Advertisement

Author Topic: Is anyone worried....  (Read 39008 times)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone worried....
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »
How do we even know that the Hmong culture being practice today or even 50 years ago in Laos is true Hmong. The Hmong are known to blend other culture into theirs...

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:28 AM »
Moonangel, Can you still go back to start over so your kids can really be Hmong? Lol

Being Hmong isn't documenting. It's practicing the traditions that are deemed to be Hmong. Knowing about is different from doing it.

But let's not close our minds like the majority of Americans are doing. Let's keep in mind that the 300,000 Hmong in America aren't the only Hmong in the world. If your three kids want to research Hmong, live the Hmong life, they should go to southern China, even the hills of Laos and Thailand. They are not Americanized there.

Is anyone worried that the Hmong culture will lose its true essence because no one is documenting its language, fashion, food, history, etc.?  We only have pieces of things and a lot of times Hmong will only believe what they want to believe.  I see a lot of assimilated Hmong who still believe their last name's better than others who believe they follow the culture to a T who are also educated and do a lot of American things.  But, that's not the true nature of the Hmong culture.  It is an evolutionized one.  A better one, I might add.  But, the true essence of it is truly lost when you become modernized.  Where would my kids find the true Hmong if they were interested in researching it sometime in their adult lives?  Will it not exist?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
Good example. Being Hmong doesn't mean we have to use the sickle to harvest our rice every year. Another more advanced tool can do, and we would still be just as Hmong.

I think upgrading technology doesn't mean we're abandoning culture.  Going from the Hmong knife in the kitchen to something more modern yet still making Hmong food for example.  I do hope that someone documents our culture.  I also still see the old Hmong mentality where it's not even just last name, it's also family.  Where people will not share cultural knowledge unless you were from the same lineage regardless of last name.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:35:08 AM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
That's a nice delusional thought to comfort kids, but realistically the culture has been preserved for centuries because our ancestor live exclusively out high in the mountain away from progressing society influence. Nowadays is different where Hmong must strive to compete with other men to maintain and preserve Hmong identity and practices, and Hmong men are on the loosing end considering more Hmong women no longer deemed them attractive in terms of wealth and prosperity.

Good man. you see and pretty much understand.

Whereas some of the other posters need clarity.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »
Is anyone worried that the Hmong culture will lose its true essence because no one is documenting its language, fashion, food, history, etc.?  We only have pieces of things and a lot of times Hmong will only believe what they want to believe.  I see a lot of assimilated Hmong who still believe their last name's better than others who believe they follow the culture to a T who are also educated and do a lot of American things.  But, that's not the true nature of the Hmong culture.  It is an evolutionized one.  A better one, I might add.  But, the true essence of it is truly lost when you become modernized.  Where would my kids find the true Hmong if they were interested in researching it sometime in their adult lives?  Will it not exist?

Then why are you a christian?,,, As that's very anti-Hmong culture, and thus anti-Hmong integrity of being.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:22:51 AM by YeejKoob13 »

zena

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
Well.  In order to preserve it, you have to be able to change mentalities.  We live in a different world where we're experiencing different ways of life so we're bound to want to create change as we see fit.  Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good.  Hmong people tend to believe this "all or nothing" mentality when it comes to culture and all.  Any criticism is regarded as hate speech.  If we can change the negative stuff (forced marriage, etc.) and find ways to improve the image to be more positive, then it could work.  But to alot, it's all or nothing.  I attribute that to being blind followers, refusing to accept change and just sticking to "tradition."

You're right and it's unfortunate.

zena

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
Some still don't believe that women should have the right to "choose" so they make up stuff to make it sound like women that married/date out of race/ethic group were forced to or tried guilt tripped them ...And I've seen that baseless view coming from White, Black, Hmong, etc., people...

I remembered back in Laos, a Hmong women married a Laotian and the community was giving her hard time too...saying things like having "half breed" children is not good, she's "no longer Hmong", or she thinks she's "too good to be Hmong" among other nonsense... :idiot2:

I am happy to see Hmong women able to empowered themselves here by exercising their right to choose vs. the ones that were oppressed and got treated like dirt/second class citizens where they had no say in the matter.. O0

It's good to see that you see how some Hmong women are being treated.  Modernization for the Hmong still have a long ways to go but I'm sure just like the American culture, a Hmong woman or some Hmong women will eventually stand up to being treated less.

zena

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »
our culture has been in the practice for thousands of years, it will not disappear into the night.  how do i know it will still be intact?  if one acknowledges to be hmong, they will do whatever hmong do, in respect to funerals, weddings, spiritual callings, and even new year celebrations.  don't be like theking who claims to be chinese...:idiot2: :2funny: :2funny: j/k, man... but that's where one would have a lost of identity and lost of culture (self outcast).

not denying anyone of their freedom nor is ethnic cleansing killing off the hmong men...however, when others mate with our women, hmong men are denied purity.  it's a baseless argument...jus t making fun.

No one said it will disappear at all.  It's simply changing quickly.  I see a lot of young Hmong kids not able to speak Hmong and it made me think about the lost of the culture.  I teach them that they have to learn the language first and foremost because communication is key to continue something.

If you are not denying anyone their freedom then there's no issue.

zena

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »
That's a nice delusional thought to comfort kids, but realistically the culture has been preserved for centuries because our ancestor live exclusively out high in the mountain away from progressing society influence. Nowadays is different where Hmong must strive to compete with other men to maintain and preserve Hmong identity and practices, and Hmong men are on the loosing end considering more Hmong women no longer deemed them attractive in terms of wealth and prosperity.

I hope that they are preserving on paper and photos so that the younger generation will have access to it generations down the road. 

zena

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
Nope I am not worry. Everyone has their own view of Hmong culture. I have my own view of Hmong culture. There is no single or right culture. If you were to pay attention to Hmong history you see there is a change in Hmong culture. Even during your grandpappy days. What people desire is to not feel awkward when other learns the Hmong culture. Who know one day we can make Non-Hmong son-in-law kowtow when marry our Hmong women.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

So what are you going to teach your kids about what Hmong is?

zena

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
How do we even know that the Hmong culture being practice today or even 50 years ago in Laos is true Hmong. The Hmong are known to blend other culture into theirs...

Exactly.  Hmong have never recorded anything.  Thus, I'm curious if anyone has had any idea to record the essence of it.

zena

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
Moonangel, Can you still go back to start over so your kids can really be Hmong? Lol

Being Hmong isn't documenting. It's practicing the traditions that are deemed to be Hmong. Knowing about is different from doing it.

But let's not close our minds like the majority of Americans are doing. Let's keep in mind that the 300,000 Hmong in America aren't the only Hmong in the world. If your three kids want to research Hmong, live the Hmong life, they should go to southern China, even the hills of Laos and Thailand. They are not Americanized there.

When my kids are ready to learn about it, I will teach them what I know.  But this topic isn't about me or my kids.  It's a general question about what is documented out there if anything.  I compared it to the Chinese culture.  It's ever changing but you can still find the essence of what being a Chinese is. 

zena

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
Then why are you a christian?,,, As that's very anti-Hmong culture, and thus anti-Hmong integrity of being.

What does religion have anything to do with this topic.  You speak as if I chose my faith.  Do you realize that I was always a Christian?  My mother was a nun in Laos.  Do you know why she became a nun?  Life was hard on her and she was told that in order to have a good life, she'd have to work for herself.  By luck she met my father who was Shaman but he converted because he had a visiting of some sort from God.  So, being Christian is all I know as it pertains to religions.  Culture-wise, I do know a lot.

And why are you so anti-Christians?  I have cousins who are Shaman and I attend the parties and such when I'm invited.  I also have friends who are of other religions and I attend whatever event they have when invited.  I'm not biased to anyone's faith.

btw, just a reminder, this topic isn't about me.  I'm actually asking if it's crosses anyone else's mind how the culture is changing so much and the past is not recorded for the future gens...somethi ng basic that all future gens and go to and say, "this is what Hmong really is."

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 01:26:14 AM »
It's not about me.  I grew up in the culture.  I know what it's like.  When I take my kids to the Hmong New Year (and I do it every year, btw), it is not the same way I had experienced it.  My dad threw the very first Hmong New Year in CO back in the 80's. He was the president of the Hmong community at the time and I believe he was also the first one. 

I can beat you!

The NC new year...a long time ago was held in my relatives backyard!!!

We had to go help clear the grass!

Now the place where the current new year is held, we played the first call game there.  And it was just grass!

Anyways...yeah its sad "real hmong culture is fastly fading"... a lot of the young folks express no care for it.

And their parents could care less too....

Just like that 20 year old hmong girl I met who couldn't speak or understand hmong...

She said her mom told her she didn't want her to learn or speak hmong....

I was thinking... "wtf"...

You know...folks need to realize no matter how hard they try to distance themselves from hmongs and being hmong or hmong-like.....no matter how good your English is and have no accent....no matter how well you fit in into other cultures and ethnicities... and even if all your friends are non hmong and even your best friends.....

At the end of the day...99 percent of you got almond shaped eyes...brown,black hair...tan skin....you're still hmong...

Yo mom was hmong...dad was hmong...granda d was hmong..grandma was hmong...your parents killed cjickens...cow s...pigs....

You are hmong.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 01:39:49 AM »
Moonangel I said I'm worried too!!

Some folks don't even know what this is!!!  Folks in here!!!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements