Advertisement

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV  (Read 1393 times)

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +243
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XV
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:29:24 PM »
Anyone got it?

I don't have a PS4/XB1.  Though I would pick the XB1 because of it's controller.  :)

Seen videos.  Graphics are AMAZING. but gameplay looks like everything else.  Goodbye Turn Based JRPG. We get them in short spurts from small companies now. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:37:53 PM by anonymouse »

Like this post: 0
Try to change the things you cannot accept.

Adverstisement

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XV
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »
The battle system is amazing and the joined attacks are seamless, although may be a bit difficult to control.  The action kept the game fun; but there's a serious lack of customization and monsters.  I hope they have a DLC with more monsters.  I mean, they hinted at Ultros and Diamond (Daemon?) Weapon in Kingsglaive.  This doesn't have to turn into Shadow of the Colossus, but there's so much more they could do with their open world concept.  The game feels incomplete overall, but it does have it's "awww" broments.  Check out Xenoblade Chronicles X; I personally thought that game was much more fun.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
The battle system is amazing and the joined attacks are seamless, although may be a bit difficult to control.  The action kept the game fun; but there's a serious lack of customization and monsters.  I hope they have a DLC with more monsters.  I mean, they hinted at Ultros and Diamond (Daemon?) Weapon in Kingsglaive.  This doesn't have to turn into Shadow of the Colossus, but there's so much more they could do with their open world concept.  The game feels incomplete overall, but it does have it's "awww" broments.  Check out Xenoblade Chronicles X; I personally thought that game was much more fun.

I have xenoblade. Love it.  The missions don't feel very connected, but overall I enjoy it. 

How's ff15 compared to say Kingdom Hearts battle system? Similar?

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »
I have xenoblade. Love it.  The missions don't feel very connected, but overall I enjoy it. 

How's ff15 compared to say Kingdom Hearts battle system? Similar?

The pacing is similar, and it keeps you glued onto the game.  In ffxv you can turn on wait mode.  There are quite a number of differences.  For example you don't really get a live menu of actions in ffxv, you can pull up a menu to look through your items but I think that pauses the game.  The combat controls for both games are different, but I prefer ffxv's combat system.  Having the D-pad swap weapons and the limit break make me feel like Gilgamesh from the Fate/Stay series.  The main character can use every type of weapon in the game.

Magic plays a big role.  You don't "learn" magic per se, but craft them and you can use optional items to make your magic boast a stronger effect.  You can be overpowered easily early on in the game, but later on enemies have more HP.  Also using magic, unless you're wearing the new dlc ring to stop friendly fire,  can hurt you and your team as well.

Overall I feel the AI of ffxv is more advanced than Kingdom hearts, as it should be, but still flawed in the sense that they don't do the things I want them to do.  My teammates aren't as useless in battle as Donald and Goofy in KH and Aranea Highwind is gorgeous eye candy in battle, but there's little to no team synergy.  Everyone's practically jumping in guns blazing doing their own thing and I have little to somewhat control over it.  Going back to my comment about the lack of customization I wish we had more control over their set of actions or goals in combat.  If you've ever played Seiken Densatsu 3 you'll probably know what I mean. 

All of the characters have obvious classes that they would excel at (tank, dps range, etc.), but I don't think there's any kind of machine learning involved.  My character that has the lowest HP and is armed with range weapons doesn't know how to keep a safe distance and is constantly dying in battle.  I'm having to play all the roles in all the battles, but I find ways of making things work.

The action choreography is beautiful and the monsters look gorgeous.  You can even disable the HUD if you want.

Spoiler:
The summons have really awesome cinematics, I might have just been really pumped but these two battles were awesome because of the cinematics, the fight arena, and of course the music.

https://youtu.be/S6WPX3W9_3Y

https://youtu.be/Li4mFMpRhqk

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:21:19 PM by nooneever »

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Well if he can use every weapon that makes it even better..  That was one of my major gripes about kh.  You played sora and that is all.  The drive forms were great because they changed the gameplay.  But it still felt the same.

Thanks for the input.  If I get a job once school starts,  I think about getting it.  Of course, I do have to buy a ps4 though.  And sadly I don't like the controller after playing with the xb1 controller at school.

Offline nooneever

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Well if he can use every weapon that makes it even better..  That was one of my major gripes about kh.  You played sora and that is all.  The drive forms were great because they changed the gameplay.  But it still felt the same.

Thanks for the input.  If I get a job once school starts,  I think about getting it.  Of course, I do have to buy a ps4 though.  And sadly I don't like the controller after playing with the xb1 controller at school.

It's also for xb1!  There are supposedly two important packages coming, one of them adds more playable characters and the other is a multiplayer package that lets you play as other characters.

Offline anonymouse

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:36 AM »
It's also for xb1!  There are supposedly two important packages coming, one of them adds more playable characters and the other is a multiplayer package that lets you play as other characters.

Oh..  I see..  We'll see. first get that job then i'll decide.
There isn't much there on either system for me to play.

For now.. the only games I'm interested in playing.

FF15
Madden (my ps3 died so no more madden otherwise I have no need to buy another one).
Tales of...  (No more traditional JRPG. So I'll settle for tales)
I think that's it lol. 

If KH3 ever comes out. I'll play it.  I have no interest in square's attempt to find ways to nickel and dime you.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
I miss the days of 4 player couch co op.

Advertisements