Advertisement

Author Topic: Life's Milestones  (Read 51071 times)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Life's Milestones
« on: December 23, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »
I'm starting a new journal entry and I was going to title "A New Beginning:  A New Chapter" but I think Life's Milestone is probably more appropriate.  I'm not starting anything new and yet it feels like I am entering a new chapter in my life. 

Like this post: 0
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Life's Milestones
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »
Christmas

Christmas is one of my favorite holidays.  No matter where I am in the world, the beacon of Christmas would bring me to where I need to be, with the people that matters most in my life.  That's how it is with me.  On Christmas I'm found, always.

Like this post: +1
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 08:37:49 AM »
A Family Dinner

When my children were young, it wasn't that hard to have family dinner.  Their schedules were predictable.  As they grew, my oldest son flew the bird nest to his own, my oldest girl left home for schooling, and the others had school and work, activities, or just "not hungry."

On Christmas Day and the day after, we spent time cooking and baking: cookies, bread, brownies, shrimp, crawl fish, fish tom yum, turkey, mash potatoes, papaya, and other family favorites.  Afterward, we gather round to play board/card games- Smashed Up, Monopoly, 5 Seconds Rule, Fibber, Evolution, etc..

Today I'll be on the road taking my girl back to college and visiting my parents.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »
A MN Visit

MN holds fond memories for me and loved ones are here.  Being in this place is sort of bittersweet.  I cherished each place I visit and people I'm with because it'll be awhile before I'm here once more.  Today is pretty cold, cloudy, and light snow.  Planing to have breakfast with my sweet girl and then off I go.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
A Walk with Betsy

Betsy is my dog and I’ve gotten her since she was a puppy.  Now she’s 28 years old in dog years.  2017 started beautifully:  A bright sunny day, a perfect day for strolling in my favorite place –by the lake.  As soon as we got there, we walked to the pier.  Love the crisp air washing over my face, seagulls flying overhead, on one side are rolling waves, on the other clear frozen water you can see down to the rocks.  I peeked to see if I chance upon any fish swimming but they must have gone to deeper water where it’s warmer.  Betsy and I stopped by a cement railing, my eyes closed, and my ears tune into the sound of the rolling waves-washing back and forth.  The ocean waves are the best but this will do for now.  Betsy and I were not the only ones taking advantage of the beautiful weather:  A small group of Chinese men on bicycle passing by, an elderly couple strolling side by side, two men having a lively conversation walked passed, a couple taking pictures, and further down the pier, a solitary man glanced out into the blue water to the endless horizon beyond.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
A Life Envision

I'd like to do more traveling in my later years and dedicate more of my time and energy in giving back, serving others, etc..  If I'm not traveling or volunteering, I'll be happy coup up at home with a cup of coffee or tea, taking a stroll-enjoying the beauty of nature, working my garden, simple things , etc.. .  I'd stay away from partying, drinking, oh... the drinking... Now I can tolerate but I don't think I have the patience later on. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Flip Phone

I confess, I still  have one of those flip phones.  It has one of those tiny little camera ahhhaah.. and texting..click click "a", click click "b", click click click "e" so forth hahaahahhaha.. .but it's functional and that's what matters most to me. 

Even my youngest daughter has a better phone than I (one of those Iphone) because she begged her father for one and he gave in to her but not me.  I still think young girls/people don't need such fancy phone, for what? Do they really need to skype? Twitter? Go on the internet? Get into their facebook? Instagram? I'd rather see them pick up a book, go outside (if the weather is nice), get a job, volunteer, etc...

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Moderation is Key

This may sound harsh but the hmong community is having an alcohol consumption epidemic.  It’s an epidemic – like a disease – brought on by peer/social pressure.  I’m not saying don’t drink –we’re all adult but moderation is key.  Too much of anything is no good and that includes excessive drinking.  I hope it’s just a phase and we don't become a community of alcoholic. 

Maybe I'm not a drinker and I don't really understand the hype of drinking.  If I don't want to drink, I don't have to make up an excuse - just tell the truth:  "I'm sorry, I don't drink but thank you."  Yes, sometimes you seem like the "abnormal" one but at the end of the day, what does social drinking really accomplished other than an excruciating headaches, swollen eyes, looking like an incoherent fool, etc..

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
Feeling Puzzled

So today during my lunch hour, I was catching up on a chinese Drama, The General and I
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4986/12/general-and-i-/

I find myself a little drawn to the character - When he said, "hurry so I don't find myself waiting" and grabbed to kiss her one last time -  My heart melt a little like I was on a tiny/little adrenaline high (but in this case, for the heart.)  Like my heart felt a little warm and fuzzy...a little drunk like it had a little too much too drink..

And later, I wonder..is this the reason why I'm drawn to love Drama and if yes, why do I do that?  I know it was just a fantasy- make believe world.  I've known that all along...

Could I be in love with the idea of love? Or am I just being human? 

In life, I noticed the smallest thing about couples - and when a man drapes his arm over his lady's shoulder - it brings a smile to my lips..
When he holds the door for her - it made me think
When he holds her hands in public - it made me paused..

Why do I think like that?  Am I a hopeless romantic? I don't think so - I thought I'm reasonable to not be fool with things like that ahhahaa..

I still haven't found the answer.  I think love has been polluted by enterprise (corporation) which are very good at digging into our deepest desires and dangles them in front of our face in these so called "dramas (or whatever weakness  it is for you)" and make our heart flutters a little bit... so we come again and again...but at the end of day - we leave empty handed except with the foolish fantasy fed to us hahahaha...

Yet..I'm going to continue watching that darn Dramas........ ....*roll eyes*******

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
I Was Just Thinking

Do you regret exposing your vulnerabilitie s online?  Sometimes I'm amazed at the things coming out of my lips.  I don't know other people's reason for doing what they do, saying the things they said.. For me, being real is important.  So I suppose, in some ways, I do say the darnest things at times.

But I'm not going to admit in real life unless there's concrete proof ;D ;D ;D  In that sense, I'm a coward :D :D :D A big coward...Yes.  But it's not important..

Like this post: +1

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
Hmmmmm

The General and I EP. 20

"If I never see your highness again in this lifetime, I would be no more than a living corpse even if I stay alive."

Powerful stuff here.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:10:13 PM by Dok_Champa »

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »
Tomorrow

Tomorrow I’ll be in a place where they’ll be eating and drinking, drinking and eating.   I don’t mind the eating but it’s the excessive drinking I don’t understand.  Have yet to understand.  Convince me to understand.  I already know how the night will end so my heart is already heavy, not fill with anticipation and or excitement. 

I think if people are courageous to stick to their principles, they would not feel the pressure to drink.  A simple philosophy yet hard to do.  People respond to pressure differently while others are firm to who they are, I think.  Or Am I missing something..? 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »
He Came Home With Blond Hair

My daughter came up to me and show his picture - sure enough he's blond, more reddish/pinkish blond.  I had to double glance and there -staring right back at me is my oldest son.  She ask, "Do you like it?  What do you think?" and I replied, "Oh my goodniiiiiieee eeeee.." and she laughed excitedly and continued, "He came home and yep he was blond.  You should see it.  He'll be back." 

We left to go somewhere and when we returned, there he is, "Mom, do you like it?"  and I said, "wow, looks different.  You look Korean, Japanese, and really bring out your tan."  We laughed and he went on to  explain the process of how he got it done.  He said, "Mom, a few days from now it'll be a little more blond." I listened.

He continues, "Mom, I'm going on vacation with my friends." and from there he proceeded to tell me about his Mexico trip and his blond hair was forgotten. 

Last night he (my blond son) asked me to take him to his friend's house since they're leaving early to catch their flight in the morning.  We talked  and I asked him, "Was I a good mom/were we good parents to you?"  He said, "Mom, you and dad did a great job raising  us.  It's amazing how the little things we learn when we were little shape us to who we are today.  For example, I worked hard not because I want to be rich, make money but I want to do something with my life, accomplish something." and we talk more about life, family, etc..  I pray with him for a safe trip and left.

Driving back, I think of all my children- how each is progressing in their life and smile. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:15 PM »
Sincerity

A poem I came across..

Why is the word yes so brief?
It should be
the longest,
the hardest,
so that you could not decide in an instant to say it,
so that upon reflection you could stop
in the middle of saying it.

This poem is a reflection of Sincerity and you can apply this concept to other things in life.  I admit, I don't make decision lightly and that becomes both my weakness and strength.  It doesn't mean my decisions are always on target/right - just means they are sincere and when you are "sincere" about something, you either received the deepest joy or suffered the deepest cut.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:25:59 PM by Dok_Champa »

Advertisements