Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help understanding real assets  (Read 3502 times)

Jiggles

Need help understanding real assets
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:59:10 AM »
This is for my school research project. Two requirements are 1) to list and explain the major categories of real assets and 2) list and explain individual real assets . I know that real assets are tangible things like real estate, land, oil, metals, etc. But I'm not sure which are a real asset and which are individual. Help please. I just need to know what the difference between real assets and individual real assets is. This isn't really my field of study and I'm lost. Thank you!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Evil_K_Man

Re: Need help understanding real assets
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »
Umm...I remember financial assets vs real assets from college, but never heard of "individual" real asset.  Not sure how that differs from real assets.

But if you ever find out, would be interesting to know what "individual" real asset is.

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:23:39 PM »
This is for my school research project. Two requirements are 1) to list and explain the major categories of real assets and 2) list and explain individual real assets . I know that real assets are tangible things like real estate, land, oil, metals, etc. But I'm not sure which are a real asset and which are individual. Help please. I just need to know what the difference between real assets and individual real assets is. This isn't really my field of study and I'm lost. Thank you!

I've not heard of "individual real asset" before... I know financial assets vs real assets.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
You got a 5k diamond ring...that's individual asset.  You got a 4K TV...that's individual asset.  Individual assets don't hold good value because they are poor liquidity.  Who's going to consider your 5k ring 5k?  The jewelry store will give you maybe 1k.  Your 4K TV you bought for 2k is probably going to fetch your $300.  Some might even call this liabilities...  Other types of assets like this are inventory.  Most company price in their inventory at the fully loaded price on their books but really it's worth JUNK most of the time unless it's common kanban material. For example, company A bought a bunch of custom metal piping.  Unless a company B has a need for those same metal piping, the custom metal piping is JUNK.  On the books company A is listing them at $1000.  In liquidation, the asset is probably worth like $0 if nobody have any use for it.

For example, I ran a company where we had like 3M in inventory.  It's only worth 3M in inventory if you can transform the inventory into usable devices.  Otherwise, these custom parts, we throw away.  Thus our books was padded.  Our real assets were just equipments and cash on hand.  Shitty business to be in.

Advertisements