Advertisement

Author Topic: Life's Milestones  (Read 50991 times)

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Life's Milestones
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Congratulation s Dok! Wow you nailed it! Great job.

I want to see pictures!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
So kuv tus cuag (oh boy have to get use to calling that ahhaahaha...), anyway, kuv tus cuag, wants the hmong wedding ASAP.  They wanted this weekend but we're booked w/ emergency crisis so we pushed to three weeks from now.  I was hoping they could wait until Spring or Summer but oh my goodness so soon.  Oh well....

This is my first getting married and I've been educating myself for the big day.  The wedding starts at my house - mej koob, pij laj (best man), groom, bride, niam txais ntsuab and for the longest we kept saying "Niam Tais Ntsuab" but it's actually "Niam Txais Ntsuab."    There's going to be a meal before they're off to the bride's family.

I've never really knew what goes inside lub kawm - now I know:
2 chickens, ib pob mov, salt, oil, knife, 2 spoon (real)

Am I missing anything?

Thank you Lost_forever.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:02:06 PM by Dok_Champa »

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 02:52:20 PM »
My son's Hmong Wedding

I have body aches and sore feet but it is done.  We had two big feast - back to back.  I work better when i'm prepared so I pretty much gave a lot of thought on what needed to be done and when the big day comes, every thing flows nicely.  Feeling relief today.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »
are you excited to be a mother in law? How old is your son? Hmong weddings cost so much, not as as an American wedding but so much preparations. Post up pictures when you can.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »
are you excited to be a mother in law? How old is your son? Hmong weddings cost so much, not as as an American wedding but so much preparations. Post up pictures when you can.
I'm not ready to be a mother in law yet but it's here so I'll learn as I go.  However, I can relate to my nyab and all the fears that come with the new role because I was once in her shoes.  I'll do my best to ease her fear.  I gain a daughter, that's how I see it.  My son is 23 and yes so much preparation but it's done and I AM FEELING RELIEF!  Thank you for asking.   

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Oh The Wonder of Facebook

I have a funny story to tell ahhaha... so recently a niece in Laos was calling me on Facebook and I realized I had to installed that feature to chat live with her.  So I did.  After that, every now and then I'll hear "buzzing" from my phone.  At first I thought I was getting text messages.  I checked and found out It wasn't text messages but rather live chat messages from Facebook.   Well, learn something new today. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
Think Come Think Go On Fav. Singer

If I can go to any concert in the world, I'd choose to go to this guy.  Think come think go, he is such a timeless legend.  Funny thing is, I've no clue what he's saying ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-saDqely-E&list=RD2cmI4ldY3ek&index=14

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »
Majestic, from the most distant time
The sun rises and sets.
Time passes and men cannot stop it.
The four seasons serve them,
But do not belong to them.
The years flow like water.
Everything passes away before my eyes.

-The Emperor Wu of Han

*Besides a song, poems can speak the human heart well.  I love the vivid writings of Chinese poetry - almost like bringing that piece of writing to life and you can feel the writer's sentiment. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
When your teeth decay you cannot
Grow new ones.  When your hair falls
Out you cannot plant it again.
I get up at dawn and look
At myself in the mirror.
My face is wrinkled, my hair
Is grey.  I am filled with pity
For the years that are gone like
Split water.  It can't be helped.
I take a cup of wine and
Turn to the bookcase once more.
Back though the centuries I
Visit Shun and Yu the Great
And Kue Lung, that famous rowdy.
Across three thousand years I
Can still see them plainly.
What does it matter?  My flesh,
Like Theirs, wears away with time

-Lu Yu

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
A Faithful Wife

You know I have a husband.
Why did you give me these two glowing pearls?
I could acknowledge your love
And sew them on my red dress,
But I come from a noble family,
Courtiers of the Emperor.
My husband is an officer in the Palace Guard.
Of course I realize that your intentions
Are pure as the light of Heavan,
But I have sworn to be true to my husband
In life and in death.
So I must give back your beautiful pearls,
With two tears to match them.
Why didn't I meet you
Before I was married?

-Chang Chi

*Pondering.... nws hlub leejtwg nes?  Yog vim li cas nws los kua muag thaum nws muab cov pearls rov qab rau tus txiv neej thiab puas yog kev hlub ua rau nws tseem nrog nws tus txiv los yog reputation?  Nyeem tej no ua rau kuv xav li no. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
Heard the news.  My heart is broken and heavy.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
My son cancelled his American wedding.  He decided to save the $$ towards his honeymoon and future. Good for him and less work for me :D :D I'm booked till August, soooo busy.  This weekend, a funeral and a wedding.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
I have an intern coming this Fall.  This will be my 4th ones. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
What a busy weekend.  Tej laus ib txwm hais tias tus txiv ua nom hos tus niam ua num.  It's not my priority in life to ua nom ua tswv but it's a dream of his that I'm helping.  Hmoob txoj kev ua nom ua tswv, yes makes little impact/changes in society except pab kom sawvdaws txawj sib hlub sib raug zoo vim peb hmoob tseem muaj kev sib cais koj pab kuv pawg, my opinion.

Advertisements