Advertisement

Author Topic: Manufacturing jobs, will they come back?  (Read 18167 times)

Evil_K_Man

Manufacturing jobs, will they come back?
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »
So today I got into a discussion with my coworker around mfg jobs. She is very passionate about it.  She believes the US should bring them back and thinks or at least wants Trump to do it.  I'm not sure if she's a Trump supporter, but she sounds like one.  Anyways I was telling her that economically its not viable for most company, especially those that manufacture high margin products/goods to bring manufacturing back to the US.  I also told her the ones that did come back were automated away because it was cheaper than China, but she thinks Trump can do it. Whether it be through tariffs/taxes, stern harsh mean words, or punishing companies that produce outside the US, it will be done.  Also because China is corrupt and steals from us and manipulates its currency and world commodities, we should simply cut them off because that's the right and moral thing to do.

At the end I couldn't convince her to at least look at it objectively from an economic standpoint.  She blindly believes it must be done even if it hurts US interest.  I did remind her that China has a population of about 1.4 billion and a growing middle class that is marching towards consumerism that most US companies would love to tap into, but she was like NO, we need to cut the head off.

So I gave up.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:18:19 PM by Evil_K_Man »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Manufacturing jobs, will they come back?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:20:33 PM »
i met this oversea chinese student
he tell me (his word, not mine)
that they (the chinese)
are crazy over american product

chinese people are pretty richer than you think
now they want to be like us
and buy stuff (consumer)

God did not created man...man created god

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »
i met this oversea chinese student
he tell me (his word, not mine)
that they (the chinese)
are crazy over american product

chinese people are pretty richer than you think
now they want to be like us
and buy stuff (consumer)

And we must be the first to "sell" stuff to them.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
I highly doubt that you will ever see companies for whom has moved out of the US to manufacture goods move back to the States. If they do come back, the chances are slim or coming back with the aid of government help (this is probably to encourage other manufacturing companies to follow suit).

I did auditing for a manufacturing company a few years back and that company has moved to Malaysia and Canada. They haven't moved back since because labor there verses here is cheaper and so are parts, the quality is worst but products are passing with satisfactory. These products aren't just any ordinary products being produced. They are military mainframe PCs boards and chips. Costs per PC chip/board is around 20-80g per mainframe. Even the government is going over seas :P

You can be as passionate as you can but if companies can get cheaper laborers and material, they will flat-line America's job needs .

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »
I told her that people need to get with the times and find new skills.  You don't have to go to college, but do trade school or something.

Maybe its better this way, less competition for jobs at our level.

Like this post: +1

FetishDream

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:16:42 PM »
You want to know where it is going?  Look at the shipping industry especially ticker Drys...  She went up 60+ percent in 1 day alone and now down 84%.  :2funny: It could only mean one thing..... 

O0

NkaujNom

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »
No. Which is more favorable? Paying John Doe $15 per hour or Wei Zhang $1 per hour? :(

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
So today I got into a discussion with my coworker around mfg jobs. She is very passionate about it.  She believes the US should bring them back and thinks or at least wants Trump to do it.  I'm not sure if she's a Trump supporter, but she sounds like one.  Anyways I was telling her that economically its not viable for most company, especially those that manufacture high margin products/goods to bring manufacturing back to the US.  I also told her the ones that did come back were automated away because it was cheaper than China, but she thinks Trump can do it. Whether it be through tariffs/taxes, stern harsh mean words, or punishing companies that produce outside the US, it will be done.  Also because China is corrupt and steals from us and manipulates its currency and world commodities, we should simply cut them off because that's the right and moral thing to do.

At the end I couldn't convince her to at least look at it objectively from an economic standpoint.  She blindly believes it must be done even if it hurts US interest.  I did remind her that China has a population of about 1.4 billion and a growing middle class that is marching towards consumerism that most US companies would love to tap into, but she was like NO, we need to cut the head off.

So I gave up.
Republicans are stubborn and illogical so you won't change their minds.  Plus they like to think they're smart so they'll quote Fox news on you as if they knew what they were talking about.  Just let it go.  They forget very quickly and will move onto the next Fox news headliner as soon as  you can prove them wrong.

FetishDream

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
No. Which is more favorable? Paying John Doe $15 per hour or Wei Zhang $1 per hour? :(

With new communist legislation laws, if you pay someone $1, you must pay $14 tax.  So what are we at now?  hrmm   :2funny:

If I am not going to profit, might as well bring my jobs back to the America where Americans can have jobs and blast the name of my company as the savior to today's manufacturing markets.  Trump will make it... Made in America once again...

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »
You want to know where it is going?  Look at the shipping industry especially ticker Drys...  She went up 60+ percent in 1 day alone and now down 84%.  :2funny: It could only mean one thing..... 

O0

I think its a bit more complicated than what you think, but please enlighten us.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Republicans are stubborn and illogical so you won't change their minds.  Plus they like to think they're smart so they'll quote Fox news on you as if they knew what they were talking about.  Just let it go.  They forget very quickly and will move onto the next Fox news headliner as soon as  you can prove them wrong.

There was no talking any sense into her.  She would rather the US struggle for decades than work with the likes of countries like China.  I understand her passion, but she needs to frame it in a rational way.  China is an economic power house that will more than likely become an important player in not just the US, but the world.

NkaujNom

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 06:00:16 PM »
With new communist legislation laws, if you pay someone $1, you must pay $14 tax.  So what are we at now?  hrmm   :2funny:

If I am not going to profit, might as well bring my jobs back to the America where Americans can have jobs and blast the name of my company as the savior to today's manufacturing markets.  Trump will make it... Made in America once again...

You can't charge payroll tax more than an employee's salary because it's always a percentage of their salary... Plus not only did he boast about, but his campaign revolved around cutting taxes for businesses - so we'll see how that goes.

Those off-shored jobs are not coming back. There may be new markets available, but the ones that have gone overseas already are there to stay. Business people are not interested in making America, America again; whoever says that is only sugarcoating the truth. From a business standpoint, it's all about trade and globalization. Having trade with other countries is a great thing for the economy - every country and nation contributes to the health of the overall economy, not just the US alone.

FetishDream

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
You can't charge payroll tax more than an employee's salary because it's always a percentage of their salary... Plus not only did he boast about, but his campaign revolved around cutting taxes for businesses - so we'll see how that goes.

Those off-shored jobs are not coming back. There may be new markets available, but the ones that have gone overseas already are there to stay. Business people are not interested in making America, America again; whoever says that is only sugarcoating the truth. From a business standpoint, it's all about trade and globalization. Having trade with other countries is a great thing for the economy - every country and nation contributes to the health of the overall economy, not just the US alone.

you can't say "CANT"..  Laws can make you change. 

Put higher sanctions on overseas usa companies and watch them changes.  Regulations have killed businesses just as beautiful so there is little protection there unless the government can benefit out of it somehow. 

Shipping containers are about export and import but if the jobs are coming back, it will be mostly export of them made in america goods which then kills the shipping industry. 

I said ticker drys, she lost 84% of her stock today.  There are more things involved in it like bears are covering hence the rise and wall street putting a halt on the shipping industry hence the fall but still, indicators are there....

The creation of jobs will help the economy but if trumps wants to fawk up the economy, be my guest.  I'll win either way.. 

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:12 AM »
you can't say "CANT"..  Laws can make you change. 

Put higher sanctions on overseas usa companies and watch them changes.  Regulations have killed businesses just as beautiful so there is little protection there unless the government can benefit out of it somehow. 

Funny how in one sentence you talk about how regulations killed business and in the prior one you mention "sanctions" against them.  Now if you had said providing tax benefits, that would have been different, but we've seen how that worked in the past.

I said ticker drys, she lost 84% of her stock today.  There are more things involved in it like bears are covering hence the rise and wall street putting a halt on the shipping industry hence the fall but still, indicators are there....

I think when a stock drops that significantly, its indicative of other factors besides performance.  If you are referring to global trade trends using DRYS as a example, I wouldn't. A better indicator is a global industry index like the Dow Jones Global Shipping Index (DJGSH).  Its still doing fine.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
It's not just manufacturing jobs that went overseas.

Ever heard of the HB1 Visa?

Advertisements