Advertisement

Author Topic: Is anyone worried....  (Read 38973 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone worried....
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
TheKing, how come you don't answer my questions?

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
I looked....I don't see where I said it anywhere...

I know what you're going to quote already...but. ..did I say it?  Nope!

Oh so now after all these posts, you're going to back pedal and say you've never said, "invented", what's next, you're gonna say you've never said, "cite" too... :idiot2:

Let me go back and see if can see where I said we invented it.

Let me do the work for you and hung TU lo since you two.....

While you're at it, take up my challenge and show me where I was "upset" when others talk about "reckless'' motorcyclists. ..or are you going to tuck and run...and continue to be pointless

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
TheKing, how come you don't answer my questions?

Which one and is it "pointless"?

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:15 PM »
Let me go back and see if can see where I said we invented it.

Let me do the work for you and hung TU lo since you two.....

I looked....I don't see where I said it anywhere...

I know what you're going to quote already...but. ..did I say it?  Nope!

You've said, you didn't "see" it "anywhere" and you supposedly did the "work" for us...

I would not be pointing it out if you haven't said, "invented"...Below is what you've posted that got the ball rolling on "invented", I've even bold "invented" so you can "see" it. However, if you conveniently don't see it anywhere again, that's on you:

If you say I'm pointless, how come you can't make an arguement for it?  《--------  what that means is you citing some examples why I'm pointless. 

But just like every other time you make some "doesn't make sense statement but you think it sounds fancily end all" you can't even back it up. 

Also in what I quoted from you, by you still saying the hmongs adopted it, it's blatantly appearant you failed to see the point that the hmongs folks may have indeed "invented" it by ourselves.    So go back and re-read the part about the pyramids and bow and arrows.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2016, 01:31:59 AM »

There is no standard to being Hmong, other than simply by virtue of being born Hmong. And it is elitistism/segregationism, conservative propaganda, and ignorance - like theposter and yeebkooj - that perpetuates this myth that C have to eat a certain kind of food, you have to speak a certain way, you have to dress a certain way, you have to be a certain way, in order to be considered worthy of an ethnicity.

Hmig Too Low, you repeated that tired line several times already, yet haven't explained what Hmong entails... What are the traits, characteristic s, qualities, etc, which make a person Hmong as opposed to say, Lao or Viet?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:34:05 AM by YeejKoob13 »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2016, 08:17:08 AM »
theKing, why dont you answer my questions?

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »
theKing, why dont you answer my questions?

Which one and is it as "pointless" as I don't see "invented" anywhere?

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:46 AM »
Does this person identify him/herself as a Hmong?

Is the descendant of mixed ethnicities as illustrated below:

paternal                                                                maternal
great-grandparents (Hmong + Irish/German)          great-grandparents (French + Latino)
grandparents (Hmong/Irish/German + Thai)           grandparents (French/Latino + English/Italian)
father (Hmong/Irish/German/Thai)                         mother (French/Latino/English/Italian)

child ---------------> Hmong/Irish/German/Thai/French/Latino/English/Italian

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2016, 04:14:11 AM »
I'm not against interracial coupling. However, I do view it as a way of eroding identity in the long run, especially when it occurs in multiple steps. In fact, the Australians employed this engineering to phase out the Aborigines in the early turn of the century when eugenics was widely practiced.

It is harder to claim identity or relate when your own DNA has been heavily mixed. Biracial children have always claimed that they didn't fully identify or couldn't fully identify with either side. When that happens they lose a lot more than just identity, they lose culture.

Let me demonstrate using religion. Many religions are tied to the particular ethnic group that practices it. For example, Judaism is the result of the Israelites experiencing revelations from God. Since then, many non-Jews have converted to follow the God that revealed Himself to the Jews. Many of them follow because they believe the Jews experienced this revelation even though some have yet to experience it for themselves. Because they believe in the Jews' experience, many of them later come to have their own experiences. Until they have their own experience, they follow all the religious rites and customs without the same meaningful purpose as the Jews.

For example, why do so many Hmong participate in decorating a Christmas Tree? That was never part of our traditions or customs. We do it because it is mainstream America. But before it became mainstream it was really just the Germans. But even before the Germans it was the Scandinavian Vikings who found significance in the evergreen tree during winter solstice. They decorated it in order to entice the spirits return in spring. The Germans used this symbol as an effort to Christianize the pagans.

So why do Hmong put up a Christmas Tree? If it doesn't make sense for Hmong Christians to put up a Christmas tree then it's even more baffling that Hmong atheists or shamanists do it.

The point is that when things get watered down, people find new reasons but most of those reasons are hedonistic. In other words, we put up the Christmas tree because it is fun and festive. 

The same thing happens to those who are the children of interracial couplings. For example, should someone who only has 1/10 of black in them feel all that outraged that some time long ago they had an ancestor who was a slave? This person probably does not feel as outraged as the black person who is and can fully identify as black. If they do feel outraged it is because society tells them they should be.

This is why even though all human beings have less than 1% of sub-sahara African in them, many of us do not identify with blacks.     

Culture is important. It is part of identity but only holds true when interracial couplings occur infrequently.

If culture is important to identity but is also evolving, then which parts of the culture are the key identifiers of an ethnic group?

Language should be #1. Language is pretty unique to a group. It is the most important but also the easiest to lose especially as the world becomes global and very few ethnic groups live in isolation.

Just think about it. Why did God disperse the people at the Tower of Babel? Why was God so against them all speaking the same language?

If you don't believe in God, perhaps ask where languages come from and why they can be so vastly different.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:49:15 PM by Believe_N_Me »

zena

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
Thanks, all for your comments/replies.  I pretty much briefed through it.  The Poster, yep you guys did beat my dad to it.  He threw the first in CO around 1984.  It was over crowded because he didn't expect so many to show up.  My mom sang a hmong chant about a butterfly and my sisters and I danced to it in Hmong clothes.  I got sick afterwards 'cause it was super cold.  I clearly remember watching a young teen dance to "Borderline" by Madonna and was in awe.

Anyway, Believe-in-Me, I'm not sure how this topic got into all this other stuff about race and mixing and stuff.  But, I don't really believe that we all have African in us even if it is less than 1%.  I heard somewhere that Africa was not the only place where human remains/bones were found; that when humans came into existence, it happened around the same time on different continents. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »
Thanks, all for your comments/replies.  I pretty much briefed through it.  The Poster, yep you guys did beat my dad to it.  He threw the first in CO around 1984.  It was over crowded because he didn't expect so many to show up.  My mom sang a hmong chant about a butterfly and my sisters and I danced to it in Hmong clothes.  I got sick afterwards 'cause it was super cold.  I clearly remember watching a young teen dance to "Borderline" by Madonna and was in awe.

Anyway, Believe-in-Me, I'm not sure how this topic got into all this other stuff about race and mixing and stuff.  But, I don't really believe that we all have African in us even if it is less than 1%.  I heard somewhere that Africa was not the only place where human remains/bones were found; that when humans came into existence, it happened around the same time on different continents.

That 1% African is the same 1% Asian you got to question where or how did that chart on Ancestry showing a person looking Meskas get it from??

zena

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
That 1% African is the same 1% Asian you got to question where or how did that chart on Ancestry showing a person looking Meskas get it from??

What?

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2017, 02:24:35 AM »

My response was based on all the other comments regarding preservation of culture. Some people implied that a person is Hmong simply by their DNA. Others said it was values and behavior. So I asked what of mixed children who neither valued or behaved in the ways expected of a traditional Hmong? Are they still Hmong if they have 1/5 of Hmong DNA?

As for the mentioning of Africa, it is based on a widely-known genetics study where geneticists were tracing xy chromosome markers for males.

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
To answer your questions, I'm personally not worried about the evolving culture.  I'm more concerned about how it's evolving, though.  For example, I am purposeful in keeping the good and doing away with the not so good things (that no longer make sense in this society).  I see some people trying to keep the culture for the sake of keeping the culture itself, which results in not adapting well to the current society.  This probabaly does more harm than good.

To preserve things, we just need to document.  If you are concerned about the original truths, then you should look into doing good documentations which will benefit everyone.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2018, 04:27:40 AM »
For the love of God Hmong people, if you are adopting other cultures while abandoning your own, AT LEAST HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE OTHER CULTURE FIRST AND WHY THEY DO IT.

STOP BASTARDIZING SOMEONE ELSE'S CULTURE BECAUSE YOU LOOK LEGITIMATELY STUPID.

'Cause damn, Mikey and Michael are the same name. Why you give your two sons the same name?

:idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Advertisements