Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my DNA back and this is what it says:  (Read 23604 times)

zena

Got my DNA back and this is what it says:
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
I'm 89% East Asian and 11% Polynesian.

Current facts from my data report:

1.  Polynesians and East Asians do not like to mix race.  Data shows that the majority of Polynesians and East Asians are a 100% pure race.
2.  Most all Polynesians traveled to the islands via Taiwan way back in history.
3.  Hawaii is a Polynesian island (and so is New Zealand).

My question is, if both races are a pure race and I am mixed, it could mean that my ancestors were in a war, and one race lost to the other.  Could this mean the Han Dynasty?? or one of the other Dynasties where Hmongs were being slaughtered or assimilated and thus some escaped because they didn't want to assimilate?

What I found interesting was that most all my matches were Hmong people of varying last names.  Which means that possibly, Hmong and Polynesians were one race at some point before China slaughtered or assimilated them.  They escaped to other countries, including what we know now as the Polynesian Islands.

This also means there is a possibility that if Polynesians and Hmong were one race at some point, and Hawaii is part of Polynesia, that what we call Hmong people now have been part of the United States since its inception.

I am not done with my research.  I'm going to do a few other DNA tests with other companies.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:18:00 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Giggles_Shyly

Re: Got my DNA back and this is what it says:
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
I want to know too :)

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
i once took the DNA test, they told me it was incomplete because I was missing the You chromosome!   :-[

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Jiggles

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
Are those tests accurate? I want to test myself because I have a big nose that my sister says I'm Indian.  ;D

SVanTha

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »
I'm 89% East Asian and 11% Polynesian.

Current facts from my data report:

1.  Polynesians and East Asians do not like to mix race.  Data shows that the majority of Polynesians and East Asians are a 100% pure race.
2.  Most all Polynesians traveled to the islands via Taiwan way back in history.
3.  Hawaii is a Polynesian island (and so is New Zealand).

My question is, if both races are a pure race and I am mixed, it could mean that my ancestors were in a war, and one race lost to the other.  Could this mean the Han Dynasty?? or one of the other Dynasties where Hmongs were being slaughtered or assimilated and thus some escaped because they didn't want to assimilate?

What I found interesting was that most all my matches were Hmong people of varying last names.  Which means that possibly, Hmong and Polynesians were one race at some point before China slaughtered or assimilated them.  They escaped to other countries, including what we know now as the Polynesian Islands.

This also means there is a possibility that if Polynesians and Hmong were one race at some point, and Hawaii is part of Polynesia, that what we call Hmong people now have been part of the United States since its inception.

I am not done with my research.  I'm going to do a few other DNA tests with other companies.

There is no such thing as a "pure" race.  About the purest people left on earth are the Adaman islanders.  Everyone else has been mixing, whether recent or ancient...even the native Americans' ancestors mixed with people in north Asia and Siberia before crossing into the Americas.

The "Polynesians" did not migrate from Taiwan directly.  Polynesians are part of a larger group of people who speak an "Austronesian" language:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_peoples .  The Austronesian language likely formed on Taiwan.  The Austronesians then migrated to the Philippines, then Sumatra.  From Sumatra, some groups migrated west to Malaysia, Indonesia and even as far as Madagascar by Africa.  Other groups migrated east, to Papua New Guinea and all the Micronesia and Polynesian islands, including Hawaii.  Some of the groups that went east eventually formed into people we call "Polynesians" today.

Just because you have "Polynesian" ancestry doesn't mean it's directly from today's people.  Going back, Polynesians are part of "Austronesians".  "Austronesians" in turn likely sprang from Tai people...yup, ancestors of Thai and Lao.  It's believed that a group of people related to Tai people migrated north to the Yangtze river following the coast of China.  The chinese called them the "Baiyue" or "hundred yue": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baiyue .  It's also believed that Hmong people migrated to this area too, before the Chinese came.  This is the likely place where your "Polynesian" ancestry came from (the area all around modern Shanghai).  It's believed that groups from the "Baiyue" people migrated to Taiwan and formed the "Austronesian" language and people.

SVanTha

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
i once took the DNA test, they told me it was incomplete because I was missing the You chromosome!   :-[

Only males have the Y chromosome, yDNA.  But you can test your Mitochondria, mtDNA.  Also, you can get your father or brother to do the Y chromosome test if you want to know about the history of the yDNA in your family.

zena

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »
I want to know too :)

Where did you get this test from? is it free?

ancestry.com

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Are those tests accurate? I want to test myself because I have a big nose that my sister says I'm Indian.  ;D

Yes, I'm sure they are.

There is no such thing as a "pure" race.  About the purest people left on earth are the Adaman islanders.  Everyone else has been mixing, whether recent or ancient...even the native Americans' ancestors mixed with people in north Asia and Siberia before crossing into the Americas.

The "Polynesians" did not migrate from Taiwan directly.  Polynesians are part of a larger group of people who speak an "Austronesian" language:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_peoples .  The Austronesian language likely formed on Taiwan.  The Austronesians then migrated to the Philippines, then Sumatra.  From Sumatra, some groups migrated west to Malaysia, Indonesia and even as far as Madagascar by Africa.  Other groups migrated east, to Papua New Guinea and all the Micronesia and Polynesian islands, including Hawaii.  Some of the groups that went east eventually formed into people we call "Polynesians" today.

Just because you have "Polynesian" ancestry doesn't mean it's directly from today's people.  Going back, Polynesians are part of "Austronesians".  "Austronesians" in turn likely sprang from Tai people...yup, ancestors of Thai and Lao.  It's believed that a group of people related to Tai people migrated north to the Yangtze river following the coast of China.  The chinese called them the "Baiyue" or "hundred yue": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BaiyueIt's also believed that Hmong people migrated to this area too, before the Chinese came.  This is the likely place where your "Polynesian" ancestry came from (the area all around modern Shanghai).  It's believed that groups from the "Baiyue" people migrated to Taiwan and formed the "Austronesian" language and people.

Thanks for your insight.  How do you know for a fact that there is not a pure race?  I guess, ancestry.com is wrong then?  That would not make sense.  Based on what they say, it makes sense. East Asians and Polynesians prefer not to mix.  And, maybe way back they did mix but because they've stayed within their race for so long, their "mix" gene percentage are so small that it doesn't show up at all on the DNA tests.  So, having said that, if I have Polynesians in my DNA, it could either mean that Hmong and Polynesians were once one race or that they didn't break down that gene far enough to see the variations between the two.

I never said that I have Polynesian genes from today.  ::)

You stated in bold, "It's believed..." yeah, I know, me too.  It's all science and science can change.  I'm taking this all with a grain of salt.

Don't make this topic a debate about where Hmong come from. Keep it at the DNA level.  I've done enough research about Hmong people and it hasn't really taught me much except that I'm Hmong and that I want to know the DNA of a Hmong person, 'cause I'd like to know what other ethnicity I have in me or if Hmong is its own ethnicity (hoping to figure this out).

It might be hard for some to understand unless you've been in my shoes but I had someone asked me if I was Hawaiian and someone else asked if I was Native American.  I have round eyes (or less thin and slanted eyes) and olive skin.  I look less Chinese, Laos, and Thai than I do Polynesian.  I've always wondered why they would even assume I wasn't just East Asian.  Even my own daughters tell me I don't look Asian and that I do look Hawaiian or Native American and I've never told them about the people who thought I was those ethnicity.  My DNA report has answered an interesting question but again, I'm not done searching.

A couple helpful links if anyone wants to read on about DNA testing:

DNA Fact or Sicence Ficiton?

Genealogy and Ethnicity DNA Testing – 3 Legitimate Companies

And, if you're curious about how Ancestry.com breaks down the science behind DNA:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:15:05 PM by moonangel »

zena

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »
Btw, my husband also ran his DNA.  He thought he'd be mostly Dutch with variations in Sweden, Norwegian, France.  Turns out, he's 10% British, 5% Irish, 3% Portuguese, 3% Scandinavian, and a very tiny percentage of Middle Eastern.  His dad won't take the test because he feels they aren't true and he believes that he is 100% Dutch.

zena

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
Also, did you know that adopted children use DNA to find their biological parents?  I'm not sure how many companies do this for adopted children but I've watched a few on YT.  It would have to be mostly accurate for these adopted children if they want to find their parents.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
How much did the DNA testing cost you?

zena

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
How much did the DNA testing cost you?

I bought the kit during the Black Friday special for $70.  Normally, it's $100.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
I bought the kit during the Black Friday special for $70.  Normally, it's $100.
Oh, it was a home DNA kit?

SVanTha

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Thanks for your insight.  How do you know for a fact that there is not a pure race?  I guess, ancestry.com is wrong then?  That would not make sense.  Based on what they say, it makes sense. East Asians and Polynesians prefer not to mix.  And, maybe way back they did mix but because they've stayed within their race for so long, their "mix" gene percentage are so small that it doesn't show up at all on the DNA tests.

Where do you get this idea of a "pure" race from?  With maybe the exception of the Adaman islanders (who may not have mixed with any surrounding peoples, still probably have dna from Neanderthals or Denisovans), everyone else is mixed.  Here's how "pure" East Asians are:  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982209020673

Women:

Men:

The different colors are DNA Haplogroups ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup ), mtDNA for the women and yDNA for the men.  Unless you see a group of people with one single color, it means they have multiple ancestries.  Here's one for Hmong and Mien women, but it's not so nice and visual:  http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/3/725.full

Haplogroups to the right, 1-17 for each group of Hmong or Mien.

So, having said that, if I have Polynesians in my DNA, it could either mean that Hmong and Polynesians were once one race or that they didn't break down that gene far enough to see the variations between the two.
No, that's not what it means at all.  You have like the most basic understanding of genetics (honestly, basic might be even too much of a stretch).  I suggest you refrain from coming to wild conclusions.

Don't make this topic a debate about where Hmong come from. Keep it at the DNA level.  I've done enough research about Hmong people and it hasn't really taught me much except that I'm Hmong and that I want to know the DNA of a Hmong person, 'cause I'd like to know what other ethnicity I have in me or if Hmong is its own ethnicity (hoping to figure this out).
Well, you didn't research in the right direction.  Yes, there is not a lot of info, but there's enough; enought for me to tell you where hmong people come from...I can even tell you how they got there, from where and from who.  That information is just as available to me as it is to you.

It might be hard for some to understand unless you've been in my shoes but I had someone asked me if I was Hawaiian and someone else asked if I was Native American.  I have round eyes (or less thin and slanted eyes) and olive skin.  I look less Chinese, Laos, and Thai than I do Polynesian.  I've always wondered why they would even assume I wasn't just East Asian.  Even my own daughters tell me I don't look Asian and that I do look Hawaiian or Native American and I've never told them about the people who thought I was those ethnicity.  My DNA report has answered an interesting question but again, I'm not done searching.
You're making another wrong assumption:  genes do not completely correlate with phenotype (phenotype means physical appearance).  Go back to the chart above for the Men in east asia.  Tibetans ("Tib" in the chart) have nearly 90% yDNA D (the yellow color).  Know who else has 90% or more yDNA D?  Adaman islanders.  According to your logic, they should look the same.  You tell me, do they look the same?

Tibetan:

Adaman Islander:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andamanese_peoples :  "yDNA - The male Y-chromosome in humans is inherited exclusively through paternal descent. Male Onges and Jarawas almost exclusively belong to Haplogroup D-M174.[37] The clade is most common today in Tibet and Japan,..."

zena

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Oh, it was a home DNA kit?

Yes, it's a home kit that they send you.  You're required to register your kit#, provide a sample (your saliva) using the items in the kit, and send the kit back to the company. They will send you your results within 6-8 weeks with a breakdown and a scientific history of your ethnicity.

Giggles_Shyly

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »
Yes, it's a home kit that they send you.  You're required to register your kit#, provide a sample (your saliva) using the items in the kit, and send the kit back to the company. They will send you your results within 6-8 weeks with a breakdown and a scientific history of your ethnicity.

How interesting indeed! I will have to look into it more.

Advertisements