing girls to marry someone they don't care about but I do have some concerns that the good aspects might be forgotten by the generations to come like our language...

There are good and bad in just about every culture so letting go of the bad is cool but losing the good is not so cool..

As I mentioned, I like the modernized Hmong.  I think it's great.  But, I would want the bad to be documented too to get the real culture recorded.  For instance, the Chinese culture, they have it recorded way back during the dynasties and include the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It's fun learning their culture because it's not just all good things, it's everything so you can see what kind of people they are.  Of course because the Hmong's documents were burned during one of the dynasties, there isn't much, but I'm wondering if anyone is actually recording it for the future generations of people.

zena

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
our culture will still be intact even if the practices differ from the original procedures, just as long as we don't lose identity (proud to proclaim hmong).

i'm more concerned with ethnic cleansing, our beautiful women taken by other men.

How do you know the culture will still be intact?  What are Hmong people doing that still holds the essence of what it is to be Hmong?  And what is a Hmong identity?  What was the identity back then and what is it now?

Why are you concerned by ethnic cleansing when we live in a free world and anyone can choose who they want to be with?  Now, if a group of other race came into the Hmong community and killed off the men and mated with all the girls, I can see ethnic cleansing in that.  But, that's just not happening.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 05:51:33 AM »
Why are you concerned by ethnic cleansing when we live in a free world and anyone can choose who they want to be with?  Now, if a group of other race came into the Hmong community and killed off the men and mated with all the girls, I can see ethnic cleansing in that.  But, that's just not happening.

Some still don't believe that women should have the right to "choose" so they make up stuff to make it sound like women that married/date out of race/ethic group were forced to or tried guilt tripped them ...And I've seen that baseless view coming from White, Black, Hmong, etc., people...

I remembered back in Laos, a Hmong women married a Laotian and the community was giving her hard time too...saying things like having "half breed" children is not good, she's "no longer Hmong", or she thinks she's "too good to be Hmong" among other nonsense... :idiot2:

I am happy to see Hmong women able to empowered themselves here by exercising their right to choose vs. the ones that were oppressed and got treated like dirt/second class citizens where they had no say in the matter.. O0

Offline dlabtsi_os

• Jr. Poster
  • AMAZZZZZZON!
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »
Nope I am not worry. Everyone has their own view of Hmong culture. I have my own view of Hmong culture. There is no single or right culture. If you were to pay attention to Hmong history you see there is a change in Hmong culture. Even during your grandpappy days. What people desire is to not feel awkward when other learns the Hmong culture. Who know one day we can make Non-Hmong son-in-law kowtow when marry our Hmong women.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Test your might!

Advertisements