Advertisement

Author Topic: The New Macbook Pro™  (Read 1257 times)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
The New Macbook Pro™
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:58 AM »
Was doing homework with classmates and one classmate is telling me about how hyped he is for the new macbook pro.

- Being a poor college student, I tend to stay out of the loop of these things. lol.  Not as trendy as I used to be I guess.
So when I got home, I looked around to see the "new" features and what's so hyped about it.

touch sensored on switch - I don't care.
Touch bar - meh.
thinner - cool.  I like thinner, more portable and I like using a case too so it gets a bit bulkier.
bigger trackpad - cool.  Never had a problem with the size of mine, but a bigger one isn't bad.
USB C - I don't know anything about this. but mine only has 2 usb slots. 

More on the asthetics but..
No more magsafe - :( I liked the magsafe.  Ain't gotta deal with people tripping and sending laptops everywhere. and I didn't have to force anything, it magnetically hooked itself once in range.
no more glowing apple logo - I liked this as well. Can't see it most of the time. But I liked having it there.  It's partly why I chose to go with a clear cover..  I liked seeing it light up. 

I doubt I'll buy one. My Mid-2010 Macbook pro is still good. Probably just needs a clean reboot to run smooth again.  WIll do that once school is done. 

- Hope it gets put on display at school next week so I can go mess with it.

Like this post: 0
Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Adverstisement

Offline can

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +107
    • View Profile
Re: The New Macbook Pro™
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
here's a video of an apple engineer talking about the new stuff  :2funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Offline Evil_K_Man

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:27:05 AM »
Yeah, its so annoying, but I get it.  In order to achieve this form factor, they probably needed to make some sacrifice.  I'm not happy that the magsafe was removed along with the SDcard reader.  If I can't have the magsafe, at least the card reader and one USB 3.0 port (but again, form factor can't work with the larger USB 3.0).  I know USB C is the future, but the future is not here yet.

By the time USB C/thunderbolt becomes mainstream, Apple will be launching an updated Pro.  I'll probably stick to buying the 2015 Pro for now.  The price on these new models are too much and those dongles aren't cheap either.

I'm a gentleman adventurer with roots in the West but aspirations facing all directions.

Offline SupaDupaC

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
i dont know.. it's not that impressive..

the only thing i care about is the keyboard and trackpad, feels great!

touchbar, blah dont care .. im a programmer, is this suppose to make things easier for me? what about my emmet stuff?
usb-c..  i need dongles for everything! but then again.. window laptops do too, except the ones with hdmi

pretty frustrating

Ello' Mate'

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »
Yeah, its so annoying, but I get it.  In order to achieve this form factor, they probably needed to make some sacrifice.  I'm not happy that the magsafe was removed along with the SDcard reader.  If I can't have the magsafe, at least the card reader and one USB 3.0 port (but again, form factor can't work with the larger USB 3.0).  I know USB C is the future, but the future is not here yet.

By the time USB C/thunderbolt becomes mainstream, Apple will be launching an updated Pro.  I'll probably stick to buying the 2015 Pro for now.  The price on these new models are too much and those dongles aren't cheap either.

Yep. I'll wait for a cheaper knockoff dongle.  I was thinking of replacing my mac once i'm done with school depending on where I work.  But nope. Not this new one. Maybe I'll just get an air.

i dont know.. it's not that impressive..

the only thing i care about is the keyboard and trackpad, feels great!

touchbar, blah dont care .. im a programmer, is this suppose to make things easier for me? what about my emmet stuff?
usb-c..  i need dongles for everything! but then again.. window laptops do too, except the ones with hdmi

pretty frustrating

Went to the bookstore since they had it on display.  Most epic fail of them all.  It was locked and the person who's in charge of the mac section wasn't the person who could unlock it. -.-
touch bar was meh.  same thing as the f1 keys. 
I couldn't do anything else since I couldn't mess with it like I do everything else on display.  And then you can't move it either.  There's a sign that reads "Do not unplug, alarm will go off."

Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »
I like the casing.
I like the screen.
I like the operating system.
I like the trackpad.  It works so well.
I like the battery.
It's well put together.
I don't like the price.
I can't play many video games on it.
I won't have one unless my employer buys me one.

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
The only thing I like about it is the USB type c feature.  Anyone buying something new should always check to make sure if it has USB C.  It's better to buy a new machine with this feature and buy a cheap converter than vice versa.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/197145-reversible-usb-type-c-finally-on-its-way-alongside-usb-3-1s-10gbit-performance

Honestly, I don't get why poor college kids need a mac book pro unless they specifically need Apple software to do course work.  You're spending 4-6 years in college.  A $600 Asus would suffice since most probably use it just to go on the internet.  Most people replace their machines every five or so years anyways.

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »

Get the new one, boss.  I know you're banking ;)

Offline highway

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +102
    • View Profile
    • Kiva
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »

My sentiments exactly. I only updated cus my 2010 model had completely expired (I put up a good fight might I add). Now my clean macbook attached to the usb-c hub attached to my cables makes it look like an octopus.

live simply so others may simply live
go vegan

Offline ymmot

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I just want to be cool, like everyone else. It doesn't matter that I'm paying an outrageous price for 3-4-year-old technology.  ;D

Advertisements