Advertisement

Author Topic: External Hardrives  (Read 788 times)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +223
    • View Profile
External Hardrives
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:22:06 AM »
Any to recommend? Aiming for atleast a 2tb for photo/video storage.

I see some seagate ones for relatively cheap, but their review tends to be average to poor. 

The WD My book has the same negative stuff said.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:26:06 AM by anonymouse »

Like this post: 0
Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +328
    • View Profile
Re: External Hardrives
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
I just go for the cheapest one that affords me the most storage space.  The way these things progress, it'll soon be outdated anyway.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +223
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »
If there's a sale during cyber monday.  might get this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147513

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Offline moonangel

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +261
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
I use 4 WD external drives.  Earlier this year, I got the 4th one at 2 tb.  I have nothing on my hard drive these days.

My computer crashed last week.  I took it in to have it serviced.  They cleaned the whole thing up so I had to re-install the operating system.  Damn, that Sierra.  If I didn't have all my stuff on the external drives, I'd be SOL. 

BUT, I've had an external drive crash too.  Lost all the photos for a year and a half that I'll never see ever again.  Couldn't get it extracted.

"In all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other." Carl Sagan

Offline JimmyNeutron

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »
I have an Intel Atom system sitting far away from me connected via 1Gbps LAN and here's what I do:
1. OS on a usb stick
2. Two 2TB drivers encrypted using LUKS
3. When I need it, I decrypt them and copy my data onto the first drive
4. rsync the first drive onto the 2nd drive.
I could've use RAID1, but I like rsync better.

In addition to that, and most importantly, I have a Samsung 2TB SSD(using VeraCrypt) and a 2TB WD passport(VeraCrypt) that I attached to the USB port port, decrypt, and rsync too.  I placed the Samsung in my office, the WD in my car.

Why? Should my home get burglarize, burn down, etc....I have two safe copy elsewhere.  Why encrypted?  So, anyone that steals it, does not get access to my photos.

What brand, type, etc... of HDD/SDD is irrelevant since it's not on 24/7.  I just went with what I used in the past for SSD and HDD.  To hook up the SSD to the computer, I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10Gbps-Adapter-Cable-Drives/dp/B00XLAZODE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483114071&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+3.1+to+sata

We, men, think with our head first then our brain.
You want answers?!?! I want the truth! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
I have a WD as well; however I rarely use it these days.  It's more of a hassle for me to constantly reconnect to it and backup stuff.  I've come to the realization that I don't need to backup everything and most of my pictures I'm okay with not being pixel perfect or in high definition.

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
I have an Intel Atom system sitting far away from me connected via 1Gbps LAN and here's what I do:
1. OS on a usb stick
2. Two 2TB drivers encrypted using LUKS
3. When I need it, I decrypt them and copy my data onto the first drive
4. rsync the first drive onto the 2nd drive.
I could've use RAID1, but I like rsync better.

In addition to that, and most importantly, I have a Samsung 2TB SSD(using VeraCrypt) and a 2TB WD passport(VeraCrypt) that I attached to the USB port port, decrypt, and rsync too.  I placed the Samsung in my office, the WD in my car.

Why? Should my home get burglarize, burn down, etc....I have two safe copy elsewhere.  Why encrypted?  So, anyone that steals it, does not get access to my photos.

What brand, type, etc... of HDD/SDD is irrelevant since it's not on 24/7.  I just went with what I used in the past for SSD and HDD.  To hook up the SSD to the computer, I got one of these:
Oh snap. You must have some really interesting stuff that can bring down the president. Personally, I've only used WD and never had issues with them. I think my oldest one has a 10th birthday coming up.

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Advertisements