Advertisement

Author Topic: Negotiating salary  (Read 2625 times)

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Negotiating salary
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »
What are your experiences for negotiating salary for a position that you're qualified for and have experience? Employers start to balk and most of the time reject the price range you offer.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Negotiating salary
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:50:03 PM »
What are your experiences for negotiating salary for a position that you're qualified for and have experience? Employers start to balk and most of the time reject the price range you offer.

For which employer/company and what is the job title exactly?

Without those critical info, it's hard to pin point an accurate answer for it due to too many variables...

six

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:22:27 AM »
Research the salary for your position on glassdoor.  Research the company's competitors' salaries for your position.  Factor in cost of living in the area. 

Never give the employer a range, even if they beg for it.  Don't waste your time applying to jobs where the salary range is too low.  Nothing good can come out of that. Companies rarely hires at the max range. 

Look

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
Good luck on negotiating salary.  Every position has been given a designated salary range.  If you don't fall in that range they will just move on to the next qualified person.

The only folks I know that can negotiate their salary are engineers.  Why because they can invent something for the company which brings in endless revenue.  Everyone is just there to keep the lights on...including CEOs.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
Good luck on negotiating salary.  Every position has been given a designated salary range.  If you don't fall in that range they will just move on to the next qualified person.

The only folks I know that can negotiate their salary are engineers.  Why because they can invent something for the company which brings in endless revenue.  Everyone is just there to keep the lights on...including CEOs.

Uhhh...I doubt engineers are the only ones who can negotiate salary. The last start up I was at was paying $100k per C-level position.  And that's just the recruitment fee, it doesn't even include retainers and other expenses.  If a small start up is willing to pay that much for a CFO or CMO, I'm sure other companies will offer a healthy package to them.

So no, engineers are not the only ones who can negotiate their salary.  My ex-coworker joined a tech company this year as an accountant mgr.  They gave her $100k, she negotiated $120k.  She has a CPA and have the international experience they needed to grow their infrastructure so they need her more than she needed them. 

I negotiated my salary when I was a senior analyst.  I asked for 15% more than what they were offering and they gave it to me.  I knew they need my experience and because they didn't offer better compensations like bonus, I got the increase.

The way I approach salary negotiations is that I look at the market first through whats available online (not always trusty, but gives an idea), if you are using a headhunter you can ask them (again not always 100% trusty but gives an idea).  For me since I have a network of professionals in my field/market and with the same level of skill sets, we share salary information among ourselves, so that we have an idea.  If we go into a company and they aren't willing to negotiate a fair salary, we just move on.  Most of these companies will end up with second rate employees that will be a pain to work with anyways.

Another approach is to also interview with multiple companies so you have a comparison.  When i was interviewing a long time ago I had offers from two company for the same position but the other one offered 10% more so I went with them.

But to add some validity to your statement, if all things are equal and there are two candidates, companies will chose the one that fits their needs the most...i.e the cheaper one.  However in my experience interviewing candidates typically ONE stands out among the rest.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
Another approach I've seen work is to do phases for salary increase.  For example you take the lower rate in year one and then increase the rate in year two to what you wanted originally.

If a company really wants you, they'll do what they can.

Homer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
I say if you're in a position that you can find another higher paying job easily, then I say go and find it. But if not, then negotiate what you can, then use some time to prove yourself and your worth by taking on responsibility and going above and beyond what your job calls for, then use that as ammo on your next review. That's what I would do, but I'm already beyond the negotiating point -- they're already paying me more than what I'm worth.

Sleipnir

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »
I recently quit in June to have the summer off to be home...  It paid well and some people thought I was nuts for leaving.

I started interviewing in August and got hired.  My current employer did ask me what my desired salary was...  and I said similar to what my last job was since it was a lateral move, X dollars/Year...  They moved me onto interview and skills demonstration.  Got hired and they gave me 10% more than what I quoted and asked for... 

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 02:48:19 PM »
Know your worth.  Learn what is the regional market rate in your industry and position.  Negotiate 10-25% above medium market rate.  If they balk at you, that's good.  Better to know they are cheap now than later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisements