Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my DNA back and this is what it says:  (Read 23592 times)

zena

Re: Got my DNA back and this is what it says:
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
I am Laotian,  adopted at a very young age.  I just wonder what my real parents look like that's all. 😢

If you know for a fact that you are 100% pure Laotian, there's no reason to do the DNA for that reason. There are other reasons people do DNA testing.  At 23andme, I read that you could figure out if you have cancer, heart disease, blindness, other illness, etc. but it cost a bit more.  I have not done 23andme but I plan to and I'll only be doing the basic because I don't really care to know what illnesses I'll come upon.  It would be too depressing to know in advance.

I guess for you, you might want to ask your parents where you were adopted from and backtrack from there.  It would be interesting to learn what you find.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:37:03 PM by moonangel »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »

I actually have no idea what your point is.  What are you trying to prove?

All I am saying is that I did my DNA test and I am not 100% East Asian as I had expected.  And, the 11% Polynesia was a surprise.  If I am 11% Polynesian, it means I am only 50% or less of what my parents are.  So, say my father is 100% East Asian, it would mean that my mom is at least 22% Polynesian or more.  I think both my parents have Polynesian in them because I don't believe my mom is 22%+.  Now, when I say Polynesian, I'm not talking about the Polynesians now.  I am talking about the "grouped" name that Ancestry.com uses.  I'm curious as to why I have "Polynesian" in me.  And, I'm not the only one.  I have at least 3 pages of DNA matches that are mostly (if not all) Hmong people.  These matches are based on the formula Ancestry uses and the matches are like 3-4th cousin all the way down to like 10th cousin or something.  It's intriguing because I don't even know who those Hmong people are and they are supposed to be my 3rd cousin? 

Again, I don't understand your point but I do know that you are trying to throw these large groups of studies in here and I'm not sure how it's helping because I'm basically and simply stating what my DNA showed and the report that came with it to explain the two ethnicity.  Also, as I've said before, I'm not done.  I want to know further about my DNA, not about the breakdown of the big ethnicity around Asia.  I'm less interested in knowing where all the ethnicity are in Asia and more interested in just learning about who I am.  I hope you understand.

Also, my data came from my Ancestry.com with my DNA results, and that's what I'm going by.  I don't know enough about DNA testing to make up stuff.

zena

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
How interesting indeed! I will have to look into it more.

That's great! Good luck!  O0 :)

SVanTha

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
I actually have no idea what your point is.  What are you trying to prove?

All I am saying is that I did my DNA test and I am not 100% East Asian as I had expected.  And, the 11% Polynesia was a surprise.  If I am 11% Polynesian, it means I am only 50% or less of what my parents are.  So, say my father is 100% East Asian, it would mean that my mom is at least 22% Polynesian or more.  I think both my parents have Polynesian in them because I don't believe my mom is 22%+.  Now, when I say Polynesian, I'm not talking about the Polynesians now.  I am talking about the "grouped" name that Ancestry.com uses.  I'm curious as to why I have "Polynesian" in me.  And, I'm not the only one.  I have at least 3 pages of DNA matches that are mostly (if not all) Hmong people.  These matches are based on the formula Ancestry uses and the matches are like 3-4th cousin all the way down to like 10th cousin or something.  It's intriguing because I don't even know who those Hmong people are and they are supposed to be my 3rd cousin? 

Again, I don't understand your point but I do know that you are trying to throw these large groups of studies in here and I'm not sure how it's helping because I'm basically and simply stating what my DNA showed and the report that came with it to explain the two ethnicity.  Also, as I've said before, I'm not done.  I want to know further about my DNA, not about the breakdown of the big ethnicity around Asia.  I'm less interested in knowing where all the ethnicity are in Asia and more interested in just learning about who I am.  I hope you understand.

Also, my data came from my Ancestry.com with my DNA results, and that's what I'm going by.  I don't know enough about DNA testing to make up stuff.

My point is to dissuade you from making ridiculous claims about ALL hmong people based on ONE, your own, genetic data.  This is the same kind of ignorant dribble that created, "hur dur we was Mongols," or "hur dur we was Lost Tribe of Jews."

So, having said that, if I have Polynesians in my DNA, it could either mean that Hmong and Polynesians were once one race...

...it could mean that my ancestors were in a war, and one race lost to the other.  Could this mean the Han Dynasty??

zena

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »
My point is to dissuade you from making ridiculous claims about ALL hmong people based on ONE, your own, genetic data.  This is the same kind of ignorant dribble that created, "hur dur we was Mongols," or "hur dur we was Lost Tribe of Jews."

You're taking this so far out of context.  I have never claimed anything.  As I've said, I'm taking this knowledge (from my DNA report) with a grain of salt.  How funny that you choose to point things that I never claimed to be true or even near the truth and twist it in your own way to think I've made claim.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »
No. It wasn't war.

I'm 89% East Asian and 11% Polynesian.

Current facts from my data report:

1.  Polynesians and East Asians do not like to mix race.  Data shows that the majority of Polynesians and East Asians are a 100% pure race.
2.  Most all Polynesians traveled to the islands via Taiwan way back in history.
3.  Hawaii is a Polynesian island (and so is New Zealand).

My question is, if both races are a pure race and I am mixed, it could mean that my ancestors were in a war, and one race lost to the other.  Could this mean the Han Dynasty?? or one of the other Dynasties where Hmongs were being slaughtered or assimilated and thus some escaped because they didn't want to assimilate?

What I found interesting was that most all my matches were Hmong people of varying last names.  Which means that possibly, Hmong and Polynesians were one race at some point before China slaughtered or assimilated them.  They escaped to other countries, including what we know now as the Polynesian Islands.

This also means there is a possibility that if Polynesians and Hmong were one race at some point, and Hawaii is part of Polynesia, that what we call Hmong people now have been part of the United States since its inception.

I am not done with my research.  I'm going to do a few other DNA tests with other companies.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

zena

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 02:39:05 AM »
Thanks for your insight, R.  I guess for those who don't believe that there are pure races, do your own DNA testing.  It's very interesting.  I have always been a believer of no pure race too and was surprised to find they do exist and I understand how that could be.

I'm still very intrigued by my 11% Polynesian.  It's frustrating yet exciting to see this in my DNA.  It was the same for my husband too when he found he was 10% British.  As you can see, my FIL is not fond of the Brits so learning this, he became very defensive.  The funny thing is, if he does not have any Brit in him, then my husband's mother could be at least 20% British.  Or, she could be 50% British since offsprings can only be less than 50% of whatever their parents are.

nooneever

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »
A pure race, you mean the human race?   :P  Anyways can you msg me about the cost and process or can I msg you with questions?  I've actually been wanting to get this done too.  If we truly are the progeny of wandering nomads and survivors who lost their homeland I'd like to know the composition and similarities of my DNA compared to others.

Member2011

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 04:23:46 AM »
I am interested in what your results are at Wegene.  It's a Chinese DNA website/testing that breaks down Chinese (nationality) groups into much more details than the western based DNA services.  You can upload your results to their website and get another interpretation/breakdown.

I ran my DNA test through 23andMe.  And gives me a result of 90% East Asian and 10% Southeast Asian.  But I also was able to find another Hmong person with about the same result as that through 23andMe as well.

Still an amateur at this, but perhaps that's how the "Hmong DNA" is interpreted by the DNA testing.  Beginning to think that if your DNA comes out like that, it just means you're Hmong and not really mix with some other ethnicity.  But then again the Hmong people seem to mix in with their surrounding neighbors that they live with too.

Gedmatch is another free service you can use your DNA data to play with, although it is a bit more confusing to use.  And DNAland, but I found it gave too vague results.  What is your mtDNA?

zena

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
A pure race, you mean the human race?   :P  Anyways can you msg me about the cost and process or can I msg you with questions?  I've actually been wanting to get this done too.  If we truly are the progeny of wandering nomads and survivors who lost their homeland I'd like to know the composition and similarities of my DNA compared to others.

It's no secret.  The 8th response down on the first page of this topic, I posted a link to the 3 legitimate DNA testers.  Yes, if you have questions you prefer not to mention here you can msg me.

zena

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
I am interested in what your results are at Wegene.  It's a Chinese DNA website/testing that breaks down Chinese (nationality) groups into much more details than the western based DNA services.  You can upload your results to their website and get another interpretation/breakdown.

I ran my DNA test through 23andMe.  And gives me a result of 90% East Asian and 10% Southeast Asian.  But I also was able to find another Hmong person with about the same result as that through 23andMe as well.

Still an amateur at this, but perhaps that's how the "Hmong DNA" is interpreted by the DNA testing.  Beginning to think that if your DNA comes out like that, it just means you're Hmong and not really mix with some other ethnicity.  But then again the Hmong people seem to mix in with their surrounding neighbors that they live with too.

Gedmatch is another free service you can use your DNA data to play with, although it is a bit more confusing to use.  And DNAland, but I found it gave too vague results.  What is your mtDNA?

I did research sites like Gedmatch to upload DNA data but right now I'm not sure I am ready for that yet.  I didn't know about the Chinese site so I'll have to look further into that one when I'm ready to do the DNA data stuff.

How interesting that yours came up with East Asian and Southeast Asian.  I'm planning on doing 23andMe next but I'm waiting until I have spending money for fun things like this.  I'd actually prefer a discount or a special sale but I don't know if 23andMe does that like Ancestry.com does.

Ancestry didn't breakdown my mtDNA.  They discontinued that in 2014.

Member2011

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 01:41:57 AM »
I did research sites like Gedmatch to upload DNA data but right now I'm not sure I am ready for that yet.  I didn't know about the Chinese site so I'll have to look further into that one when I'm ready to do the DNA data stuff.

How interesting that yours came up with East Asian and Southeast Asian.  I'm planning on doing 23andMe next but I'm waiting until I have spending money for fun things like this.  I'd actually prefer a discount or a special sale but I don't know if 23andMe does that like Ancestry.com does.

Ancestry didn't breakdown my mtDNA.  They discontinued that in 2014.

To be honest.  One of the reasons I took a DNA test was I heard "oral history" about my ancestry.  And that was that one of my grandparent (not sure how many generations) was not Hmong, but was of a Southeast Asian (which we are depending on whom you are speaking with) ethnicity.

23andMe just recently release a new compilation of how recent your ancestor's were.  For me, it shown that the Southeast Asian portion was within the time gaps of my Great Grandparent-3rd Great Grandparent, which would prove that the oral history of my ancestor was indeed correct.  But as with everything, take it with some skepticism and doubt, it's the only true way to find your real true answer.  For me, it's almost a confirmation of what I've heard, but at the same time, I'll keep researching.

Which is why, I wouldn't give up hope searching, but would be okay if the results turned out to be boring or not what you expected.

BTW, for 23andMe, just get their $99 ancestry kit, their health options for another $100 is not worth it.

zena

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
Find our blood line and this may lead to Chiyou. We fought against the Chinese with hatchet weapons during Chiyou's time. We throw axes and I think Hmong people should go back to re-learn their original culture. I saw pictures of Chiyou and their ancient text about them using hatchets...

In the bold, just to clarify, I am not trying to find OUR blood line or the history of OUR (the Hmong) culture.  The point of me doing my own DNA testing is to find out who I am, NOT WHAT HMONG IS.  It's an individual and personal choice for personal reasons, so if you want to know who you are, then I recommend doing your own DNA testing.  Don't group every Hmong into what I find out about who I am.  It's going to be different for everyone.

As for the history of the Hmong people, Hmong peeps should learn their history but history doesn't define a person.  It's just history.  We live in a modern society and modern world now and we should progress with it.  We are a different Hmong so lets not use the past to keep us from moving forward.

zena

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
To be honest.  One of the reasons I took a DNA test was I heard "oral history" about my ancestry.  And that was that one of my grandparent (not sure how many generations) was not Hmong, but was of a Southeast Asian (which we are depending on whom you are speaking with) ethnicity.

23andMe just recently release a new compilation of how recent your ancestor's were.  For me, it shown that the Southeast Asian portion was within the time gaps of my Great Grandparent-3rd Great Grandparent, which would prove that the oral history of my ancestor was indeed correct.  But as with everything, take it with some skepticism and doubt, it's the only true way to find your real true answer.  For me, it's almost a confirmation of what I've heard, but at the same time, I'll keep researching.

Which is why, I wouldn't give up hope searching, but would be okay if the results turned out to be boring or not what you expected.

BTW, for 23andMe, just get their $99 ancestry kit, their health options for another $100 is not worth it.

Yes, we do DNA testing for different reasons.  I did mine because everyone I came across kept saying "You look Hawaiian," or "You look Native American."  And, then of course, my daughter told me I didn't look oriental, but more Hawaiian/Polynesian.  And, I also wanted my husband to do his DNA testing because his father was adamant that they were 100% Dutch, or if not, at least 90% Dutch.  Turns out husband is 74% Dutch or Dutch/German.  We'll have to dig further to find out exactly the percentage of each since Ancestry just shows the region.

I know about the extra charge for the health option.  I mentioned it earlier in my post.  I believe I said I didn't need to know about my health 'cause it would be scary.  $99 is still quite a lot for me.   

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 01:37:04 AM »
Interesting topic!

Ill comment later and use logic!

Anyways...

Yoy know what woyld be funnie?  If you send saliva of a monkey! 

But since they arent readily available...se nd saliva of a dog!  Imagine the look on thier techs faces when they see the results!!  Halarious!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements