Advertisement

Author Topic: Manufacturing jobs, will they come back?  (Read 18171 times)

Evil_K_Man

Re: Manufacturing jobs, will they come back?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »
You realize that the same people who lost their jobs to automations are moved to a different job title like automation tech right?

And how many techs do you need compared to production workers to maintain a production facilities manufacturing output?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

can

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
That is why BnM can empathize so well with them.   ;)

i thought this was her LOL  :idiot2:

FetishDream

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »
Source? Or just an opinion?

observation. 

Must be a market for it thus why they marketed it as such. 

FetishDream

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
And how many techs do you need compared to production workers to maintain a production facilities manufacturing output?

How many automation or robots are there?   :2funny:

Just ask amazon.  They went automation and no one got laid off.   :2funny:

"Before anyone accuses Amazon of laying off human workers in order to facilitate automation, it must be noted that the company is opening more shipping centers and hiring 80,000 seasonal workers."

http://www.catholic.org/news/business/story.php?id=57853

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:36:49 PM by FetishDream »

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
observation. 

Must be a market for it thus why they marketed it as such. 

I bet it probably says organic on it too...lol.  But hey...if cheesy marketing ploys work on simpletons, then good for Amazon.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 05:31:28 PM »
How many automation or robots are there?   :2funny:

Just ask amazon.  They went automation and no one got laid off.   :2funny:

"Before anyone accuses Amazon of laying off human workers in order to facilitate automation, it must be noted that the company is opening more shipping centers and hiring 80,000 seasonal workers."

Wow, Catholic.org.. .didn't see that coming.  And I'm not sure if you read the article but it said "Seasonal" workers, not full time gainfully employed people.  We hire seasonal workers too at our warehouse in Ohio...and they aren't gainfully employed.  But I bet you knew what that was.

But Amazon boss Jeff Bezos' comment in his recent annual meeting that the company plans to deploy 10,000 robots by the end of this year -- up from 1,382 at just three of its warehouses as of mid-2013 -- will replace enough workers to save up to $900 million a year, estimates analyst Shawn Milne, in a report to clients of Janney Capital Markets today. That will enable Amazon to lay off, or not hire, 25,000 workers at $14 an hour, plus healthcare and other benefit.

Nice, try...NOT!!!!

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »

The note says Kiva robots have cut operating expenses by about 20%, quoting Amazon exec Dave Clark, adding that it would translate to roughly $22 million in cost savings for each fulfillment center.

Looks like those jobs are being wiped away and converted to "seasonal" workers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kiva-robots-save-money-for-amazon-2016-6

In case you would like to read some more.

FetishDream

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »
Wow, Catholic.org.. .didn't see that coming.  And I'm not sure if you read the article but it said "Seasonal" workers, not full time gainfully employed people.  We hire seasonal workers too at our warehouse in Ohio...and they aren't gainfully employed.  But I bet you knew what that was.

But Amazon boss Jeff Bezos' comment in his recent annual meeting that the company plans to deploy 10,000 robots by the end of this year -- up from 1,382 at just three of its warehouses as of mid-2013 -- will replace enough workers to save up to $900 million a year, estimates analyst Shawn Milne, in a report to clients of Janney Capital Markets today. That will enable Amazon to lay off, or not hire, 25,000 workers at $14 an hour, plus healthcare and other benefit.

Nice, try...NOT!!!!

You ever work at amazon? 

I have.  Ex employee right here.   :2funny:

Their robot or kiva system does not do the work.  Human hands are still needed to manifest such jobs.  More robots aka kiva means more pods to the worker's station thus results in needing more human workers to manifest it. 

More robots means expansion of the building to make room for more production workers.  So who runs these kiva if they are down?  Who runs around to pick up inventory if they fall out of them pods?  Kiva can not run through products laying on the ground.  They have sensors that stops production if that happens.   To combat this, they must hire more amnesty aka kiva tech if there is an increase in the number of kiva bots. 

With the amount of kiva bots they have, they already having issues of them running into one another.  They get their instruction from the cloud and eats the bar code that is on the ground.  After running over a few and due time, these bar codes get faded and it is like a red light that stays on green thus why the collision. 

So with amazon, an increase in bots automation means more workers are needed to manifest the work order.  More rooms will be needed to host these bots and more work stations are needed to fulfill them orders.  More kiva techs will be needed as well.  But first, get your order in because non of this would not happen if they are not making profit or if you do not order by a truck load.  Cyber monday, their stocks fell by 2%   :2funny:

FetishDream

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »

The note says Kiva robots have cut operating expenses by about 20%, quoting Amazon exec Dave Clark, adding that it would translate to roughly $22 million in cost savings for each fulfillment center.

Looks like those jobs are being wiped away and converted to "seasonal" workers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kiva-robots-save-money-for-amazon-2016-6

In case you would like to read some more.

Read your chit again.  No where it says that it saves money by laying off workers. 

"The cost savings are mostly derived by simply improving warehouse efficiency"

:2funny:

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »
I don't need to work at Amazon, I work at a company that runs production/warehousing here in the US and we've used automation to replace worker.  We have a machine that hand picks and sorts products now.  When I started it was done manually by people.  Now its done by machines.

If what you said was true, how was Amazon able to save over 20% of operational cost?

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Read your chit again.  No where it says that it saves money by laying off workers. 

"The cost savings are mostly derived by simply improving warehouse efficiency"

:2funny:

Jesus you are dense, you need to look up the word "efficiency"...you seem to think it means people can work harder and faster now with machines.  Uhhh...no dummy, efficiency comes from machines doing your work, not you working harder and faster.

The robots can handle the same job as humans in 1/4 the time. It takes a Kiva robot 15 minutes to find, pick and package an order, while it takes humans an average of 60-75 minutes. Warehouses with Kiva robots can also hold up to 50% more inventory because the little guys take up less space. Lastly, Kiva robots can hold up to 750 pounds, so they can haul more stuff than people.

As a result of these efficiencies, Quartz reports that Amazon has slashed operating costs at each warehouse by $22 million, or 22%. If Kiva robots did the same work across all 110 of Amazon's fulfillment centers, that would add up to a savings of $2.5 billion. It's almost important to take into account the cost of installation. Outfitting a warehouse with Kiva robots runs $15-$20 million. So the final cost-saving balance is closer to $800 million. Still, a nice chunk of change. 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:11:14 PM by Evil_K_Man »

FetishDream

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
I don't need to work at Amazon, I work at a company that runs production/warehousing here in the US and we've used automation to replace worker.  We have a machine that hand picks and sorts products now.  When I started it was done manually by people.  Now its done by machines.

If what you said was true, how was Amazon able to save over 20% of operational cost?

How do you know what you read online is what you get?  You got punked by amazon   :2funny:

FetishDream

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »
Jesus you are dense, you need to look up the word "efficiency"...you seem to think it means people can work harder and faster now with machines.  Uhhh...no dummy, efficiency comes from machines doing your work, not you working harder and faster.

The robots can handle the same job as humans in 1/4 the time. It takes a Kiva robot 15 minutes to find, pick and package an order, while it takes humans an average of 60-75 minutes. Warehouses with Kiva robots can also hold up to 50% more inventory because the little guys take up less space. Lastly, Kiva robots can hold up to 750 pounds, so they can haul more stuff than people.

As a result of these efficiencies, Quartz reports that Amazon has slashed operating costs at each warehouse by $22 million, or 22%. If Kiva robots did the same work across all 110 of Amazon's fulfillment centers, that would add up to a savings of $2.5 billion. It's almost important to take into account the cost of installation. Outfitting a warehouse with Kiva robots runs $15-$20 million. So the final cost-saving balance is closer to $800 million. Still, a nice chunk of change. 

I already told you.  You got punked by what you read online.  Kiva does not pick or package anything.  It just finds the product faster but human hand still need to pick the order, stow the order and package them out. 

It just brings the pod to the production worker faster and that is where the efficiency comes in. 

You know anything about junk news?  It is how I be made a killing with some of my stock picks.  Buy the rumor and sell the news.   :2funny:

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
How do you know what you read online is what you get?  You got punked by amazon   :2funny:

Uhhh, because they spent $775 million dollar on Kiva and expect some kind of return on their investment?  If what you said was true, then Amazon is the one that got punked by Kiva.

But since you can't refute it, you're just deflecting.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »
I already told you.  You got punked by what you read online.  Kiva does not pick or package anything.  It just finds the product faster but human hand still need to pick the order, stow the order and package them out. 

It just brings the pod to the production worker faster and that is where the efficiency comes in. 

So before Kiva, who was bringing you your stuff? To your Pod that is?

Advertisements