Advertisement

Author Topic: Life's Milestones  (Read 50941 times)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Re: Life's Milestones
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 08:49:40 PM »
The first day of Funeral and I was up at 7am cooking all day.  My feet and body aches.  The worst thing I did today was boiling cow skin (the part with the fur) until tender in order to remove the fur.  Then, I meticulously peel the fur with my finger tip and if that doesn't work, use the blade of a small knife to scrap the fur off and you are left with that gelatin skin covering.

I left after dinner was served..cookin g all day I lost my appetite.

Like this post: 0
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
French History

Emmanuel Macron won the presidency - he reminds me of Obama and Le Pen, she was the extreme opponent to the right.  She's anti -immigrant, seeks to break free from European Union, etc... reminds me of someone in the White House right now.

Done w/ busy weekend.  Didn't get to bed till 4am and up at 6am so I was feeling a little like a zombie all day. 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:41 AM »
I just celebrated my birthday recently and oh my goodness....I'm old.  I'm not 50 yet but getting there.  I remember when I was young, I look at people in their 40's or 50's and I thought that was old..and now that i'm here, IT"S STILL OLD :D :D :D

But I'm ok with that.  Growing old is part of life and as long as a person is comfortable in his/her own skin, that's important.  What is growing old looks like?  The physical appearance changes (for better or worse) but the inner beauty/inner self is ageless and the years only enhance it.  AND yes, physical ailments are surfacing.

But the beauty of growing old is that all the people important to me are growing old with me, along with me - we're growing old together and that makes the journey of growing old beautiful.

I wouldn't want to be young while they are growing old without me- that would be sadder. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
Finally the garden is done - planted the pepper seedlings, chicken herbs, lemon grass, lemon grass plant,  and a few perennials around the house.  Afterward, the children wanted bbq and so we took out the grill and bbq a little bit. 
Later in the evening when all is quiet, I'm sitting in a chair w/ drink in hand just enjoying the evening breeze and looking up at the darken sky - a storm is brewing.  The wind really picked up -the branches were swaying left and right but I was in no rush to get inside.  Soon, Betsy, the family dog, came to join me but she was a little nervous w/ the strong wind so I let her inside.  There I am sitting in the dusk enjoying the beauty of my surroundings and the aroma of the pom pom flowers fills the night air.  I close my eyes…and count my blessings.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
A Twin

A lady came up to me and said, "oh you look just like so and so... Every time I see you, I always mistake you for so and so.."  I offer, "do you want to take a picture of her twin and show it to her?"  She didn't have a camera and of course, my flip phone was...... just a flip phone ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
Acupuncture

So today I went and got my first ever acupuncture.   The acupuncturist said my meridian points should flow better.  Ok. 

It's been an hour since I got the procedure done and I do feel more relax (body feels lighter).  I'm going to wait and see.....

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
I'm blessed to be living by a beautiful beach.  One of my favorite past time is an evening stroll along it's shore and there's a pier that goes right into the water - I enjoy strolling along that too.  In the evening, watching the sunset and the evening breeze brushing my hair - smelling the clean air - that's a perfect evening right there. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
It was late at night that I was driving in this small road in this small town (never been there before) ... Got lost and I was trying to get back to the main road.  There was no street light along the road and the only light source was the beam from my car.  Suddenly, the light beam revealed an animal ahead - was it a deer? A dog?  I could tell the animal was rooted to the spot, traumatized to see the beaming car light and I equally traumatized to see it in front of me.  There's no way I could avoid hitting it and possibly saving this life.  In a split second, we came in contact and I knew a life has been lost.  Should I stop  and check what I hit on this dark and forsaken road?  No, I left because I knew there was nothing I could have done.  I left with a heavy heart.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
Today is a beautiful day in my neck of the wood and there's a big tournament in MN this weekend.  Some people I know are there right now along w/ hmong from other parts of the world and US.  Me - I'm home.  I've been gone so much that I prefer to enjoy my quiet weekend home w/ my children.  We'll be doing yard work and later whatever they want to do.  This weekend is all about them.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
Right now I'm in my office working on some paper work and I'll be doing that for the next few days.  I have these playing in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmdAJLBYZYQ&index=6&list=RDGVdsegjCPVY  and sometimes a song that catches my attention came on, I'll stop what i'm doing and listened.  I'm thinking, being human, we all can related to those lyrics in some ways.. and I couldn't help by think that a man loves as much as a woman, as vulnerable as her... and that all of us are vulnerable when it comes to love.

Well, I'm an old lady but young at heart hahahhaha..... so yes, I still listen to these sappy love songs.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
Unexpected life circumstances

My mother in law had a stroke and is still recovering at the hospital.  Watching her going through so many tests, having breathing/feeding tubes going into her, and suffering emotional and physical pain is hard to watch.  I feel hopeless because I can't do much.  At the same time, it's an eye opener to getting old.  I hope I'm one of those blessed soul that passes away quietly w/ little suffering.  My great great grandmother passed away like that:  She was eating breakfast and suddenly her swallowing slow down, she became tired, and within an hour she passed. 

These days the older generations are leaving one by one.  I've attended too many of those funerals this year and soon I'll be heading to Cali for another one.  I don't like to impose on people when I go to funerals out of state so I got everything taken care of.  I'll be going alone (just me myself and I).

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
I've arrived and the weather is pretty hot but not humid like where I'm from.  I still have my flip phone so I have no access to GPS and had to rely on myself to getting around.  This city is pretty huge and the funeral is in the heart of town while I'm staying on the outskirts of town.  Poor planning on my part - lesson learn.  I love the tall palm trees, banana plants (no banana) and flowering shrubs and they reminded me of Laos and Thailand.  The houses here are one level, ranch style, and I see dry patches of grass every where.  However, a vibrant diverse town.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
Tomorrow is the funeral day and so far I've survived driving through the maze of this city.  I've no idea how big this town is and the high ways and by ways can be pretty busy w/ so many constructions.  I took a few minutes to explore today and stopped by "Little Saigon" to taste the pho in this city.  I still prefer the one in my town.  A reminder to not take them for granted:)  Sometimes you think other places have better things but little did you know the best things are right in front of you.  Well, I came across a few of my childhood friends and some of us have gray hairs, some gain weight, some more beautiful than ever.  I'm just blessed to have the opportunity to see them again.  Tomorrow I'm leaving this place and I don't know when I'll set foot here again.  I'm going to savor the air, sights, sound, and the people and if I have the opportunity to stop again, I'll make new experiences.  I can't wait to go home.  This  hotel is on the outskirts of town hehhehe...and right now it's pretty quiet.  If I didn't have anyone waiting at  home..... it can be such a lonely place for sure.  I know I won't last more than a week here before I go insane heheheh....

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
I  hope I’m not over doing it

My son made it to varsity but he needs his sport clearance to play.  A while ago, he ask me to get it for him but I’ve forgotten about it.  The night before practice, he asked me about it and of course his mom didn’t get it done.  He was disappointed and I felt guilty.  The next day,I called and faxed the form over to his doctor to complete.  The office said it usually takes 5 to 7 days. 

Because he didn’t have the sports clearance, my son had to sit out on a 3 hour practice and I felt sick to my stomache w/ guilt.  The next day, I stopped by the dr’s office to hand delivered another copy for her to complete and I was hoping to get it by the end of the day.  Sure enough just when I had almost lose hope, it came through.  I felt relief knowing my son will not have to sit out on another practice… and my stomache returned to normal.

So what did I do?  I send thank you flowers to the doctor.  Now, today my head is a little more clear…..I was thinking... I hope I didn't over do it..  Hmmm, I could have just send her a “thank you” card but flowers…. Well, it’s done. Truth be told, I am grateful the doctor helped me to be a good mother.  Lesson learned. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
Florida

Many years ago, I walked on your sand and wonders how long before we meet again.  Once more, your sand flows through my toes and your salty water washed away the heat of the day.  Your pier standing proud in the distance.  It’s so good to be back though only briefly.  When I left, I gave a last glance and hope that we’ll meet again, someday.

Advertisements